Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 515 - can it playback Bluray-3D content?

ADahm
Novice

Hi,

I'm owning a HP Elite x2 1012 G1, equipped with an Intel HD Graphics 515 graphics chip.

The chip's driver dialog claims that the chip supports 3D playpack, but when I have PowerDVD 16/17 try to playback a Bluray-3D's movie content (having a 3D DLP Link enabled beamer connected to my notebook), the following error message appears:

The error message I get is in German. Here is the translation of it:

Playback stopped because your graphics card driver is incompatible. Make sure it meets the minimum requirements. You can find additional information on the CyberLink FAQ web site (code-0012).

Run the BD/HD Advisor tool for more information.

What's wrong? Why can't I playback a 3D movie's content in Full-HD with the Intel HD Graphics 515 although its driver dialog claims to be able to do so?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello BetterToday,

I understand that you are having problems playing 3D Bluray content. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regarding this issue, first, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ADahm
Novice

Hello David,

thank you for replying and trying to help.

Attached please find the requested DxDiag system information file.

I'm very much looking forward to your findings.

Best regards,

Axel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BetterToday,

Thank you for your response,

I was reviewing the information in the DxDiag file provided and first I was able to see that your processor has a newer Graphics Driver. Please refer to the following link to download and install the Driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-65-?product=88199 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-65-?product=88199

Also, please make sure to confirm with HP* and see if the built-in monitor/display supports 3D playback. This is to make sure that you will be able to watch it properly. If not, please attempt to connect an external monitor that supports 3D with either High Speed HDMI cable or Display Port 1.2.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ADahm
Novice

Hello intel_corp,

today I tried to install the driver you suggested.

Unfortunately I cannot install this driver. It aborts with a message telling me that this driver isn't validated by the machine's manufacturer. I am supposed to contact HP.

Translation:

The driver being installed could not be validated on this computer.

Get the corresponding driver from the manufacturer of your computer

Setup is being aborted.

Do you need further information?

Click "Yes" to get redirected to the Intel support website.

Can you please escalate and make HP aware of this issue so they can provide this latest driver on their download site as soon as possible?

Thanks,

Axel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BetterToday,

I was double-checking the information and researching a little more about this problem and I see that we do not know yet if the display you have supports 3D or not.

Also, the driver I have provided you is a generic Intel ® driver. This driver should work just fine with your graphics controller, make sure to first download the ".zip? file. In order to install it properly please refer to the following steps:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ADahm
Novice

I didn't know the information about the display would be relevant for this case. So I compiled the first DxDiag file without having the 3D beamer connected.

Attached please now find an updated DxDiag information file, compiled while the 3D beamer was attached to the notebook.

0 Kudos
ADahm
Novice

Hello intel_corp,

... and here follows the unsuccessul result from me trying to install the ZIP version of the driver:

I'm very much looking forward to your findings.

Best regards,

Axel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BetterToday,

I was checking the information and I can see that you tried to open the ".exe" instead of the manual update. Please follow the next steps in order to do the manual driver update:

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ADahm
Novice

Hi, intel_corp David,

today I tried your suggestion.

While the new driver has successfully been installed and the error message doesn't appear anymore with the new driver, the result is rather quirky now (click the following hyperlink to see the video):

http://www.screencast.com/t/cfSItg1v HD Graphics 515 Driver Error

(My camera had difficulties to focus on the flickering image. I screened a trailer onto my window blinds, so the result is rather bad, yet sufficient to see the effect.)

Attached please also find a new DxDiag file, representing the situation with the new driver.

PS:

I had a similar issue with my Surface Pro 3, having a Intel HD Graphics 5000 chipset installed. Using your suggestion on that machine today with a corresponding driver remedied the problem there successfully. Yet, I had to undergo the same cumbersome driver installation procedure on that machine. May I suppose to have your new drivers signed by the corresponding manufacturers (HP and Microsoft) and get them forwarded to Windows Update?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BetterToday,

Up to this point we have tried the different options to fix the problem you are currently experiencing, what I could recommend you to do and just to check and see if it is a driver problem is to rollback the driver to a previous version.

Please download and install the following:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26941/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?product=88354 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26941/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?product=88354

Following the same steps:

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

If this does not help then please contact HP and see if they have a fix or can check what could be happening with the system as this would tell us that the driver is not the issue.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ADahm
Novice

Thank you for your continued support, intel_corp, David,

I will try the older driver tonight.

I didn't mention yet that a peculiarity of the HP Elite x2 1012 G1 is that it can only be connected to HDMI when it runs on battery. This is due to the fact that it only comes with a single (USB-C type) connector. So, if you plug an HDMI cable into that plug you cannot connect the power adapter into this plug at the same time.

Would you mind forwarding to your testing team to see whether the drivers fully support 3D playback on low power profile (i.e. when running on battery)?

I don't assume this to be a hardware issue as the Intel HD Graphics 5000 chip, built into the Microsoft Surface Pro 3, is even smaller than the Intel HD Graphics 515 chip, built into the HP Elite x2 1012 G1.

Best regards,

Axel

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's not a "peculiarity"; that's the standard model for most modern tablets and laptops. If you want to remain externally powered yet still connect an external monitor via this USB-C connector, you need to use an adapter something like this: https://www.amazon.com/USB-Adapter-Tuwejia-HDMI-Projection/dp/B077X991V7 Amazon.com: USB-C to 4K HDMI + USB 3.0 + USB-C Charging Port (note: not endorsing this particular adapter; just using it as an example). It allows the power cable to be connected while still allowing the connection of a HDMI monitor (and getting an additional USB 3.0 port to boot).

Also, what are these chips you keep referring to? The Intel HD Graphics engine is built into the processor; there is no separate graphics chip.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BetterToday,

I understand that you will be trying the previous driver for testing purposes. Please let us know the outcome so we can check what the problem with your system is.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ADahm
Novice

N.Scott.Pearson

That's not a "peculiarity"; that's the standard model for most modern tablets and laptops.

That's your thesis, but not a proven reality. Let's better stick with "that's a common model for many modern tablets and laptops."

you need to use an adapter something like this:

No, that won't work. HP is using USB device identification to only allow their proprietary power adapter to be able to feed their devices.

The Intel HD Graphics engine is built into the processor; there is no separate graphics chip.

No, it's a GPU. Refer to the documentation.

Let's stick to the original question and concentrate on providing help. Let's not get into nitpicking. I won't reply to distracting off-topic messages. This will be my only reply on this off-topic matter.

0 Kudos
ADahm
Novice

intel_corp Hello David,

today I took the opportunity to install four different driver versions of the Intel HD Graphics 515:

But to no avail. They all show the same issue of a black and white flickering screen with no content.

Would you please advise to escalate this issue to support level 3 to check whether the HD Graphics 515 drivers may need a fix? You've received all the necessary hardware details from me by now. They should be able to reproduce the issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BetterToday,

It does not seem to be a driver problem since you have tried many different versions, also, regarding replicating the problem it is something that HP should be able to do as they should have the same equipment. We do not have that equipment to try to replicate it.

Also, please make sure that all of the hardware supports 3D playback, including the screen because if any of them do not support the 3D playback then issues like this happen.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ADahm
Novice

intel_corp

Hello David,

It does not seem to be a driver problem since you have tried many different versions,

How do you come to this conclusion? I disagree. Having tried many different versions unsuccessfully rather indicates that this indeed is a driver issue. There is something wrong with the drivers that's going wrong for the last couple of version and it needs to be fixed with (supposedly) the next driver release.

The 3D hardware works excellent and properly with other notebooks, as I mentioned above.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BetterToday,

If you believe it is a driver issue then we will be more than glad to try and replicate the problem. However, we recommend to contact the manufacturer for this kind of issue to be replicated because they have the exact equipment in order to do so.

In order for us to try to replicate the problem we need the information requested in the following link to be added to this thread on a post:

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Once that information is filled out and ready we will proceed and attempt to replicate the problem.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ADahm
Novice

Hello David intel_corp,

thank you for your valuable suggestion. I now created a support ticket (3340424) where I added the requested system information file.

Thanks,

Axel

0 Kudos