Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4000 scaling does not work

KTull
Novice

How can you remove this scaling nonsense from graphics ?

It does not work in all applications, fx. in "Company of Heroes 2" program it just adds giant black borders instead of the selected resolution in the application´s video options. It is possible to change the desktop resolution first and then run "Company of Heroes 2" with matching resolution, but it´s a nuisance.

You can select to center image of desktop in intel graphics advance settings control panel scaling with a low resolution and then you get a tiny desktop on a large black screen. It obviously effects the default settings for windows that don´t have this useless setting. So how can you get the intel hd graphics driver without this scaling crap, so applications can run normal also in lower resolutions ?

55 Replies
JNguy19
Beginner

This post was started 6 months ago, and this still isn't resolved. Can we have a progress update, please? It's a little ridiculous at the lack of effort put into this.

0 Kudos
KStud
Beginner

I reached out to Intel and they told me to uninstall my existing Intel Graphics Driver in order to install the latest Intel Drivers instead of waiting for Lenovo to provide the updated drivers.

Full response from them which worked for me:

Hello, I understand that you have issues with the scaling and resolution on your computer. Please install the latest generic graphics driver for your graphics controller, download and save the file, then uninstall the current driver, restart the PC and finally install the driver Additionally, by installing the generic graphics driver from the Intel web site, your system may lose special features designed for you computer by the computer manufacturer (OEM). The file can be located at: Intel® Iris™ and HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1 64-bit, Version: 15.36.14.64.4080 (10.18.10.4080) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24596/Intel-Iris-and-HD-Graphi https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24596/Intel-Iris-and-HD-Graphi cs-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit You may use the win64_153614.exe file Remember to uninstall the current driver, restart the PC and finally install the driver. To uninstall the current driver follow the next procedure Go to Windows logo, then Control Panel, then Programs, then Programs and Features, locate an item that says Intel(R) HD Graphics Driver and double click on it, select uninstall then restarts the computer. <table style="color: # 212121; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1...
0 Kudos
TBuck
Beginner

Thanks Bootsthungry, that helped me update my driver to 10.18.14.4080. Was version 10.18.10.3960. Pity the Intel Driver Update Utility wasn't able to detect it or update it....

Unfortunately it didn't fix the scaling problem for me. However I did manage to create a workaround - I created a profile called 1600x900 with scaling. The profile is set to be applied when the EXE file for the game is invoked. This changes the desktop resolution to 1600 x 900, then changes it back again when the game is exited. Not ideal, but good enough for me for the time being until Intel can figure out how to write a decent display driver.

0 Kudos
JJuhn
Beginner

TimLondon 님이 쓴 말:

Thanks Bootsthungry, that helped me update my driver to 10.18.14.4080. Was version 10.18.10.3960. Pity the Intel Driver Update Utility wasn't able to detect it or update it....

Unfortunately it didn't fix the scaling problem for me. However I did manage to create a workaround - I created a profile called 1600x900 with scaling. The profile is set to be applied when the EXE file for the game is invoked. This changes the desktop resolution to 1600 x 900, then changes it back again when the game is exited. Not ideal, but good enough for me for the time being until Intel can figure out how to write a decent display driver.

Hi Tim,

I like your idea of a workaround, and I'd like to try it. But how do you set the profile to be applied when the EXE file for the game is invoked (i.e. changes desktop resolution only when game is started, and changes back when game is exited)? I've created a profile in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, but I don't know how to do your next step.

Could you please provide some instructions??

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

All..

Here is a quick update on the scaling issue.

1) The main issue is touch - OS is choosing centered scaling on touch panels; evidence: disable touch and issue goes away. We are working with Microsoft to understand why OS is doing this and also working on a workaround in parallel.

2) Some games explicitly set centered mode - CODAW is one; we have alerted the game dev and they are working on a patch; also the workaround we develop for touch also may address this.

3) Some monitors are reporting incorrect EDID data and causing issue; since it is very difficult to get monitor vendors to resolve this, we are evaluating whether there is a workaround that can be done via the driver.

Please watch this thread for updates.

Thanks

Robert

KJenk
Beginner

Thanks for the update Robert.

Simply disabling your touch screen may not be enough - you'll have to reboot to see the effects, or at least I did. At any rate, I can confirm this worked for me. When I initially tried it, I did not try restarting after disabling.

Glad to hear you guys have pinpointed the issue. I hope you and Microsoft can figure out a fix.

0 Kudos
JJuhn
Beginner

This is affecting several games which are run with DirectX 11, not just the few which are listed in this thread.

I have Intel HD Graphics 4000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 630M for my laptop, but for all of the following games, scaling does not work and ugly black borders are shown when the game is run lower than my native resolution (1920 x 1080), such as 1366 x 768 or 1280 x 720.

Games I've found not scaling in DirectX 11 (in additions to other games already listed here, such as Company of Heroes and Call of Duty game) when played in lower than native resolutions:

- Batman: Arkham Origins

- Assassin's Creed IV : Black Flag

- Watch Dogs

- Sleeping Dogs

Luckily, Arkham Origins had Force Directx9 Mode, but majority of the games don't have this.

This is a real pain. Directx9 games didn't have a problem like this - is there some compatibility issue with Intel's Driver (by the way, I'm using the latest driver, and the issue is still there) and Directx11?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Woot. Good to hear there's some progress.. but GO FASTER!

In any case, I disabled my touchscreen, which stretches it full screen, but does not scale properly. I can scale properly on the Windows 8.1 desktop, but as soon as it goes to a 3D game it stretches full screen now. I guess it's better than a tiny screen in the middle, but still needs lots of work. I can scale properly on the Windows 8.1 desktop, but as soon as it goes to a 3D game it stretches full screen now.

This has been going on for a couple years now. I figured when I bought a new laptop with the newer Intel IGP this would have been resolved.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

All. This issue has been resolved in the latest Intel HD Graphics driver for Haswell/Broadwell based products, HD4200, HD4400, HD4600, HD5000, HD5100, HD5200, HD5300, HD5500, HD6000, HD6100, and HD6200.

Please see this post for details:

Thanks

Robert

RTayl10
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sounds great but I still have the issue with i7-5500U with HD 5500 Windows 8.1 64-bit with latest driver updates either: 15.36.26.4294 and 15.40.07.4279

Please FIX THIS!

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please use the following form in order to report this issue properly:

Allan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue:

Upon entering 3D game at lower than LCD native resolution the game will run in a window instead of full screen even with game set to fullscreen and Intel Control Panel Display properties set to "override application settings with "scale full screen" or "maintain aspect ratio" or any setting there.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do. 100%

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system. Asus UX303LB, i7-5500U, GT 940m, 12GB DDR3L, 1920x1080 LCD Non-Touch, Windows 8.1 64-bit

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? Hybrid, Optimus with 940m

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel) LFP (1920 x 1080 non-Touch)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below). 12GB (1x4GB, 1x8GB)

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Nothing else required

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

<p style="font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 13px; font-family: intel-clear, arial, helvetica, 'helvetica neue', ver...
0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Let's start by updating the graphics driver to the latest version. Here you can get the version:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-

If you have problems to install the driver, try the steps mentioned here:

/docs/DOC-22542 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22542

It is also important to say that since your computer is a hybrid graphics system it requires a special driver to work as expected so the best step is to get the driver from the manufacturer as first option.

Kevin M

0 Kudos