Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4600 Mobile GPU Core Clock Frequency

BMinz
Beginner

Due throttling issues with laptop, I would like to change gpu core clock frequency to default (400 MHz). Is there any possibility to do it without programs like intel extreme utility?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello tsi12,

I understand that you are looking to change the core clock frequency of the Integrated Graphics.

Regarding this, I would like to begin by letting you know that, from our side, what are you are trying to do is something that cannot be done with software or settings available, the Intel ® XTU is actually for changing the processor's settings and not the graphics.

There could be some settings that can be changed but they would be located in the BIOS, this is something managed either by the original equipment manufacturer of your system, or the original equipment manufacturer of your motherboard. If there is a way to change it there then they should be able to assist you in doing so.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tsi12,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to contact your manufacturer and see if there was a way to change what you wanted from the integrated graphics?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BMinz
Beginner

Hello David,

I got response from support. They stated, that throttling probably caused by cooling system malfunction. I don't think so, i read review of my laptop with this issue.

Anyway, warranty is over. I still need a solution.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is not the way to properly address this issue. The right way is to address the overheating problem itself. You need to detach the cooling solution from the processor, clean both the bottom surface of this cooling solution and the top surface of the processor, apply new thermal interface material (TIM, a.k.a. thermal compound, heatsink paste, etc. - use a good one, like Arctic Silver 5) and then reattach the cooling solution to the processor.

If you do not feel comfortable taking your laptop apart, there are lots of computer shops that will do this for you for a nominal charge...

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tsi12,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to try what N.Scott.Pearson suggested?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BMinz
Beginner

Hello, David. I was able to try what N.Scott.Pearson suggested. Generally, he's right. As i understood, the problem is in wrong design of laptop's cooling system. I drill holes in the bottom under the cooling fan and the idle temperature decreased by ~10 degrees.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tsi12,

Thank you for your response.

I am glad to know that the temperature has decreased. Remember that we are here to help in case you need any assistance, do not hesitate to reply. Make sure to also try the other steps mentioned by N.Scott.Pearson if possible.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BMinz
Beginner

Hello David. I sent them a request and waiting for a response.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tsi12,

Thank you for your response.

I am glad to hear that. I hope that they can assist you wit this, please let me know if you need any more assistance from our side.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos