Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Question

kyle87
Beginner

I'm trying to run 3 monitors on my Dell and It's not working.  The graphics card should support 3 monitors.  Im currently running 2 monitors with VGA into adapter then into displayport on my pc.  my 3rd monitor im running hdmi to adapter then to display port number 2 on my pc.  I got to my settings and when I click on 3rd monitor (it recognizes it)  all the settings for it are greyed out.   but the other two monitors have all the settings.   I go to disconnect one of the monitors and then connect the 3rd monitor and it works but not the second monitor is disconnected.   It seems it will only let me run 2 at a time?   I have no idea what to do.  

0 Kudos
18 Replies
kyle87
Beginner

anyone?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

We've seen this issue before. If you use the VGA port, then you will be limited to two monitors. If you want to connect three monitors, then you must use DisplayPort's Multi-Stream Transport (MST) capability to connect two monitors to one of the DisplayPort outputs.

This can be done with two DisplayPort monitors that support daisy chaining. The first monitor is connected to the system's DisplayPort output. Then, the second monitor is connected to the first monitor's DisplayPort output.

This can also be done using a MST Hub device. This type of device can offer two or three outputs. Versions of these hubs are available with DisplayPort or HDMI outputs. Here is an example with two DisplayPort outputs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079VWHXBV. Here is an example with two HDMI outputs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083PXWRVZ. There are also adapters that can support a VGA monitor and a HDMI monitor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FJPDR5U. When searching for this type of device, it is important to include "MST Hub" in the search string.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
kyle87
Beginner

so I would just need an adapter with two hdmi ports that go into one displayport?    so dual hdmi port to display port?

and then my 3rd monitor i can just do whats already there which is hdmi to display port 2 

0 Kudos
kyle87
Beginner

those examples are mini displayport. I dont have that on my computer.  Just regular display port.    

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Yes, that's a reasonable DP example. Sorry, I mostly have NUCs and they only have mDP and USB-C connectors.
...S
kyle87
Beginner

ok I got the adapter.  I currently have one monitor Hdmi > display port 1  then     2 monitors Hdmi to splitter to display port 2.   The splitter monitors are stuck in mirror mode while the single monitor is in extend mode.   I clicked extend mode for each monitor and it still just has the two as mirror.   But it doesnt even recognize the dual monitors as separate.  they come up as "one"  and the other monitor as "two"    All drivers are updated.  Restarted computer.   I have no idea what to do now.  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What did you purchase? You don't ever want a splitter! All you can EVER do with a splitter is mirror the display. You need the MST Hub-type device that I mentioned.

...S

0 Kudos
kyle87
Beginner

I got what I sent you in that amazon link.   It says its DP to Dual HDMI MST hub.  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Ok, then that should have allowed the monitors to be differentiated from each other. Hhmmm, I am wondering if the BIOS is not initializing the iGFX to support MST. Can you ask Dell about this?
...S
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Well darn, the MST Hub would allow the monitors to be seen as if DP, but I was unaware that 4000 required that the third monitor be eDP. That's a problem because I doubt Dell exposed the eDP (as DP); they would have used the other two DP channels.
I am terribly sorry for misleading you. I hope you can return that adapter.
...S
0 Kudos
kyle87
Beginner

So wait, what exactly do I need to do then?   How do I hook up the third monitor as eDP?   

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You can't. eDP is the embedded interface for internal connection to screens in laptops and all-in-ones. You don't have this capability exposed in your system's design, so you cannot use it. It looks like it will only (otherwise) accept two monitors via the DP interfaces (regardless of whether you have MST capability). Bottom line, teh system design precludes three monitors via iGFX 4000.

In order to add an additional monitor, you could use a USB 3.0 graphics adapter. For example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XB1RRZL. I have order one of these myself to see how it works.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Huynhthinh
Employee

You can refer to the information on this website address: https://www.intel.vn/content/www/vn/en/support/articles/000025673/graphics.html, thank you

0 Kudos
kyle87
Beginner
0 Kudos
Raffa
Beginner

Has anyone figured this out?? it is driving me mad. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I answered this above. You are limited to two monitors in this hardware configuration.

Sorry, reality bites,

...S

0 Kudos