Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20950 Discussions

Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am experiencing random graphics corruption in Mozilla Firefox.

The issue:

Whenever I minimize Firefox and restore it, the Firefox window appears garbled and text appears to be illegible. Moving the mouse cursor over the affected areas, seems to bring the missing parts of the window into view.

Minimizing, maximizing, or resizing Firefox appears to correct the issue (until I minimize Firefox again and the issue reappears).

While this is annoying and impedes productivity, the graphics corruption is limited only to Firefox. However, since that is my main web browser, I would like to get the issue fixed asap.

Points to observe:

• My laptop has an Intel HD 530 graphics subsystem (running on an Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor)
  • The laptop also has a dedicated nVidia GeForce GTX 950M graphics card
  • I am running Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
  • The issue occurs only in Mozilla Firefox
  • Mozilla does not list this as a known bug in their repository (as far as I can tell, I am the only one experiencing this issue)
  • The corruption persists even after restarting the laptop or starting the machine from cold boot
  • The issue occurs at random
  • I have the latest version of Firefox (with all plugins updated)
  • Creating a new Firefox profile (even with no add-ons installed) will not solve the corruption issue
  • I have 2 versions of Microsoft Direct X installed (Direct X 12 and 9.0c for playing older games) but the issue persisted even before I installed version 9.0c
  • I am running version 20.19.15.4360 of the Intel HD Graphics Driver (I have not updated the drivers nor have I tried any other version yet)
  • I experienced a graphics corruption while typing this post and have attached a screenshot below to demonstrate my issue

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

(in the above screenshot, the complete top part is missing. If I were to move the mouse cursor over the affected areas, then some missing parts will reappear. Minimizing, maximizing, and resizing Firefox will also correct the issue temporarily)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

Looks like Gapudo reports this resolved with 4463. I've been monitoring the thread and no one else is reporting anything. Using the latest driver, is everyone seeing this issue resolved? If not, what driver version and CPU are you using and what's the failure rate? Seeing if I can close this out as fixed or not. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
128 Replies
MDeCu
Beginner

Happening to me as well. I registered here just so I could express my annoyance that Intel drivers can turn critical software - I think you'll agree that browsers are essential tools these days - on a $2700 laptop (running a Dell XPS 15 9550 with Win 10) into unusable garbage. Intel needs to find a solution posthaste. From the thread history so far, it looks like none of the recently-released updates have resolved the issue.

What is the last stable version of the driver that didn't cause any problems? I would like to roll back to that version.

0 Kudos
PSchl1
Beginner

As far as I know all versions have this issue.

Since this is happening very frequently, I'm wondering why not more people are complaining and why it's so hard for Intel to debug this. Is this only happening in certain configurations? Could it be related to BIOS settings? (Power Management, VT-d/VT-x etc?)

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

It seems that this is happening more in laptop configurations, and it seems that is configuration/settings or software related as I am not having any problems in Firefox or Chrome, and I am using Firefox all day long. I don't have any addons or plugins added to any browser.

Maybe a full system report and see what all of you have in common and it might create problems.

0 Kudos
MDeCu
Beginner

If it is an issue with all versions, it has certainly gotten worse with the latest driver updates. Previously, I would need to minimize/restore Firefox multiple times to get the whole window to draw properly, but there weren't the kinds of black artifacts and text distortion that you see in the screenshots attached to this thread. Videos used to be okay, but now they're a problem (especially, for some reason, New York Times videos), showing major graphics corruption.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I just saw some nytimes videos and is not from the driver, the videos have some desync and color squares issues. I rewind them and those problems happen in the same timeline and they are identical so the problem there is from the video editing.

Try this video and you can change it to 4k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb1cOVOZZBE Split in 4K - YouTube

0 Kudos
PY
Beginner

I feel the same. Bought a Acer V3-372 in january with I5-6200U and HD 520 since my last laptop from ~2006 and thought this would be a nice upgrade.. and it's a win 10 laptop, so not able to revert back to win 7/8

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

How often does this occur? It's been very difficult to reproduce here, wanting to know if there's something we're missing or something in your setup making it occur more often for you.

FiZi wrote that theirs failed ~50%, is anyone reproducing this more often than this?

If so, please fill out the sticky info found /thread/77761 here so we can better compare. Thanks!

0 Kudos
DRyan1
Beginner

With my i3 6100 desktop (and no additional GPUs) with the 4444 beta driver I am getting this problem very occasionally maybe once every week or two whilst before it was multiple times per day. The program I usually see the issue in is Firefox because I use it quite heavily.

It's a definite improvement, but it does seem like the underlying cause has been mitigated rather than actually solved if that makes sense - otherwise why would it happen even occasionally?

0 Kudos
FiZi
Beginner

Sorry for not getting back to this thread recently.

The latest beta drivers (4424) the problem has reduce itself significantly. In fact I cannot remember the last time I saw corruption. I will keep track of it on pen/paper going forward and report back.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%): <strong>X

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenvo T460S and T450S

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-right-width: 1pt; border-bottom-width: 1pt; border-style: none solid solid none; border-right-color: windowtext; border-bottom-color: window...
0 Kudos
FiZi
Beginner

Since my post I've only logged one graphics corruption issue:

2016-06-15 11:56:42 - Paint.net, tabbed back into it from it being minimized

Since that post I upgraded to the latest Intel drivers (4463) and it seems like the issue has been fixed for me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Great news, I hope others can find graphics driver version 4463 very useful.

Allan.
0 Kudos
SScav
Beginner

Hello,

I didn't read the whole board but I'd like to ensure you know that other applications has the issue.

I'm using a lenovo t560 with the intel hd 520 on Windows 10.

I tried different drivers.

And the issue is present sometimes with the windows file explorer (when I resize the windows)

I also got the firefox issue and i'm pretty sure they are linked.

I noticed similar issues in Outlook and SQL Server too. (But it's really minor on SQL Server)

But the more common issue is on Power BI desktop application.

When I open the app, then I click on the Icon in the taskbar to hide the Power BI application, and then I click on the icon to show it again, I got a big black area on the screen.

Here is a screenshot from Power BI so you can have an idea. (Luckily it does stay there if I start using the app)

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Black area on Power BI

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%): X

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo T560

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Not screen related as the issue is exactly the same on an external screen

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8G

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc]...
0 Kudos
PSchl1
Beginner

Thanks, but the problem persists, unfortunately.

Just minimize Firefox (with some tabs open), do some other work in other applications for a few minutes, un-minimize Firefox again and toolbars/menus etc. are plain white.

I'm quite disappointed that Intel cannot get rid of these problems.

Btw., I've installed Ubuntu 16.04 recently. No problems at all.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi pschlan,

I tried many times to replicate your problem, but I never had the problems you have, and my igpu is Intel HD 530. I guess you have latest version of Moxilla. Do you have any plugins installed ?

By the way Windows 10 Insider 14367 is full of bugs. I would not be surprised to have some graphical bugs ...

0 Kudos
PSchl1
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1511 (10586.318) with Firefox 46.0.1.

List of plugins is attached.

Btw I don't think this is a Windows or Firefox bug since on my Desktop PC (which has a GTX 970) I don't experience any problems. And it's running exactly the same software (Windows, Firefox versions).

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I think you should try a clean install of windows 10 only with drivers and Firefox, no other applications, addons or extensions installed.

0 Kudos
DDeBo
Beginner

Lenovo ThinkPad T460p with HD 530 and nVidia 940MX; WQHD display. Windows 10 Pro, latest HD 530 driver currently available from Lenovo (20.19.15.4416).

Corroborating the experience of many others here, mostly with Firefox - seeing the same video corruption. I do not recall seeing it when using the laptop's built-in display, though; it only seems to happen on the external display (Dell U2415) when my desktop extended is across both displays.

I've reconfigured to have Firefox use the nVidia 940MX am not currently seeing an issue. This, of course, is not an ideal long-term solution.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi you guys,

Are you seeing the issue resolved with 4463? Could you all confirm please? I'm wanting to know if it's closed out or if I should continue to push this internally for a fix. Thanks.

0 Kudos
DDeBo
Beginner

I'd love to respond in the affirmative, but apparently my hardware vendor (Lenovo) needs to diddle with it before I can install it on my T460p.

Unless there's an alternative ... ?

0 Kudos
FiZi
Beginner

Download the lastest driver in the ZIP format and extract it locally on your system.

Then force a driver upgrade with the extracted files: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-update-drivers-after-upgrading-to-windows-10/ How to Manually Update Drivers in Windows 10 - Driver Easy

0 Kudos