Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20950 Discussions

Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am experiencing random graphics corruption in Mozilla Firefox.

The issue:

Whenever I minimize Firefox and restore it, the Firefox window appears garbled and text appears to be illegible. Moving the mouse cursor over the affected areas, seems to bring the missing parts of the window into view.

Minimizing, maximizing, or resizing Firefox appears to correct the issue (until I minimize Firefox again and the issue reappears).

While this is annoying and impedes productivity, the graphics corruption is limited only to Firefox. However, since that is my main web browser, I would like to get the issue fixed asap.

Points to observe:

• My laptop has an Intel HD 530 graphics subsystem (running on an Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor)
  • The laptop also has a dedicated nVidia GeForce GTX 950M graphics card
  • I am running Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
  • The issue occurs only in Mozilla Firefox
  • Mozilla does not list this as a known bug in their repository (as far as I can tell, I am the only one experiencing this issue)
  • The corruption persists even after restarting the laptop or starting the machine from cold boot
  • The issue occurs at random
  • I have the latest version of Firefox (with all plugins updated)
  • Creating a new Firefox profile (even with no add-ons installed) will not solve the corruption issue
  • I have 2 versions of Microsoft Direct X installed (Direct X 12 and 9.0c for playing older games) but the issue persisted even before I installed version 9.0c
  • I am running version 20.19.15.4360 of the Intel HD Graphics Driver (I have not updated the drivers nor have I tried any other version yet)
  • I experienced a graphics corruption while typing this post and have attached a screenshot below to demonstrate my issue

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

(in the above screenshot, the complete top part is missing. If I were to move the mouse cursor over the affected areas, then some missing parts will reappear. Minimizing, maximizing, and resizing Firefox will also correct the issue temporarily)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

Looks like Gapudo reports this resolved with 4463. I've been monitoring the thread and no one else is reporting anything. Using the latest driver, is everyone seeing this issue resolved? If not, what driver version and CPU are you using and what's the failure rate? Seeing if I can close this out as fixed or not. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
128 Replies
DDeBo
Beginner

Thanks, @FiZi!

The "Driver Easy" instructions didn't quite work as published; I didn't want to install the DE software, and the steps for installation without the use of DE resulted in Windows telling me that I already had the "best" driver installed. Only when I selected "Let me pick from a list of device drivers" and "Have Disk" options was I able to force the installation.

So far, so good. No video corruption in FF, and it appears to have also fixed an issue I was having with NotePad++ where the typeface used for the document tabs was too large.

I've read elsewhere that there's still a potential BSOD issue with returning to a Youtube video that's been paused for an extended period of time (apparently reproducible and not present in earlier driver releases in the 43xx range), but I haven't experienced that one personally.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Before installing the new driver it is recommended to uninstall the old driver, or it won't let you install the new driver. Also if you have windows 10 you should disconnect it from internet before uninstall and install the new driver or it is possible to install the one from microsoft ...

0 Kudos
DDeBo
Beginner

Thanks, @Ronin. FYI, the method I ended up using (posted previously) worked fine and Device Manager shows 4463 as the installed version.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Yes, it works but it will keep some old registry settings ... I encoutered that problem even with driver uninstall and delete all files from windows. After you uninstall the driver you can use this utility: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 16.0.0.2

0 Kudos
PSchl1
Beginner

Bryce, thanks a lot for your effort.

It's clearly much better (especially the corruption in websites, context menus etc). But sometimes I still get blank/white menus/toolbars in Firefox, especially when minimzing it and maximizing it again later.

And High/"Multi" DPI support still sucks, but I think that's due to Windows 10 and not the driver. I'm using an external "normal" DPI Dell screen and the notebook's internal High DPI screen. When I boot the system with the external screen plugged in, everything is fine. But when I unplug the screen (undock notebook) and plug it again or plug it in after boot, text is blurry in many applications and some applications show humongous menus/toolbars, especially Adobe Reader and often Windows' own systray + systray tooltips...

0 Kudos
FiZi
Beginner

So far with the newest driver I've had one occurrence (noted in a previous post).

I'd consider it "close enough" for me.

0 Kudos
LU1
Beginner

I've been running the beta 4444 drivers for about 2 weeks now. I've also reinstalled the same DisplayLink drivers (which I'd temporarily uninstalled). I've not noticed the artefacts in Firefox since upgrading, nor the blue-screens of death in the DisplayLink dll. I haven't been using my laptop terribly heavily mind you, and I've not actually tried attaching external (via USB) monitors (the BSoD occurred without external displays anyway). But so far looking good.

Specs: Dell XPS 15, Windows 10 64-bit, Firefox 64-bit

0 Kudos
JStee9
Beginner

"Hi you guys,

Are you seeing the issue resolved with 4463? Could you all confirm please? I'm wanting to know if it's closed out or if I should continue to push this internally for a fix. Thanks."

i'm not able to install... get a message saying "driver being installed is not validated for this computer".

i'm assuming i've missed something obvious?

not willing to install using Driver Easy.

edit: installed by uninstalling existing drivers first, then installing update.

will update in a few days.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Each time you install a new driver from intel, you should first uninstall the old one.

0 Kudos
MDeCu
Beginner

Still seeing the issue. Uninstalled version 4454 and updated to 4463. My issues are similar to @pschlan. Have tabs open in Firefox (47.0), minimize, then restore after a while. The text corruption and artifacts immediately appear. In particular I experience the issue with video from the NYT, as seen in the accompanying screenshot. My guess is that it's a codec or protocol issue given the fact that I do not have the issue with videos from other sources (YouTube, Amazon), and the videos from the NYT play fine in, say, an Android browser.

I have a Dell XPS 15 9550, Win 10 64-bit.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi canonperpetuus ,

That is a video encoding problem, you roll back the video you will see that it has the same distortion in the same position ... It's not the only video on nytimes with this problem. You better tell the problem to nytimes

You can ask some friend, who has a desktop with a dedicated video card, if he has the same problem.

0 Kudos
DDeBo
Beginner

I have not seen a recurrence of this issue with Firefox since the installation of .4463. I do see some strangeness with the bookmarks side-bar when I move the Firefox application from my WQHD notebook display to my DP-connected 1920x1280 Dell U2415; it doesn't return to its original size relative to the main browser window.

Firefox scales properly when moving from the U2415 to the Lenovo WQHD 14" internal display, but not the reverse.

0 Kudos
SGapu
New Contributor I

I remember this bug very well, I had it too. I think Driver Version 15.40.25.4463 fixed it, because I haven't seen it for many days.

I'm using Firefox 47.0.1 64-bit, with the latest Windows 10 Home 64-bit build

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

Looks like Gapudo reports this resolved with 4463. I've been monitoring the thread and no one else is reporting anything. Using the latest driver, is everyone seeing this issue resolved? If not, what driver version and CPU are you using and what's the failure rate? Seeing if I can close this out as fixed or not. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I have been using the latest version of Intel HD Graphics Drivers 20.19.15.4463 for awhile now and I am glad to say that I have so far not encountered any of the bugs and glitches that I had experienced in the past with Intel's older drivers.

Thank you for listening Intel (and making your customers feel valued).

Sincerely,

Karan

0 Kudos
PY
Beginner

Started to use my Acer V3-372 as main computer yesterday and got artifacts when minimizing/maximizing Firefox 48 with driver .4463.

Updated to driver .4474 and no artifacts as for now.

0 Kudos
SGapu
New Contributor I

This problem came back since Microsoft released the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Version 1607 - OS Build 14393.51. This is the latest build. Firefox is 48.0

I haven't installed Intel Driver Version .4474 because it's a beta and I don't want to install betas.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

If you have skylake windows 10 will autoupdate to 4474 ...

0 Kudos
SGapu
New Contributor I

Ronin you are right, I didn't notice it. I have .4474 too. Well the problem is still there, with Firefox 48.0

0 Kudos
SHamm3
Beginner

Just to let Intel know, I am having the same issue, exactly as described in the previous posts. I don't have laptop with me right now, but I know its Firefox 49, and it is the most recent version of windows 10 (September update). The driver is 4360 and I realise it is old, but others are saying even the new drivers have not fixed the problem? It would be so good to get this fixed...

0 Kudos