Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Intel HD 600 Graphics - How to reset scaling?

jmattioni
Beginner

I have a mini PC with Windows 11 using Intel HD 600 graphics connected to an HDTV. By default there is an issue with slight overscan on the HDTV that I wanted to fix.

I discovered that the Intel Graphics Command Center has a Scaling setting for this purpose that can be set to Custom. However, while I was attempting to set the scaling with the horizontal slider the display suddenly became scrambled and I am now unable to recover from that since it didn't time out or reset.

I did manage to get the Windows display back by rebooting and connecting to the second HDMI port, but the first port is now useless. Is there a way for me to reset the graphics settings to defaults?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello jmattioni,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Regarding your question, the steps to reset a custom mode are the following:

• Open the Intel® Graphics Command Center:
  • From the Windows Start Menu, search for Intel Graphics Command Center. Click the Intel Graphics Command Center icon to open the application.
  • Click the Display Tab.
  • Click the drop-down menu to view the existing resolutions.
  • Click the ‘X’ beside the custom resolution.
  • Acknowledge the deletion by clicking Yes.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
jmattioni
Beginner

My issue is with custom Scaling and not Resolution. I think this is a bug worth reporting to development since it could potentially brick a mini-PC. Here's the steps to duplicate it:

1. Mini-PC attached to HDTV (in this case an LG C1) via HDMI port

2. The default refresh rate chosen for this HDTV was 29Hz. I increased the refresh rate to 60Hz and it worked so I left it there.

3. The video output by default was clipped by the HDTV due to overscan. To fix this, I set Scaling to Custom and began moving the sliders down to fit the screen. The screen almost immediately scrambled leaving a gray background and no visible signs of Windows. Because of this it was impossible for me to recover the display because a time-out is used only for Refresh and Resolution settings and not for Scaling settings.

4. Fortunately, the mini-PC had a second HDMI port. I forced the mini-PC to power off and connected the HDTV to the second HDMI port. This brought back Windows. Without that second port there would have been no simple way to recover.

I attached a monitor to the free HDMI port so I could further explore the video settings for the HDTV without risking losing use of the second HDMI port. What I determined is that custom Scaling works OK if the Refresh rate is left at 29Hz. But it scrambled the display at 59Hz or 60Hz despite it working OK at those rates if Scaling was left at the default of "Maintain...".

So the Video Command Center has a trap that someone can fall into. A possible fix would be to have a time-out for custom Scale settings.

I suggest forwarding this message to development for their consideration.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello jmattioni,

I appreciate your response.

Before forwarding the message to report the error you mention, I still want to confirm some information:

• What is the model of the HDTV?
  • Are you able to try another display device?
  • What is the resolution you are trying to use?
  • How long have you tried using the 59Hz or 60Hz refresh rate?
  • Create a report using the Intel® Graphics Command Center:
    • Open the Intel Graphics Command Center
    • Navigate to the Support tab
    • Select System Diagnostic
    • Click Generate Report
    • Select Save and name the output file.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello jmattioni,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello jmattioni,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos