Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 620 Freeze (Blank screen)

PLim1
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using the Lenovo X270 and am running Windows 10. After closing the lid and then re-opening some time later, the screen is still blank and couldn't wake up. But I know the OS is still running as I can still ping it, turn off/on the mute.

I'm using the latest version the Lenovo is providing. I'm also trying out all the older versions.... it seemed that the older versions are occuring lesser as compared to the newer ones. But it's still happening.

We purchased 3 other of the same models and all of us are experiencing the same issues.

It's similar to the case here at

Please help.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, paullim29. Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team. I will be more than glad to assist you.

In this case, please download and install the latest version of the Graphics Drivers (6025) by clicking https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27680/a08/win64_24.20.100.6025.zip here and complete the installation of the drivers using https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html this guide.

Please be aware that the driver I am sharing with you is a generic driver from Intel® and some features of it might not be available for your machine, we always recommend verifying if there is any update with the manufacturer of the computer. Nevertheless, we can try to perform this troubleshooting step.

Please share with us the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
PLim1
Beginner

Hi Anthony,

Unfortunately, I'm still facing the same issue. Is there anything else to do?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
PLim1
Beginner

Hi Anthony,

I've done as per instructed. Still the same results. The issue is when the NB lid is closed, the screen will go blank (I suppose it's to save battery). Is there any way I can disable the screen from going blank when I close the lid? Just leave it on and I guess this will definitely solve the problem.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
PLim1
Beginner

Hi Anthony,

Any updates on this? This usually happens when it's on battery and the lid is closed. Also, in the Lenovo forum https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X270-generic-freeze/td-p/3927475/page/3 X270 generic freeze? - Page 3 - Lenovo Community there are many others who faced the similar issues.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, paullim29. Thank you for your reply.

On the Windows* settings > Power & Sleep > Additional power settings > Choose what closing the lid does > When I close the lid > Select Do nothing when the computer is on Battery and Plugged in.

Let us know how it goes.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
PLim1
Beginner

Hi Anthony,

These settings are currently what I have set a long time ago when this issue surfaced. Unfortunately, it doesn't help.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for your response, paullim29.

In this case, the Intel® HD graphics controller is not the one in charge to decide what happens when the lid closes, this will actually set by the system manufacturer. Please double check this issue with https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/ Lenovo* Support so they can continue helping you.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
PLim1
Beginner

Hi Anthony,

I seemed to have sort of resolve the issue (as of now). May need more time to test it out further. This is what I've done after reading some other posts.

I've unchecked the Graphics Hardware Acceleration options in the following applications:

1) Google Chrome

2) Internet Explorer

3) Microsoft Office

It seems that by default, this option is enabled. After disabling them, so far (touch wood), no more hanging.

Does Intel 620 support h/w acceleration?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for replying back, paullim29.

It is really good to hear that the issue does not occur so far. Indeed, the Intel® HD Graphics 620 supports hardware acceleration. This feature needs to be enabled or disabled from the application or software that you are using.

Antony S.
0 Kudos