Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45] Version: 15.45.23.4860 driver needs fixing

cclic
Beginner

The Intel(R) Content Protection HECI Service cannot start because the subject driver package for Windows 7 32-bit installs a 64-bit version of IntelCpHDCPSvc.exe which won't run on a 32-bit system.

The error is eventid 7000 The Intel(R) Content Protection HECI Service service failed to start due to the following error: This version of c:\Windows\system32\IntelCpHeciSvc.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Is this a packaging error? If so, can Intel please fix this?.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
idata
Employee

click-click: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Graphics communities. We will do our best to assist you with this scenario.

In order to look for a possible solution for this issue, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system, please provide the SSU report so we can verify that:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
cclic
Beginner

What I have described is pretty much a no-brainer. Unpack win32_15.45.23.4860.zip and you will see that IntelCpHeciSvc.exe located in the Graphics directory will not run on a 32-bit system. The 32-bit driver https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27360/a08/win32_15.45.23.4860.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27360/a08/win32_15.45.23.4860.zip package should not install an exe that is meant for a 64-bit system. The solution would be for Intel to replace the exe with the correct 32-bit version.

What information from SSU do you need to fix what I assume is a driver packaging mistake? I can assure you my system is running a 32-bit Win7 and runs perfectly well.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

click-click: Thank you very much for that information.

Yes, we ask for the SSU report to confirm the overall information of your hardware, we just wanted to verify a few details about your system in case we need to replicate the issue.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
cclic
Beginner

I just received a notice with the following information:

Our records show the following regarding your recent support request:

Case # : 7003189979

Case Opened: Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Case Completed: Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Case Completed By: Alberto

I thought great, Intel fixed it, so I downloaded the driver again, but the 32-bit package still contains the 64-bit exe

What's the deal? Was this case closed because I did not provide the SSU information which is IMO totally irrelevant

and has nothing to do with how Intel packaged that driver?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

click-click: We completely understand and respect your point and your opinion. Thank you for providing those updates.

At this point we will try to reproduce this scenario to confirm if we can replicate the issue. As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

click-click: I just wanted to let you know that I was able to replicate the issue, I get the error message that the system is not compatible with the graphics driver. So I will send the report to the proper department for them to be aware about this subject.

Thank you for providing this information.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

click-click: I just received an update from the research we are doing on this matter. We tried to replicate the issue again using the Intel® NUC6i3SYH and the issue was not replicated, so in order for us to continue with further research please provide the SSU report since we need to verify more details about your system:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
cclic
Beginner

I don't know what the Intel® NUC6i3SYH packaging has to do with the problematic driver download content I'm talking about , but if you insist, here is the SSU. I am specifically talking about https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27360/a08/win32_15.45.23.4860.zip and not the Intel® NUC6i3SYH bundle which I don't need or want to download. You managed to replicate the issue and research can't because they used a different package. WOW somebody in research needs to listen closely to what the customer is saying. Is it that difficult for research to replace the 64-bit IntelCpHeciSvc.exe with the correct 32-bit version in the driver

download above?

Must be. I wonder how much longer this will drag on before someone finds the time to make the correction.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

click-click: Thank you very much for providing that information, we really appreciate that. We will continue with the research on this subject, as soon as I get any updates I will post them on the thread.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
cclic
Beginner

4 weeks later ..... Hello anybody home ?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello click-click,

Intel would like to thank you for taking the time to report this issue to us.

We have confirmed the issue with the installer package, and thus internal bug report # 1406914802 has been filed. I apologize that it took us longer than expected to get to this point, unfortunately we had to prioritize some critical bugs (e.g. BSOD, crashes). I have elevated the priority of this bug report, so hopefully I can report back with an update soon.

Once again, thank you for your time and patience.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
cclic
Beginner

Thank you. Hopefully, I will hear something soon. This was like pulling teeth for such a simple no-brainer. I'm curious how the bug report will pan out this time.

0 Kudos
cclic
Beginner
0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi again click-click,

Thank you for your patience. We have removed the 32-bit installer from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27360 15.42.23.4860 download site while our team is doing the repacking.

This has taken longer since we also need to make sure any future release(s) don't have the same issue.

In addition, I would like to let you know that our developers confirmed that HECI is not used on Windows 7 32-bit, as it is only for Windows 10 content protection. I know it is still generating the event log entry, but rest assured that should not have any performance or stability impact on your Windows 7 32-bit installation.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
cclic
Beginner

Thanks for the update. Better late than never . Even though HECI may not be used on Windows 7 32-bit, it apparently tries to run causing the error. This should have been caught by QA (LOL) no?

I'm curious if the 32-bit version will ever return and actually get repacked. Time will tell ....

0 Kudos
cclic
Beginner

Back in January, I reported a problem with the packaging of a specific driver. 2 months ago Intel support wrote:

"Thank you for your patience. We have removed the 32-bit installer from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27360 15.42.23.4860 download site while our team is doing the repacking. This has taken longer since we also need to make sure any future release(s) don't have the same issue."

LOL - what a bunch of baloney! I guess the team is still repacking because there is still no 32-bit package. Why don't you just come out and say Intel is no longer supporting the 32-bit version of this driver? Intel - your the best.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello click-click,

Thank you for your response.

I will try to get an update of this problem. I will be getting back to you as soon as possible with the information.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
cclic
Beginner

I'm still waiting for an answer or do you need more time? LOL.. It's only been over a month now since the last reply.

So what's the status on the internal bug report # 1406914802 mentioned previously back in MARCH 6 months ago?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

I know this has been opened for a very long time, and I apologize for it.

I got confirmation that we have effectively removed HECI from the 32-bit driver on Windows 7, thus the next 15.45 release should not add notifications in the event log. Please keep visiting downloadcenter.intel.com for the latest on driver releases, or wait for Windows Update to automatically download the updates validated for your system configuration.

Best Regards

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
cclic
Beginner

I still don't see a 32-bit installer package available here: (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27360/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?v=t. The funny thing is the description on the right for the downloads indicates a 32-bit version, but there is no installer package for that since it was pulled because of the packaging problem. Let me know if you need another year.😂

You say the next release, but will there ever be one? Probably not since the latest package dates back to 2017. Even Lenovo managed to fix your packaging problem for this driver on their download site. Ask Lenovo how to do it since you haven't managed yet.

0 Kudos