Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 400 and HDMI Out, switching between TV & embedded display

dzarok76
Beginner

Hi, my laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 110-15ibr/Intel HD 400, HDMI Out is connected to the TV, the problem is under Windows 10(latest Intel drivers). In 'Intel Control Panel' and 'Windows Display settings' when both displays are ON and works as 'extended', embedded is set as 1st, TV as 2nd. When TV is OFF, it's working as 'single display' - it's obvious.

When I turn ON the TV (doesn't matter is on TV/HDMI/USB mode), laptop embedded display goes OFF and screen switch to TV as 'Single screen'. I have to switch back manually to 'Embedded display' what is inconvenient. The problem doesn't exist in Linux, when I turn ON the TV, automatically(by default) works as 'Extended displays' with embedded as main, so, that's not the problem, embedded display don't goes OFF....

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

dzarok76, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

When did the issue start, which is the Graphics driver version currently install? That is also showing in the SSU report.

I was checking for Intel® HD 400 but there are no drivers for it, are you sure that is the correct model? It could be Intel® HD 4000, or you can always provide the SSU report so we can verify that information:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

We recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

I was looking at Lenovo's web site the latest Graphics driver available in there is version Intel VGA_20.19.15.4835, please install that driver and let us know the results:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/110-15ibr/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Display%20and%20Video%20Graphics

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
dzarok76
Beginner

Is this a new computer? 1.5 year old

Was it working fine before? I don't remember, I think it was, it happened at a time when I'v created those profiles described below, (but it has no connection whatsoever with drivers/settings etc.)

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes? maybe like software, I have only created new profiles in IntelCP for easy switching between them HDMI/EMBEDDED/EXTENDED (but this is not possible through hotkeys via IntelCP, I have found a solution here https://superuser.com/questions/1162680/is-there-a-windows-10-hotkey-or-shortcut-for-switching-to-a-specific-display/1162698 - working fine )

When did the issue start, which is the Graphics driver version currently install? That is also showing in the SSU report. - it happened ~3/4 weeks ago, the driver was & still is 20.19.15.4835 like from the link to lenovo website which You provided

I was checking for Intel® HD 400 but there are no drivers for it, are you sure that is the correct model? - Is integrated GPU IntelCeleron N3060 https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-400-Braswell.169243.0.html

I think is something with IntelHD driver defaualt setting regarding screen switching, but where to find this? registry? nothing in Intel Controll Panel about it, default/primary display is embedded like described in my 1 post... In Linux it works fine, I don't know what drivers are there.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

dzarok76, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

In reference to your comment, actually, the Intel® Graphics driver seems to be working fine, based on the fact that both monitors are properly recognized, the problem could be related to Windows*.

Please press the "Windows* key" along with the letter "P" and make sure the option selected for both monitors is "Extended".

Then, go to "Settings", then choose "System" and make sure the option of "Make this my main display" is selected for the embedded display, once you get the chance please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
dzarok76
Beginner

"Please press the "Windows* key" along with the letter "P" and make sure the option selected for both monitors is "Extended".

Then, go to "Settings", then choose "System" and make sure the option of "Make this my main display" is selected for the embedded display, once you get the chance please let us know the results."

As I wrote before - it is and was as you wrote (this setting only applies when displays working as 'extended'), and this doesn't change anything, because when the TV works as a single display (when I turn ON the TV or manually by the WINKEY+P for example...), it is automatically set as MAIN, what I think is normal...

I think I have to accept this inconvenience and I don't think that I can do anything about it.

Thank you for your concern.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

dzarok76, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing that information.

Just to let you know, we tested different laptops and none of them exhibit this behavior, when the embedded display is set as main, it will remain that way even if we turn the TV on or off.

Based on that information it seems to be the problem is related to Windows* itself, as you mentioned, it could be in the registry or even a customization in the BIOS done by the manufacturer of the laptop that is making it work this way.

There is no option in the Intel® Control Panel about the registry since it is very risky to do changes in there because it might affect the stability of the computer.

The fact that the problem does not happen when using Linux indicates us that it is not a hardware issue neither, it is actually a Windows* problem.

So the best thing to do in this case will be to get in contact with Lenovo directly to reset the laptop to factory settings without losing the Windows* license and for them to confirm if this is a result of a customization done by them on the laptop:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos