Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4000 - using 3 monitors and finding "old driver"

JGerl3
Beginner

My Dell just installed a new driver for the graphics card and once that was done I can only get 2 of my 3 monitors to be recognized. I tried going to the device manager and rolling back the driver to the previous version that was working without any problems but its not showing that option now. Any suggestions?

Win 10, 64 bit, CPU, 1 monitor on VGA, 2 monitors on display ports.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is the model number of your processor, and what is the model number of your laptop/desktop?

Doc

0 Kudos
JGerl3
Beginner

My desktop is a OptiPlex 7010 and processor is a Core™ i7-3770.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Your processor does support 3 monitors. How Dell has implemented this with their latest driver is a question you should ask dell.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/65719/intel-core-i7-3770-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

Doc

0 Kudos
JGerl3
Beginner

Thanks, I'll try Dell and see if I get anywhere.

0 Kudos
Raffa
Beginner

Were you ever able to figure this out? I am having the same exact issue. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I answered you in the other conversation. Unless you have get MST to work, Dell's design limits you to two monitors.

...S

0 Kudos
Raffa
Beginner

Thanks, saw your replies. In one of them it had a link to certain configuration, would that work? or am i out of luck. 

I dont know what MST is =/

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

MST means Multi-Stream Transport. It is a capability that allows a single DisplayPort stream (port) to support more than one connected monitor. It can be used two ways:

1. You can purchase MST Hub devices that provide you with two or more downstream DisplayPort ports. There are even some that include the converter chips and give you HDMI ports instead!
  2. You can also purchase monitors that have support for MST built in. You connect the first monitor to the system's DisplayPort port and the second monitor to the first monitor's DisplayPort output port. A third monitor can similarly be connected. This is also called DisplayPort Daisy-Chaining. 

For either case, the limit is three monitors total; that is all that Intel HD/UHD Graphics engines can support. As well, understand that the monitors are sharing the bandwidth of the one DisplayPort channel. While this is no issue for 2K monitors, 4K monitors will have resolution and/or refresh limitations.

Now, all that said, the issue is whether the system - including its BIOS - has support for MST included. If it doesn't, this doesn't work. In the original conversation, the OP purchased a device but it didn't work. You could try doing this yourself with your system, but Dell doesn't have a great track record here.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Raffa
Beginner

your the man N_Scott. While I'm still in the same spot I was yesterday, trying every possible thing, at least I have some closure now. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
There is link to MST devices (on Amazon) in those other conversations. As I said, in the one case, the OP actually purchased the unit that I recommended, but it wouldn't work properly in his Dell system.
...S
0 Kudos