Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD Graphic 530 Black Screen of Death

FGand2
Beginner

Hello,

Some automatic updates in the background brought my computer to have black screen issues: black screen before windows login (no cursor, I was able by some key combination to hear the narrator...).

After a clean installation of OS : I managed to uninstall the display adapter Intel HD Graphic 530 in safe mode to have a certain stability. I also deactivated the Windows update as it will try to install an update provoking Black Screen of death. I am currently working using the rollback device MS Basic display adapter. The problem arise as soon as INtel HD Graphic 530 is "installed" or detected. I have done a hardware diagnosis with manufacturer program and the hardware had no error.

Does a new driver from Intel causes this major issue?

My PC was working for the last 4 years without any kind of problem and all of a sudden, I had this major graphical issue. Is it part of a planned obsolescence ?

In advance thank you for your support,

System:

Windows 10 Home (64 bit)

Processor: Intel i7-6700 CPU (3.40 GHz)

Graphic card: AMD Radeon R5 M320

Manufacturer: HP

Model : HP 550-267nz

1 screen connected with HDMI cable

0 Kudos
6 Replies
User1585878087287578

Im experiencing similar issues with my HD 4000, I was about to post my own thread when I noticed your question here, I suspect there's some general diver issues with newer win10 builds.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Since you have a different processor, it would be best for you to start a new thread, specific to you and your processor.

Doc

AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello FGand2,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Based on HP's official website if your computer is using AMD Radeon R5 M320 dedicated card, the integrated graphics will not be available. (You can check that on Video Graphics).

• Are you booting up with the dedicated card connected to your system or just the processor and rest of the components?
  • Have you tried to boot up without the dedicated card only using Intel HD graphics?
  • Have you checked this behavior with the system manufacturer?

It's worth mentioning that based on HP's website if you the computer has the dedicated card connected the integrated graphics should not be enabled since the system might not support hybrid/dual graphics which allow you to use both graphics at the same time or it can be switchable that means that the OS or system will use the integrated or dedicated graphics depending on tasks being performed in the background like games.

Also, when using hybrid graphics if supported the recommendation will be to use the customized drivers provided by the system manufacturer instead of Intel generic drivers.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
FGand2
Beginner

Hi AdrianM_Intel,

Thank you for looking at my case.

• Yes the graphic card is always connected to my system.
  • No I didn't try to remove the graphic card because of the lack of place in the PC-tower. I don't want to dismantle all the compounds and risk to damage the hardware.
  • I am posting it in HP forum right away.

Could the problem comes from a new driver ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello User15858780872875784378,

Thank you for your response.

I don't think this is related to driver issues, what caught my attention is that if you are using the AMD card, based on the official website the Intel integrated graphics should not be enabled either the drivers.

For testing purposes, it will be good to disconnect the dedicated card and boot only with the integrated graphics to test the behavior however I understand you do not want to disconnect the components of your system.

Could you please confirm if your system support hybrid graphics? if it does not, there could be something trying to force the Intel drivers when is not being supported to use both graphics at the same time.

What did HP say?

Could you please generate the following reports in order to see if the Intel graphics are enabled on your system?

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

2. DXDIAG 

• Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R. 
  • On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK. 
  • On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information. 
  • Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello FGand2,

Thank you for sharing the information.

I was checking the reports and I found that the SSU report is only showing the AMD Radeon (TM) R5 M320 dedicated card and the Intel graphics as not available, with respect to the DXDIAG report, it shows that Microsoft Graphics Hybrid as Not Supported at this moment so your computer is using only the AMD graphics, not the Intel ones.

Now it's worth mentioning that when it says that Hybrid graphics are not supported it could be because they have not been enabled from the BIOS only if this is supported by the system however this need to be confirmed with the system manufacturer, at this point this behavior seems to not be related to the Intel graphics since they are not enabled in the system at this time.

Also, I found that there are some BIOS updates pending on your system, your current BIOS is A0.16 and the latest available on the official website is A0.20 and the latest Intel graphics driver they have is 20.19.15.5058 (It's recommended to use the customized drivers), upon checking the installation instructions it says that you can download the driver and just run it however it's better to confirm it with the system manufacturer because if your system does not support hybrid graphics and if it's only detecting the AMD card the installation can fail.

In some cases when the computer does not support hybrid graphics in order to install the Intel graphics drivers it's necessary to disable the dedicated card then when the system detects the integrated graphics you can install the update then enable the dedicated card which will be the primary again, we recommend you to verify this with the system manufacturer to follow the appropriate procedure.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos