Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am experiencing random graphics corruption in Mozilla Firefox.

The issue:

Whenever I minimize Firefox and restore it, the Firefox window appears garbled and text appears to be illegible. Moving the mouse cursor over the affected areas, seems to bring the missing parts of the window into view.

Minimizing, maximizing, or resizing Firefox appears to correct the issue (until I minimize Firefox again and the issue reappears).

While this is annoying and impedes productivity, the graphics corruption is limited only to Firefox. However, since that is my main web browser, I would like to get the issue fixed asap.

Points to observe:

• My laptop has an Intel HD 530 graphics subsystem (running on an Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor)
  • The laptop also has a dedicated nVidia GeForce GTX 950M graphics card
  • I am running Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
  • The issue occurs only in Mozilla Firefox
  • Mozilla does not list this as a known bug in their repository (as far as I can tell, I am the only one experiencing this issue)
  • The corruption persists even after restarting the laptop or starting the machine from cold boot
  • The issue occurs at random
  • I have the latest version of Firefox (with all plugins updated)
  • Creating a new Firefox profile (even with no add-ons installed) will not solve the corruption issue
  • I have 2 versions of Microsoft Direct X installed (Direct X 12 and 9.0c for playing older games) but the issue persisted even before I installed version 9.0c
  • I am running version 20.19.15.4360 of the Intel HD Graphics Driver (I have not updated the drivers nor have I tried any other version yet)
  • I experienced a graphics corruption while typing this post and have attached a screenshot below to demonstrate my issue

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

(in the above screenshot, the complete top part is missing. If I were to move the mouse cursor over the affected areas, then some missing parts will reappear. Minimizing, maximizing, and resizing Firefox will also correct the issue temporarily)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

Looks like Gapudo reports this resolved with 4463. I've been monitoring the thread and no one else is reporting anything. Using the latest driver, is everyone seeing this issue resolved? If not, what driver version and CPU are you using and what's the failure rate? Seeing if I can close this out as fixed or not. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
128 Replies
mmlle
Beginner

OMG, I have that problem too. I have an Dell XPS 15 with Intel HD Graphics 530 and I talked to Dell but they said, that wouldn't be there fault. I hope you could fix this very soon cause it's quite annoying

0 Kudos
JStee9
Beginner

i'm getting glitches in more software now... Thunderbird, LibreOffice and so on.

again, no issues if i switch to NVidia.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

I still tend to an application issue.

Yesterday i installed latest GeForce driver on my Optimus rig and forced Firefox to use GeForce GPU.

(NB you can double-check the active GPU on Optimus rigs via https://analyticalgraphicsinc.github.io/webglreport/ WebGL Report )

Today Firefox' pull-down menu was screwed running on GeForce GPU.

0 Kudos
FiZi
Beginner

I've been using the new beta driver for 5-6 hours so far and I think that might have fixed it.

I haven't had a single corruption yet in Firefox, IE or Opera since installing it.

** Update **

Spoke to soon. Check this out in Opera.

Print Screen:

Photo of same screen

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your feedback, I will test it again and let you know if I get any errors.

Allan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Allan,

I did test the new drivers released by Intel (just to be sure, its version 20.19.15.4424) and the graphics corruptions and glitches are still there.

Ironically (and somewhat amusingly), I experienced a corruption while replying to your post (please see the attached screenshot below).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'd also like to add that, graphics corruption is also occurring with these programs:

• Acrobat Reader DC
  • Corel PaintShop Pro X7
  • Sonic Dash (game from the Windows 10 app store; crashes constantly at startup - when using the Intel HD 530 GPU)
  • Intel WiDi (a wireless connection to a TV results in weird artifacts displaying on the HP Envy 17 notebook's display, but the corruption does not show/transfer onto the TV display)
  • Evernote (graphics glitches when syncing and retrieving data from the cloud, results in little black boxes randomly dispersed across the screen, same as with Acrobat Reader DC and Corel PaintShop Pro X7)
  • MPC-HC x64 (tearing in videos played back from the HDD and SDD, where thin white lines appear across the video images)

Thanks,

Karan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@ Allan [Intel Admin]

I just experienced a graphics corruption in Microsoft Windows 10 Home x64 (screenshot attached below).

Similar types of glitches (with black bars and boxes) occur in Acrobat Reader DC, Corel PaintShop Pro X7, and Evernote.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Here's an example of graphics corruption in Acrobat Reader DC (notice the glitches around the "?" question mark sign).

The issue is more pronounced, if I were to open multiple tabs in Acrobat Reader DC.

And another example of "extreme" graphics corruption in Mozilla Firefox. Glitches like this make Firefox unusable.

Note: today Firefox updated to version 46.0.1 and I'm experiencing more issues with this release.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for gathering more data. I appreciate it.

Allan.
0 Kudos
PSchl1
Beginner

Hi,

these pictures exactly reflect the problem I'm experiencing on my Dell XPS 13 (9350, HD 520).

It happens every day, multiple times per hour and is really annoying. The new driver doesn't change anything, unfortunately.

Most of the time the issue occurs when minimizing an application and opening it again after a few minutes.

I'm quite surprised that the issue is also visible on screenshots. Is this some kind of graphics memory corruption?

Also it seems that disabling the graphics acceleration in Firefox solves the problem (but makes the browser horribly sluggish).

0 Kudos
DRyan1
Beginner

Just wanted to chime in that I am getting exactly the same issues with similar levels of frequency i.e. it is intermittent but happens frequently (often daily or several times a day).

They are especially severe in Firefox but happen in other graphics accelerated parts of applications (not games or 3D stuff just normal 2D applications).

I am running driver 20.19.15.4424 on a desktop Skylake i3 6100 with 530 onboard graphics and no dedicated graphics card. I am using a Gigabyte H110M-S2H motherboard with dual monitors. My primary is via HDMI (1920x1080) and my secondary is via DVI-D (1680x1050). I have the latest firmware and drivers installed for my motherboard.

I am running this on Windows 10 x64 (version 1511) with all the latest updates installed.

0 Kudos
DRyan1
Beginner

Original message:

I installed the beta driver version 4444 a few days ago and I've waited a while to report back so that I can see if the issue reoccurs.

I haven't seen the issue any more in any application and I would have expected it to reoccur in Firefox at least since it happened so frequently there. I will keep an eye out for it and report back if it happens again but it does seem like you may have fixed the problem (at least for my configuration).

Update:

Unfortunately literally a few hours after my last message I've just had it happen again in Firefox. Most of the window was covered in white blocks and I had to minimise / restore the window a few times to get everything to display again.

P.S. I don't know if it's related but another graphic bug I've noticed with your graphics drivers is that the Windows cursor doesn't apply any drop shadow correctly and isn't anti-aliased.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi Stefan3D,

You have that problem on Nvidia also ?

What I see in common for most of you is windows 10 ... hmm I am running windows 8.1, lets test on windows 10.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

@ Ronin

that's right, NVIDIA produces blanked pulldown menus occasionally.

And i had the issue already 5 years ago with an AMD APU.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I just did a stupid insane test. I opened 50 youtube videoclip pages, on Firefox in win 10, processor was running 60-90%, run it for 15 minutes or so, while changing pages and scrolling up and down, and not even one display error. I don't have other video card only Intel HD 530 from i7-6700k.

I have latest windows 10 pro insider build.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

This is the problem I had on my old system with gtx 9800, and although i reported to nvidia they did absolutely nothing, and I am afraid they did nothing till now from what I see.

0 Kudos
PSchl1
Beginner

Hi Ronin, I don't think the problem is stress-related. I also experience this in idle situations.

0 Kudos