Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20820 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 driver crashing

ICust31
Novice

Hello,

I got a new Asus Windows 10 64-bit laptop that has both Intel HD graphics 530 and nVidia GeForce GTX 960m dedicated graphics. When browsing the web, especially while using Google Images, my computer freezes up for a second, unfreezes, and I get a notifcation saying the Intel HD graphics driver crashed and recovered itself. This happens multiple times per day and there are no driver updates yet from the Asus website as this is a new model of laptop.

I've also had a couple of blue screens due to "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR" that I believe is related, as it freezes up while browsing the web much like the driver crashes, but then it goes to a black screen for a couple of seconds and then the blue screen.

162 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi nomizzz ,

If you have the patience to read all that tread, you will see that some people had things fixed.

Here is the latest Intel driver for HD 530 :https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26079/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=80939 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

And here is the latest driver for gtx 960M : http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/103915 Drivers | GeForce

People had problems also when they were using gtx 960M as main graphic adapter in firefox ...

0 Kudos
PSike
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem as nomizzz, same laptop with i5, (ROG GL552VW). HD Graphics 530 and a GTX 960M.

Random screen crashes (often) and flickering (sometimes). Rolling back to the Windows drivers solves nothing.

I read all of this thread and the solutions offered have not solved my issue so far. Hoping for Intel to do something with the drivers as that is where it's going wrong.

I wrote to ASUS about this, they wanted me to send my laptop in for service, however i highly doubt that would solve anything, since it very unlikely is a hardware related issue.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi Gugguru ,

For you is clear that it is a hardware problem, because with windows drivers you should not have any issue. The longer you wait, it will be more pain for you.

I don't know why people don't accept that there maybe hardware problems, and those problems can not be fixed by software, I really don't understand.

0 Kudos
SKalu1
Beginner

Ronin

Notice that I in my message I said that I have tried "the latest intel drivers posted" and they have done nothing to mitigate the problem.

What in that message lead you to condescend and assume that I haven't read the rest of the thread? My NVidia drivers, bios, and motherboard drivers are all at their latest as well.

I can readily admit that it's a possibility there's a hardware problem, but it's unlikely given the fact that my machine is brand new and countless other users are experiencing the same issue with similar configurations. It would be a real shame for me and other countless other users to go to the hassle and expense of returning this computer for what seems to be an interoperability issue with Intel's software.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Almost all laptops with gtx 960M have the same problem.

I have desktop with Intel 6700k with Intel HD 530 graphics and I tested with an nvidia card and they don't have any problem working together.

I can say other thing that gtx 960M has a problem working with Intel HD 530

One thing is for sure those laptops were not passed thru quality check ...

It is impossible for a laptop to not work correctly with the drivers from the manufacturer.

All that Intel is doing is try to fix with generic drivers what the manufacturers sold without proper testing, and that may have a hardware defect, or even worse an engineering flaw.

If Asus told you to go in service with it, then why are you questioning what they said. I think they know more then you do.

0 Kudos
SKalu1
Beginner

Ronin Asus didn't tell me to service it, I went to Intel first to avoid a costly replacement. You're the one that needs to stop making an ass out of yourself and assuming things.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Then I hope you know that intel released few days ago a new set of drivers, and that you tested them. That were the links i put there with driver 4463 and latest from nvidia also from this month.

What you don't understand is that Intel only manufactured the CPU and Asus all the laptop.

Is like having a Toshiba TV with a processor from Samsung, and there is something wrong with some pixels on the screen and you want Samsung to fix it ...

It is true that Intel makes the drivers, but the manufacturer receives those drivers and it is his duty to make them work on that laptop, because on that laptop they added some more chips that should be addressed by the driver.

What is Intel doing now is trying to make the programming that Asus needed to do in the first place, if it is indeed a software programming and not a hardware problem .

0 Kudos
SKalu1
Beginner

Ronin You need to stop presuming what other people do and do not understand without sufficient information.

What you clearly don't understand is that this is an Intel forum, and I'm here to discuss the issue that their latest drivers do not handle errors gracefully and it is their duty to at least improve their software's interface to emit better debug and logging information about what the problem is; even if it's due to some incompatibility or hardware problem due to poor assembly on the computer manufacturer's end. If this was an Asus forum I would be telling them they need to work on their QA and testing procedures. Your example of a dead pixel on a Toshiba screen powered by a Samsung processor is woefully inadequate. If this issue were anything like a dead pixel, of course I could identify the problem as such and isolate it to Toshiba's poor screen -- but due to Intel's poor API and/or logging systems, we cannot identify it as such.

The reason I'm here is I get an obscure message from Microsoft Windows (not even from Intel) that just says "Intel HD Driver service has crashed and will now be restarted". This is not enough and is unequivocally poor software that needs fixing. Even if I have to dig into some obscure log file I expect to see exactly why and how it crashed. Why do we have all this ridiculous "Intel HD Graphics" bloatware and configuration software if it can't even show us a flat log file with error messages that describe exactly what anomalous result their driver is seeing?

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Well, that graphic driver crashing is something that you have to report, if you can, with details how to reproduce it. I did that when I had that problem, and was able to reproduce it, and it was fixed.

If you just report that you got that error and they can't reproduce it it is useless...

0 Kudos
PSike
Beginner

You are right, I might have a hardware problem. However i would like to mention that the problem I'm having is not exactly the same as others here have reported (getting a message that the driver has crashed and recovered). My screen just goes black and the whole computer becomes unresponsive. The only thing i can do is hold down the power button for a reboot. Also I think it's worth mentioning that this only happens when I'm not doing anything demanding, just browsing, sorting folders etc. When I play games for instance, this never happens. I think that proves that the fault is in the Inted HD graphics, since games use the nVidia card. This problem is also there for other people with this model, which suggests it actually is not a hardware issue, but something software related.

I have to try the new Intel drivers to see if they help with this, I will report back with results.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

When you play games it uses gtx 960M and when you do browsing it uses igpu ...

I don't really understand why they mixed them without properly tests.

0 Kudos
s-
Beginner

I'm using this driver for my gl552vw-dh71. You could try updating to this and see if it resolves your issue.

don't run the exe file

but right click the inf file within the extracted folder and click install.

0 Kudos
PSike
Beginner

I had the same driver but the issue was still there.

I sent my laptop in for service where they changed the motherboard. This seems to have solved my issue. Seems like it indeed was some sort of hardware issue rather than driver related.

0 Kudos
TChun10
Beginner

Have you tried increasing the shared memory for the iGPU in BIOS/EFI?

0 Kudos
PSike
Beginner

Yes I have, I set it to either 256MB or 512MB, can't remember how much the BIOS allowed.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

It doesn't matter how much you set in bios anymore. In windows the driver sets automatically till 4GB.

0 Kudos