Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4000 scaling does not work

KTull
Novice

How can you remove this scaling nonsense from graphics ?

It does not work in all applications, fx. in "Company of Heroes 2" program it just adds giant black borders instead of the selected resolution in the application´s video options. It is possible to change the desktop resolution first and then run "Company of Heroes 2" with matching resolution, but it´s a nuisance.

You can select to center image of desktop in intel graphics advance settings control panel scaling with a low resolution and then you get a tiny desktop on a large black screen. It obviously effects the default settings for windows that don´t have this useless setting. So how can you get the intel hd graphics driver without this scaling crap, so applications can run normal also in lower resolutions ?

55 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for sharing your results.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

the out of memory issue sounds like a memory leak - try rebooting and try again.

0 Kudos
TDas
Novice

Hi Allan,

I installed latest Intel driver v15.36.7.64.3960.

Call of Duty Advanced warfare: when i set it @ 1366x768, It's not scaled up to 1920x1080.

Laptop:

Dell Inspiron 7537, Intel Core i7 4500U, Graphix: 1. Intel HD4400, 2. Nvidia GT750M
0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information. This problem still under investigation.

Allan.

0 Kudos
RTayl10
New Contributor I

There is no problem in the video game Call of Duty Advanced Warfare! It is true that black borders appear when lowering resolution, but there is no use of it, since there is another setting to lower rendering of graphics in "Advanced Video" settings. This is the fix!

0 Kudos
BClay1
Novice

Update to black borders problem: The problem is DirectX11. Fx. Company of Heroes has a setting "Shader Quality" that when set to ULTRA it will run directX11 and when set below ULTRA it will run directX9. So the intel graphics driver is not responsible! It is Microsofts DirectX11 that does it - maybe only to computers with both Intel HD and a second graphics card for video games

Different workarounds to the black border problem:

• Change resolution before running fullscreen
  • Use directX9 instead of directX11
  • Fx. in CoH2 there is a setting fx. 50% of resolution, so even in native resolution the graphics is only half and thus faster
  • Try window mode without borders
NSlot
Beginner

So will this issue ever get fixed? I have a dell xps 15 with a 3200*1800 screen since nov 2013 and i am still waiting for a fix.

Only DX11 games have this problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I can confirm that this problem still seems to exist, and that it definitely seems to be related to DirectX 11.

In a variety of games, turning DirectX11 off (either in-game or using ini files in some games that don't present you with the choice) fixes the issue. But this is obviously not ideal.

I have a laptop with a native resolution of 1920x1080, but tend to run games at 1280x720 because it provides much better performance on my HD 4400 graphics chip. This bug and the memory leak issue on Windows 8.1 are extremely annoying.

0 Kudos
NSlot
Beginner

hi. using the latest dell drivers doesnt help. i still have this problem with civ 5 and rome 2.

0 Kudos
BClay1
Novice

Maybe it would help if more reported the same problem to concerned developer of DirectX 11: http://xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forums/t/112668.aspx DirectX Bug Black Borders - Xbox LIVE Indie Games Forums

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi all

We are currently investigating the issue and are working towards a resolution. I will update this thread when we have additional information.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
HCart
Beginner

If it helps, this affects Directx 10 games as well. For example, Far Cry 2 scales fine to lower-than-native resolutions when set to use Directx 9 but doesn't scale (there are black borders around the game display) when Directx 10 rendering is selected.

(edited as I mentioned the wrong game in my original post - Deus Ex Human Revolution has the same problem but that's when selecting Directx 11)

0 Kudos
BGolz
Beginner

This problem isn't only for DirectX applications. I'm having the same problem with emulators switching my resolution as well. I'm on a Celeron N2930 with Intel Graphics 4200.

As noted in other threads, it can be worked around by using the scaling hotkey and selecting the scaling to not center the image. This is less than ideal though because this selection is not saved, and has to be reselected every time you switch to a non-native resolution.

This thread has more information about the same issue:

Also, this youtube video shows the problem quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aMT-NCkILo Intel HD 4600 full screen mode issue - YouTube

KJano
Beginner

As everybody above there pointed out, the problem is still there and it's definitely a driver problem. Can anyone get to it please?

0 Kudos
BP5
New Contributor I

Still a problem.

0 Kudos
RGabr
Novice

I still cannot maintain full-screen scaling at non-native resolutions with the latest 3960 driver. There have been many threads about this issue over the last 6 months.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same here. Scaling just does not work. HD 4400, HD 4000, HD 4600. Doesn't matter, primarily noticed with high res (i.e 3k/4k) screens. Please fix as this issue has been around for at least a year if not longer. The HD 4000 series is capable of playing games, just some, seems DX 10/11 primarily, don't scale properly.

0 Kudos
KJenk
Beginner

It seems they're aware and are working on it. At the bottom of the release notes for the latest drivers:

 Intel is actively investigating issues where games using DirectX 11* play in windowed mode. Some users may find

that disabling touch on the internal display or playing the game on an external display (without a touch controller)

may resolve the issue

Unfortunately when I've recently tried to play a game on an external, touchscreen-less monitor, it still had the issue. Namely, when I set the game resolution to 1600x900 on a 2560x1440 monitor.

I have a feeling they have no idea why it's happening.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah, I have a feeling they don't know why, but honestly I don't think they really care because it's been going on for a long time. With so many new laptops getting High DPI (i.e. 3k/4k) LCD's this issue is going to be much more prominent. I've tried every trick in the book, a handful of different drivers, disabling touch screen, external isn't an option, it's a friggin laptop for crying out loud. I just want to play games at 1280x720 so performance is decent on my 3k screen.

0 Kudos
TBuck
Beginner

Same problem with Intel Graphics 5500 in Dell XPS 13 9343. Native screen resolution is 3200 x 1800 so games are tiny if you run at a resolution the graphics processor can cope with!

Workaround is to set the resolution to low value like 1600 x 900 before starting a game. However this is slow and cumbersome. What's more, since the fonts are really large for 3200 x 1800, they are far too large for 1600 x 900. So you can have problems with windows not being big enough to fit on the screen and you can even struggle to click the Apply button. Thankfully hitting enter tends to work.

If you do change the fonts to a smaller size - you have to log off Windows and back on again for it to change.

Intel please fix this.

By the way, running the Intel Driver Update Detection utility does not even find any installed drivers, much less offer to download updated versions.

0 Kudos
KStud
Beginner

I just bought a new Lenovo Y50 with a 4k display and this bug is driving me absolutely insane.

I'm so frustrated with my inability to disable the Intel Integrated Graphics directly because the scaling is completely off. I just want to play games without having to spend an hour messing with resolutions and other settings.

My current situation:

Intel Graphics Drivers 10.18.10.3496 (Latest drivers provided by Lenonvo) (Latest Intel Drivers from Intel won't install and it says to contact my manufacturer)

Civilization 5:

- System Res: 4k

- Game Res: 4k

- Intel Display Scaling Setting: "Maintain Display Scaling"

- Behavior: Game UI is too tiny

- System Res: 4k

- Game Res: 1080

- Intel Display Scaling Setting: "Maintain Display Scaling"

- Behavior: Game centers with large inaccessible black boarders around a tiny screen

- System Res: 1080

- Game Res: 1080

- Intel Display Scaling Setting: "Scale Full Screen"

- Behavior: Game centers with large inaccessible black boarders around a tiny screen

- System Res: 1080

- Game Res: 4k

- Intel Display Scaling Setting: "Scale Full Screen"

- Behavior: Game UI is too tiny

I'm really not interested in work arounds that require changing settings before launching a game, I just want to configure my system in either 1080 or 4k permanently and be able to choose 1080 resolution in game (or 4k if possible and performance allows). Is that too much to ask for?

0 Kudos