Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 driver crashing

ICust31
Novice

Hello,

I got a new Asus Windows 10 64-bit laptop that has both Intel HD graphics 530 and nVidia GeForce GTX 960m dedicated graphics. When browsing the web, especially while using Google Images, my computer freezes up for a second, unfreezes, and I get a notifcation saying the Intel HD graphics driver crashed and recovered itself. This happens multiple times per day and there are no driver updates yet from the Asus website as this is a new model of laptop.

I've also had a couple of blue screens due to "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR" that I believe is related, as it freezes up while browsing the web much like the driver crashes, but then it goes to a black screen for a couple of seconds and then the blue screen.

162 Replies
ALee70
Beginner

I am having the same issues with my new XPS 15 9550; getting a black screen freeze randomly every other day or so causing me to have to reboot. I tried disabling my Nvidia 960m GPU. However, all this caused was my laptop to freeze within minutes on startup so it's a problem on Intel graphics chip's side.

0 Kudos
kcros1
Beginner

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 24 5000 in Nov 2015 with HD Graphics 530 Driver. Unit came from Dell pre-loaded with Windows 10.

Intermittently I would receive window shown below.

Though annoying, I was (of course) always in the middle of something else and didn't bother with doing anything about it.

Last night my screen froze black except for one single window which I could not close. I called Dell this morning and for a mere $129 (because, according to Dell, Drivers are "software" and software is not covered under their standard warranty), they added a registry field of TdrDelay (see pic below)

Not sure if this will help anyone else out there - But I hope it does!

On to fighting with Dell to get my $129 back. [yeeha!]

SSyno
Novice

Data_Gram wrote:

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 24 5000 in Nov 2015 with HD Graphics 530 Driver. Unit came from Dell pre-loaded with Windows 10.

Intermittently I would receive window shown below.

Though annoying, I was (of course) always in the middle of something else and didn't bother with doing anything about it.

Last night my screen froze black except for one single window which I could not close. I called Dell this morning and for a mere $129 (because, according to Dell, Drivers are "software" and software is not covered under their standard warranty), they added a registry field of TdrDelay (see pic below)

Not sure if this will help anyone else out there - But I hope it does!

On to fighting with Dell to get my $129 back. [yeeha!]

Check if Dell has released a UEFI / BIOS update for your Inspiron. I was having the same problem until Dell released an updated UEFI / BIOS for my Inspiron 11 (w/ 6th gen. Intel i3) that also contained an updated GPU BIOS.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Synomenon and @Data_Gram, thank you for the feedback.

Regards,

0 Kudos
DHoll5
Beginner

Similar problems with Asrock Z170 Pro4 motherboard and Intel I5-6500 3.2 Ghz CPU, the current Graphics are 20.19.15.4300, all installed this week with Windows 10, I have 2 problems.

1) The graphics crash a couple of times a day, especially when browsing.

2) When running Wintv connected to a Hauppauge Collosus(watching TV connected to Virgin Cable box), the video stuttters for anything up to 2 minutes, it then settles down for normal TV watching.

I'll try the 15.40 driver and report back.

0 Kudos
DHoll5
Beginner

Using new drivers showing as 20.19.15.4326, stutter still there and the graphics have just crashed again - Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

The latest driver versions for the Intel® HD Graphics 530 are the following; Beta driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8.1/10 [15.40] and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25818/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8.1/10 [15.40], please give them a try and let me know if the issue persists.

Regards,

0 Kudos
JSten5
Beginner

Hello Amy! I have tried to install the drivers but I keep getting a Error message saying either that my computer already has the latest drivers, or that my system isnt compatibel with the new drivers.

Regards

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Johannes.stnbrg and Olly50, I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

0 Kudos
SBiot
Beginner

A temporary or permanent (if Intel can not solve the issue) solution is the following:

Have driver 10.18.15.4256 installed from Intel and make sure that this driver does not automaticly gets an update. Whenever you go online Win10 intends to update this native onboard driver to 20.19.15.4326. When this happens disconnect from the internet and uninstall Intel HD Graphics Driver from the Programs and Features list. Restart.

When you maintain driver 10.18.15.4256 you can install or update to the latest AMD or Nvidia driver depending what card is in your system and graphics crashes or recovery messages stay out. If your system starts crashing or showing these messages again then Win10 has automaticly updated the Intel HD driver to anything else then the 10.18.15.4256

The art is to stop Windows automaticly updating the Intel driver which can be done according to this site

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/how-to-disable-windows-update-from-auto-updating/8f5a50fd-403b-4207-bcf2-20cd32f4b1e9?page=1 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/how-to-disable-windows-update-from-auto-updating/8f5

by finding the igdlh64.inf file in your Windows directory and delete it. The old version of the driver is in igdlh12.inf. Or at least removing it to another directory to move it back in case it does not work.

0 Kudos
KH3
Novice

SERIOUSLY? Intel will be buying me a new $2000 laptop before I spend all day of my workday dealing with that. I have enough problems trying to start a business and find fulltime work again. I am not going to sit and play driver roulette all day long. There needs to be a meeting between Intel, Microsoft, and major computer manufacturers to resolve this. We do it in aerospace, why can't IT do it?

0 Kudos
TP1
Beginner

Hi Symbio. Thank you very much for trying help I have installed 10.18.15.4256 according to your advice, but the result is same. For sure, I have checked, Windows 10 is keeping this driver.Any other idea ? Only driver working to me is default Microsoft VGA driver, but in case I can not use my HDMI port and connect the with external monitor.

Thank you again

Tomas

0 Kudos
DMcGo2
Beginner

Just built a brand new pc with a Asus H110I Plus D3 Intel H110 (Socket 1151) DDR3 ITX Motherboard - having the same issues as other posters here with 32-bit windows 10 it flickers and crashes windows with the latest driver. I've tried suggestions here from other posts but cannot fix it. I even installed windows 8 - 32-bit and it now flickers and crashes on boot. Is intel fixing this - I think I'm within my rights to RMA this board.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi,

The graphic adapter is inside CPU not mainboard ... Try a bios update of the mainboard.

0 Kudos
DMcGo2
Beginner

Hi @Ronin

Yeah I updated to the latest bios from the Asus site. no change still an issue. What is Intel doing to fix it?

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I reported this 2-3 month ago and they said is an IEXPLORER.EXE fault simply because is written as Application Name there...

Now I even found proofs that is the driver that cause it, so I don't know what is doing. I'm waiting also to see this fixed because I got this error one time in browsing files on my computer.

I don't think is an igpu hardware problem. If is so then I will change it as soon as they release Kabylake or whatever it's name is. I don't like to buy something that does't work as it should, especially in a basic thing like browsing on internet or files on computer.

0 Kudos
SBiot
Beginner

Hi Tomas,

Combination below works (hopefully not temporary) for me on my Alienware 17R3 (professional purpose system)

My Intel driver for the HD Graphics 530 is 10.18.15.4256 (device manager driver data)

My NVidia driver for the GeForce GTX 980M is 10.18.13.6191 (device manager driver data)

Recently it seems that the Intel driver doesn't update to 20.19.15.4326 anymore (fingers crossed)... why? Instead of me uninstalling the Intel driver whenever the automatic update to 20.19.15.4326 happend I recently chose to roll back the driver to 10.18.15.4256 in the device manager / display adapter / Intel HD Graphics (right mouse button) / Properties / Driver Tab / Roll Back Driver button. Seems that the automatic update wherever that sits in Win10 got the message to not update the Intel driver. We'll see but if anything changes I post it here.

- - QUESTION FOR INTEL - -

Dear Sir, Madam,

I just would like to address the issues many people are facing regarding the compatibility with the native/updated Intel Drivers that are installed on many different systems.

Look it might also be the NVidia, AMD drivers or Win10 OS but just take a moment to read my question and maybe reflect on the issue for a longer moment then a split second.

It is clear that the Intel driver has to work in unison with the Win10 operating system and the AMD or NVidia additional onboard graphics card(s) but it doesn't.

Many of us have in invested in systems either for professional, personal or entertainment use and are therefore expecting a good working system they have bought for whatever task they intend to use it for. An average system costs around $2000,- but some systems have specs that are approaching the $5000,-

If we compare these figures with other products in this price range and they show a faulty construction issue or lack of support then to my knowledge I have not seen that the client is left in the dark.

In a worst case scenario they get a new system (what unfortunately major computer sellers have done just to learn that the new system has exactly the same issue). So something is seriously wrong here.

Many people in and outside this forum including myself are starting to feel we have to go through a nerve-racking puzzle game to get the system we invested in working as it should be. As there are many professionals using their system to make a living, they struggle with time to sort an issue like this out.

I'm quite surprised there is now, for months, still no descent solution available.

How does that work? Do you sit together with Microsoft, Nvidia, AMD to work on the issue or is everybody trying to solve the issue in their own lab?

Can you imagine that the car industry would sell a product like that? You bought just one of their brand new models and when you use the indicator the car horn goes, the radio changes channel, your speed slows down to 20 mph and your boot opens... in the middle of the motorway. You bring the car back as it's in warranty and they install an updated driver with many apologies. The indicator works now but then you use your windscreen wiper, side windows lower, boot still opens and the car speeds up this time... and it goes on and on update after update! You get given a new car same model and brand or get refunded and choose to buy instead another brand but the same issues remain!

I'm just curious how the issue will be resolved? Is there going to be a solution? Is there any 'joint' problem solving going on between Intel, Microsoft, AMD, Nvidia? How does that work?

To be honest we do not know anymore where the issue sits and I got the impression many (paid for) customer service or help desk spokes(wo)men of whatever major computer brand doesn't know it either as one needs to keep trying this and keep trying that.

So please can you explain us:

1 - Are you working in unison with the other concerned manufacturers on a solution to solve this widespread problem that released drivers are conflicting with each other and/or the hardware?

2 - If yes, how long it takes to deliver a solution?

3 - If no, can you maybe establish a kind of joint alliance for the mutual benefit of the world wide client against incompatibility issues between drivers and hardware issues? C.R.A.P. or the Compatibility Rewarding Alliance Program.

I'm looking forward to your answer.

Kind regards,

0 Kudos
TP1
Beginner

Hi Symbio,

thank you so much for everything. The letter you sent to Intel looks very proffesional and clear. I hope, they will understand.

Just for explanation: I am using very special grafic system - it is embroidery digitizing system which is most important software for me. I am using it more than few hours a day. In case I am using this system, the driver is crashing 1x or 2x per MINUTE. For sure, it could be the software problem, but it is not. With another hardware working without any trouble, also with Microsoft VGA driver working without any problem. I talked to the software support and they told me the same - they are optimizing the softwae for newest OS, but they are not capable to develop drivers for Intel.

I am in very bad position at th moment. My old notebook is dead and in such conditions I can not work. Hope, Intel will do something soon.

Tomas

0 Kudos
SBiot
Beginner

Tomas what are your computer's specifications?

OS and graphics cards with installed drivers?

Some older software has indeed issues with the latest drivers and with older software I don't mean soft from 5 years ago but 3 years ago which is another issue many people face.

Say for instance the graphics issues of scaling user interfaces with the stabile good Photoshop CS6 OR CC (2014) and the newer nearly 4K screen resolutions. But that's another forum, lol.

At least from your explanation it seems that the software manufacturor from your embroidery software is updating the soft for the new OS and you will have to wait until they roll out the update.

0 Kudos
TP1
Beginner

I am using Intel Core i7 6700HQ Skylake, Win 10 Prof OS 64bit, Intel HD Graphic 530, External NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M, 8GB RAM

No, the software is already optimized for Windows 10 OS and for INTEL processors. The software is 64bit, optimalized for Intel Processors with multicore supoport. I talked to manufacturer of the software. They know the problem, but they are not capable to solve it, because it is Intel Driver problem. For sure, they are in touch with Intel.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi,

The other hardware is with Intel igpu also and is using it or it uses other dedicated graphic adapter ?

0 Kudos