Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 driver installation ends up with VGASafe or Standard VGA driver. No proper IRQ assigned to the device.

ATeot
Beginner

Hello,

Shortly, the problem is that installation of Intel HD Graphics 530 does not end up with forming proper device profile. The device ether stays on shared IRQ 11 or disappears from IRQ table at all, has no assigned IRQ at all, while expected is getting Video adapter Intel Graphics 530 on APIC assigned IRQ like "-5" for example.

The full story is following

I transferred a disk with Windows 7 OS from failed hardware to a new laptop. The setup must be preserved due to legacy applications. Everything went fine except Video drivers. New hardware uses Intel and Nvidia graphical chips ( it seems similar to the pair of adapters in failed old laptop). New hardware runs with Intel Graphics 530. After update of video driver to most of versions of Intel HD Graphics it looks like the hardware is recognized as Intel HD Graphics 530, but after reboot the new laptop with old OS losing capability to hibernate due to VGASafe driver is activated. The Intel Graphics 530 is shown on shared IRQ11.

The Intel Graphics driver version that came on the new OS with hew hardware (Version 15.28.24.64.4229 64bit) fails to install with error " This computer does not meet the minimum requirements". Tricks with installing legacy Intel Graphics 530 and then installing V15.28.24.64.4229 allow installation to go through, It does not throw any error, but it does not produce working result as well. IRQ table does not show Intel video adapter at all. Video runs on Standard VGA Graphics adapter that has no IRQ and has only Memory Ranges.

The version of Intel Graphics driver provided by Intel driver and support assistant (V 21.20.16.4574) does no throw any error trough installation, but does not produce any working result as well. Video adapter disappears from shared IRQ11, but does not appear with APIC assigned IRQ. Video runs on Standard VGA Graphics adapter that has no IRQ and has only Memory Ranges.

All other drivers go through install without errors, but do not move Intel Graphics 530 from shared IRQ11, and video runs on VGASafe , that actually is even worse the Standard VGA Graphics because hibernation gets disabled with VGA safe.

I did removal of all system drivers I could reach, and did installation from manufacturer deployment pack. It looks like problem is somewhere in drivers for Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (APIC) but I don't see so far what I can do there.

Sysprep ends with not booting setup.

device ID under Intel HD Graphics 530 is pci\ven_8086&dev_191b&subsys_077b1028

device ID under Standard VGA Graphics Adapter is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_191B&SUBSYS_07D11028&REV_06

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Amteot,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I would like to do further research about this issue to see if there is a feasible suggestion.

First, could you please provide both the old and new laptop models?

Also, do you experience the same issue if you use the hardware that came preinstalled on your new laptop?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
ATeot
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

Thank you for looking at this problem. The old laptop is Dell latitude E6540. It run Windows 7. According to old records it is with intel Graphics 4600 and AMD Rageon HD 8790M

The new laptop is Dell Latitude 5580 . It came with Windows 7, Intel HD graphics Control Panel reports Intel HD Graphics 530 as currently installed with driver version is 21.20.16.4574 date 12/23/2016. Device manager show IRQ -5. Secondary video is reported by device manager as NVidia GeForce 940MX running with driver 23.21.13.8795 date 10/9/2017. IRQ -4.

It seems that both video adapters work fine including control panels.

I tried to install drivers on moved old OS to have the same order of IRQ (NVidia first). NVidia have got IRQ, but Nvidia control panel did not work or was not installed and no errors during installation. Intel graphics has not got APIC IRQ. Depending on version of driver Intel Graphics device was not moving from shared IRQ11, or not getting any IRQ at all.

Thank you.

Amber T.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Amteot,

Thank you for the information provided.

In this case, both systems have huge differences in hardware. For example, the Dell Latitude E6540 has hybrid graphics while the Dell Latitude 5580 does not. Also, both have different generation graphics controllers.

Dell Latitude 5580

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-5580-15-6-core-i5-7440hq-8-gb-ram-500-gb-hdd/specs/

Dell Latitude E6540

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-e6540-15-6-core-i7-4800mq-8-gb-ram-500-gb-hybrid-drive-english/specs/

Based on this information, the only recommendation we can provide is to do clean install of the operating system.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
ATeot
Beginner

Unfortunately clean install does not adhere to requirement to preserve legacy applications. Considering that no other device (including Nvidia graphic adapter) have problem to configure/pickup IRQ through Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (APIC), the problem looks more like upgrading a graphical card on an old system, and the new driver or installation routine somehow does not get APIC to create proper logical place for the new adapter/driver. Following reasons seems to be logical,

1. APIC software is too old, so it does not recognize information from graphic adapter,

2. There is, or is missing some middle-man software to translate between Graphic adapter routines and APIC.

Hence the problem seems to be that Graphical driver does not recognize the difference in software, maybe excluding one driver version that trows "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements". I conclude that the installation routines do not recognize difference because installation of all versions of Intel Graphics package except one does not generate any errors. The version that throws an error does not provide any useful information. The text "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements" is not any informative.

Hence the question is: how or where to get some meaningful description of what exactly went wrong?! What is the missing requirement?

Considering that APIC is from Intel and Graphics Adapter is from Intel as well, can somebody provide any suggestion what diagnostic software can generate meaningful description what APIC has for the installed Intel Graphic driver or why Intel Graphics 530 driver defaults to VGASafe? There is not VGAsafe driver until new Intel Graphics driver is installed. Before a new Intel Graphics driver is installed the system runs with driver "Standard VGA device" and see device as Intel SKL/KBL Mobile/Desktop Graphics Chipset. Hence again, what diagnostic software can generate meaningful description what APIC has for the installed Intel Graphic driver or why Intel Graphics 530 driver defaults to VGASafe?

Thanks,

Amber T.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Amteot,

I understand that you are trying to migrate legacy applications to a modern platform. It may be difficult to get additional information about errors in legacy software, especially because you are migrating to a system that has a 7th Generation processor.

Now, it seems that there is no diagnostic software/tool I can recommend to generate a report with additional information besides the error you are getting. It is known that there are tools to help you migrate legacy software, but none that I can provide you with.

At this point, my suggestion would be to do a clean install of the graphics driver and install the latest graphics driver provided by your computer manufacturer manually.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Amteot,

Were you able do a clean install of the graphics driver provided by the computer manufacturer?

Did you get any positive outcome?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
ATeot
Beginner

I tried to do installation of manufacturer package. It ended up with VGAsafe. All installations (by now 8 different packages) ended up with Intel HD Graphics 530 on shared IRQ 11 with no IRQ at all. I'm going through manual fixing drivers, side by side with identical laptop running manufacturer setup. Already found that system hardware pickups drivers from wrong manufacturers while correct drives are available, or not taking drivers at all like CM238. PCI bus controller was running on AMD driver, and request to updated was throwing reply the driver is up to date. Fixed several discrepancies in driver assignment between sample computer and the migrated one, but no luck with Video so far. After latest installation of Intel video Driver found that driver files versions the system reports assigned to hardware are different from whet supplied by the package. Some tool to force the system droop all the drivers and assign drivers from scratch would probably resolve the problem. Also some tool helping to review resource/driver assignment/chain would be helpful if system wide reset is possible.

I'm digging further.

Regards,

Amber T.

0 Kudos
ATeot
Beginner

I wish this site to allow editing posts. Here is corrected version of previous post:

I tried to do installation of manufacturer packages. It ended up with VGAsafe. All installations (by now 8 different packages with many retries) ended up with Intel HD Graphics 530 on shared IRQ 11, or with no IRQ at all. Interesting is that VGAsafe takes different from original I/O ranges. I'm going through manual fixing assignment of drivers, side by side with identical laptop running manufacturer setup. Already found that system pickups drivers from wrong manufacturers while correct drives are available, or not taking/complaining about missing drivers at all like CM238. PCI bus controller was running on AMD driver, and request to update was throwing reply that the driver is up to date. Fixed several discrepancies in driver assignment between sample computer and the migrated one, but no luck with video so far. After latest installation of Intel video Driver found that driver files' versions those the system reports as assigned to hardware are different from what is supplied by the package. Uninstall of Intel HD Graphics leaving a lot of driver files in folders Intel, Programms Files common and system32. Did manual cleanup. Some tool to force the system to drop all the drivers and assign drivers from scratch would probably resolve the problem. Also some tool helping to review resource/driver assignment/chain would be helpful if the system wide reset not is possible.

I'm digging further.

Regards,

Amber T.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Amteot,

Thank you for keeping me updated.

Please allow me to do further research to know if there is additional information I can provide you with.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Amteot,

I was trying to get additional information to further assist you, but it seems that you may need to look for any 3rd party tool so that you can continue migrating legacy applications.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos