Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20740 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 5500 Blank Screen on Second Monitor after updating to newest driver

JJohn43
Beginner

Hello!

I am using an HP Spectre x360 laptop with Intel HD Graphics 5500. After updating my graphics card driver, I can longer see my desktop (or anything for that matter) on a connected 2nd monitor or projector. I am using windows 10.

The laptop can detect the attached 2nd monitor, and it is even pulling in the monitor display name and resolution, but it will not show anything when I extend or clone to that second display. If I choose to extend monitor, I am able to move my mouse to the other screen, but it wont show on the second display.

I have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling older drivers, but they do not seem to fix the problem either.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

AgileGull:

Have you tested the behavior of your system with the drivers provided by the manufacturer of your device?

There are different models for Spectre x360, please access the following link and look for your device to download its drivers: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-spectre-13-4100-x360-convertible-pc/8499273/drivers http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-spectre-13-4100-x360-convertible-pc/8499273/drivers

While using OEM systems like yours, the recommendation is to download and install the drivers from your computer's manufacturer website.

This is to avoid losing any special features or settings while using the generic drivers from Intel®.

Using generic drivers can also affect how your computer performs, like in this scenario.

Have you tested the system with different: cables, monitors/displays, video ports?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
JJohn43
Beginner

I have downloaded the most recent drivers from the HP Website for my model laptop, linked above. I have done the following tests:

HDMI Cable from Laptop to TV: Works

HDMI to DVI Cable to Monitor 1: Works

HDMI to VGA Adaptor 1, VGA Cable 1 to Monitor 1: Does NOT Work (Monitor and Adaptor Detected by Intel HD Graphics Control Panel)

HDMI to VGA Adaptor 1, VGA Cable 2 to Monitor 1: Does NOT Work (Monitor and Adaptor Detected by Intel HD Graphics Control Panel)

HDMI to VGA Adaptor 1, VGA Cable 1 to Monitor 2: Does NOT Work (Monitor and Adaptor Detected by Intel HD Graphics Control Panel)

HDMI to VGA Adaptor 1, VGA Cable 2 to Monitor 2: Does NOT Work (Monitor and Adaptor Detected by Intel HD Graphics Control Panel)

HDMI to VGA Adaptor 2, VGA Cable 1 to Monitor 1: Does NOT Work (Monitor and Adaptor NOT Detected by Intel HD Graphics Control Panel)

HDMI to VGA Adaptor 2, VGA Cable 2 to Monitor 1: Does NOT Work (Monitor and Adaptor NOT Detected by Intel HD Graphics Control Panel)

HDMI to VGA Adaptor 2, VGA Cable 1 to Monitor 2: Does NOT Work (Monitor and Adaptor NOT Detected by Intel HD Graphics Control Panel)

HDMI to VGA Adaptor 2, VGA Cable 2 to Monitor 2: Does NOT Work (Monitor and Adaptor NOT Detected by Intel HD Graphics Control Panel)

Both HDMI to VGA Adapters were working just fine, until HP pushed some updates and now neither works. Perhaps it is a 3rd party HP program...?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

AgileGull:

If each connection works separated, then I would say this is a driver issue or third party software affecting the system's behavior.

Have you contacted HP to report this situation? Chances are they have more information of what can be happening there, settings changes within the driver or windows, etc.

My recommendation will be to contact them and check on this, due to the fact that their driver is givin the issue and this is the desired driver to be used, to avoid losing any special features or settings they could have added to the driver for this specific device.

http://support.hp.com/us-en http://support.hp.com/us-en

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, AgileGull:

Thought I would just check in and find out if you were able to resolve this problem.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
JJohn43
Beginner

We ended up just buying two more HDMI-> VGA adapters, and they seemed to work. Not sure how the old ones both died at the same time though. I think we are good to go now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am glad to hear this worked for your.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos