Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530, Driver 22.20.16.4811 Rev.A - won't verify installed

CGood4
Beginner

Product Name: HP z240

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SPECS:

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz 82 °F

Skylake 14nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)

Motherboard

HP 802F (CPU0)

Graphics

HP E272q (2560x1440@59Hz)

Intel HD Graphics 530 (HP)

Storage

256GB Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 (SSD) 72 °F

Optical Drives

hp HLDS DVDRW GUD1N

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I DE-INSTALLED, AND MANUALLY INSTALLED IT . . . https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-z240-tower-workstation/8354563/swItemId/vc-204663-1 HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Type: Driver

Version: 22.20.16.4811 Rev.A

Operating Systems: Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date: Jan 29, 2018

File name: sp85109.exe (290.2 MB)

1.) The "HP SoftPaq Manager" keeps wanting to install it, but it is installed

2.) The "Intel Driver and Support Assistant 3.1.2" in the Notification Area keeps saying there is a new driver available, lists it, and crashes.

3.) I see that there is a DATE discrepancy in the Device Manager . . . Driver Date: 09/22/17

Any idea what's going on?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello mb1280,

I understand that your Intel ® graphics is not verifying as installed in your system.

First, I would like to start by asking: What do you mean exactly with "It does not verify"? Is the system behaving oddly? Are you getting any error messages?

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
CGood4
Beginner

I have narrowed it down to there being some issue in the HP SoftPaq Download Manager, that makes it keep saying that the correct driver is "Graphics Driver 22.20.16.4811 A1"

DxDiag - A.txt . . . is before I did anything

DxDiag - B.txt . . . is after being updated to .6025

Pertinent links:

My computer, HP z240 . . . https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z240-tower-workstation/8354563

HP SoftPaq Download Manager . . . Version 4.4.0.0 . . . http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_SDM.html

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) . . . https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Intel - What is a generic driver? . . . A generic driver is a basic driver version that isn't customized. Intel offers generic versions of Intel® Graphics Drivers, but recommends using drivers from your computer manufacturer. The computer manufacturer can offer customized versions of the Intel Graphics Drivers for your particular computer model . . . https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023000/software/software-applications.html

From previous experience, I think this is important for a Laptop, but not to a Desktop? . . . How do I know if I should stick with what's on the HP web page for my computer, or not?

16 Screenshots for the following . . . https://imgur.com/a/NdAwYqG

HP SoftPaq Download Manager . . . It shows this as not installed . . . Graphics Driver 22.20.16.4811 A1 . . . But it is . . . And this is the driver listed on the HP page for my computer

Intel Driver Manager finds x.x.x.4901 . . . I installed it

HP SoftPaq Download Manager . . . It shows this as not installed . . . Graphics Driver 22.20.16.4811 A1 . . . because x.x.x.4901 is installed?

. . . The Intel Driver & Support Manager worked for me now . . . but it didn't get the most current driver on the first scan . . .

Intel Driver Manager finds x.x.x.6025 . . . I installed it

HP SoftPaq Download Manager . . . It shows this as not installed . . . Graphics Driver 22.20.16.4811 A1 . . . because x.x.x.6025 is installed?

HP SoftPaq Download Manager / I did: Build Driver Pack tab / Show Latest SoftPaqs / Find Available SoftPaqs / Look at Name: "Intel Graphics" . . . and sp85109 still shows as the latest

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mb1280,

Thank you for your response,

I am currently reviewing the different details showing on the reports you have attached. Now, if you believe it is a HP SoftPaq Download Manager* problem then the best recommendation I can give you is for you to contact HP* so that they can help you either fix the problem of the utility, or maybe disable the update it does.

I will continue reviewing the information on the DxDiag report and will let you know if I find something amiss.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
CGood4
Beginner

Hi, ok thx

I have driver version 24.20.100.6025 (04/25/18) installed, and don't notice any issues . . . If there were, do you have any idea what they would be, and why I'd want the driver listed on the site for the z240?

Besides the above bugs, the only other issue I have is that the HP Display Assistant won't do "Auto Pivot" . . . To put the monitor in Portrait, it only works if I click that myself in the HP Display Assistant . . . Any idea if that's also related to the graphics driver?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mb1280,

If you were having issues with the graphics driver you would have blurry or distortion on the screen, black screen, flickering, etc. There are many problems that could arise due to a bad driver.

It is recommendable to use the ones from the manufacturer because we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

Regarding your last question, that is an HP* utility so it is highly recommended to contact HP* and tell them about the problem so they can let you know, as I explained before with the drivers it could be something related to it due to not having the necessary customization to work properly with that utility. Nevertheless, the best option is to contact them so they can let you know.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
CGood4
Beginner

Here's what I found out, and came up with. I had some questions at the end.

HP Display Assistant - Help File . . . Note: Not all monitors have the built-in sensor to automatically detect the rotation of the display-head . . . For most monitors that support this feature, the OSD-Rotate control is used to change the desktop to Portrait mode . . . Tip for moving the cursor when the screen image is sideways: turn the mouse to match the orientation of the monitor, that is, the top of the mouse points in the same direction as the top of the monitor.

Alternatively, in the HP Display Assistant, you can manually click it to do Portrait or Landscape.

How does the sensor work? . . . HP and Compaq Flat Panel Monitors - DDC Errors . . . Display Data Channel (DDC) is a type of communication between your computer and your monitor. DDC allows the monitor to tell the computer what its supported display modes are and allows you to adjust monitor features such as brightness and contrast from the computer . . . DDC/CI (Command Interface) is the channel the computer and monitor use to send and receive commands to each other. Some DDC/CI monitors support auto pivot, where a rotation sensor in the monitor enables the computer to keep the display upright as the monitor moves between horizontal and vertical positions . . . If you are experiencing communication errors involving DDC, or you are having trouble with the auto pivot function on your monitor, complete the following steps: . . . https://support.hp.com/za-en/product/hp-30-inch-flat-panel-monitor-series/3446879/document/c01872601/

Support / Select your product / HP Display Assistant . . . https://www.portrait.com/dtune/hwp/enu/index.html

Does the HP Display Assistant support the E272q? If I download and look at the "Supported Hardware" PDF, for Intel, I see that what I have is not listed . . . Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

A generic driver could be the issue . . . Updating to Windows 10 may cause this software to lose communication with your display--you may not be able to access all of the features . . . The cause: In some cases, the Windows 10 updating process reverts the video graphics driver to a generic version, not one made specifically for your computer . . . The solution: Update your video graphics driver to the latest version. Visit the website of your computer's video graphic vendor to get the latest driver.

Auto-Pivot did not work with the driver on the HP page, or with the current Intel driver . . . So, go with how it says that what I have is not supported

Does my monitor have the sensor? . . . HP Business Product Support . . . The E272q is Business grade, Consumer Support does not handle . . . 800-334-5144, ask for Monitors / Elite Display, they have to route the call, there is no direct number . . . Does this monitor have a sensor in it that detects orientation for "Auto Pivot"? This spec does not seem to be noted clearly anywhere . . . 04/30/18 They said, apparently, no, it does not have the sensor . . . http://www8.hp.com/us/en/solutions/business-solutions.html

Which monitors can do Auto Pivot?

HP EliteDisplay E271i Review & Rating | PCMag.com . . . Cons: No HDMI port. No auto-pivot. Does not support USB 3.0 . . . https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425739,00.asp

Three widescreen HD monitors that pivot from portrait to landscape | PCWorld . . . https://www.pcworld.com/article/2042888/review-three-widescreen-hd-monitors-that-pivot-from-portrait-to-landscape.html

How about manual control with the keyboard? . . . The Intel software no longer has these hot keys . . . Using Screen Rotation with the Intel® Graphics Control Panel . . . This article applies to all Intel® graphics drivers that show rotation within the Intel® Graphics Control Panel. The rotation capabilities and hotkeys have been removed from the latest Intel Graphics Control Panel starting with 6th Generation products. If rotation is not visible in your Intel Graphics Control Panel and you wish to access rotation controls, they are available via the OS Display Settings and are called "Orientation" . . . The rotation feature of Intel® graphics drivers allow the user to rotate a monitor or display's entire image to one of four orientations when enabled. The image can be rotated 90°, 180°, 270°, and 0° (Normal) . . . https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005491/graphics-drivers.html

This pages suggests using iRotate .. . How To Create Keyboard Shortcut To Rotate Screen In Windows 10 (02/12/17) . . . http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-keyboard-shortcut-to-rotate-screen-in-windows-10/

iRotate (06/01/08) . . . EnTech Taiwan | Utilities . . . Windows 98 to Vista . . . Installed in Compatibility mode with Vista . . . THIS MESSED UP MY NATURAL READER FLOATING BAR - EVERYTHING STILL WORKED, AND IF YOU CLICK AROUND, YOU CAN REFRESH IT, BUT THERE'S SOME BUG, NOT GOOD . . . https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/irotate.shtm

Please see attached . . . NaturalReader.pdf

Better way: Make some BAT files, and use NirCmd on the OS ...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mb1280,

Let me answer questions to the best of my knowledge:
  • Could the driver on this page just not have been updated yet? . . . there, and in the HP SoftPaq Download Manager?
- It is possible that HP* hasn't implemented the latest updates released by us, we keep releasing drivers for the different graphics controllers, but it is up to the different manufacturers whether to update it and change something on it or not.
  • I heard that it's only important to use the driver on the manufacturer's web page for laptops, due to customization . . . could that no longer be true?
- It is still true, we always recommend to use the latest driver provided by the manufacturers because of the customization, it is always recommendable of course to contact the different OEM (In this case HP*) to inquire about the drivers as well to see if there is any plan for updates in the future.

• If I install Intel Graphics .4811 (currently listed for my computer), the "Intel Driver and Support Assistant" will prompt me to install the new driver (.6025) . . . I'm currently using .6025, and don't notice any issues.
- We only recommend to use the latest ones from the manufacturer; however, if our generic driver has been installed and it is working fine, there should not be any problem whatsoever, keep in mind that even if our drivers are generic they are made specifically for the different controllers, we recommend using the OEM drivers because they can make different changes to implement it with the laptop, it does not mean the system will stop functioning as expected when using our drivers.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
CGood4
Beginner
0 Kudos