Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 630 - igfx stops responding

OGrah
Novice

My screen is frequently getting black for a second, sometimes the system even hangs completely (screen stays black) and needs to be hard reset.

Event Viewer says "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

Environment:

• MSI-MPG-Z390, BIOS A50
  • Intel i9-9900K
  • 2x 16GB Crucial CT16G4DFD8266
  • Dell U2715H at 2560x1440 via Displayport
  • Using Intel 630 Graphics (no other Graphics card installed)
  • Driver igfx_win10_100.6912
  • Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • New hardware, problem existed from the beginning.

Things I tried:

• Latest BIOS, reset to defaults
  • Replace Displayport cable
  • Use HDMI cable
  • Changed RAM
  • Reinstall driver manually (uninstall from device manager, disconnect from internet, reboot, manually install from igfx_win10_100.6912.zip)

None of the above helped. The issue was even logged at night, while the monitor was turned off.

Yesterday, I uninstalled the driver (again) to default to the Windows driver. This seemed to work. I don't play games, so I could probably live with using the default driver. Unfortunately, Windows decided to install the Intel driver again, over night.

Any help appreciated! Thx.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello OGrah,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I would like to try with Updating the Microsoft* .NET Framework software on your computer.

You can resolve some issues (such as the stopped responding/successfully recovered error message) with a simple update to the systems .NET Framework* software. This software is available from:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653

For more information of your system, please provide me with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
OGrah
Novice

David,

thank you for looking into my issue.

As I mentioned, I run Windows 10, and .NET is being maintained as part of Windows 10. It is my understanding that .NET cannot be upgraded manually on Windows 10, and the link you provided does not list Windows 10 as supported OS. Running the installer anyway, results in the installer providing the same information (cannot run on Windows 10).

Please find attached the SSU report.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello OGrah,  

Just confirming a few details here:

Does the issue occur frequently or is it a random issue?

When was the last time the system worked without errors? What changes were made since then; driver updates, added hardware, or installed software?

Do you have the latest system BIOS for your computer?

Does the issue happen when your monitor is set to a particular setting?

I will use this information to see which route we can take to troubleshoot this issue.

David V

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
OGrah
Novice

David,

the issue happens frequently, typically about every 10 to 20 minutes.

It never worked. It is new hardware.

BIOS has been updated to the latest from MSI (A50).

It doesn't seem to be related to monitor settings. It even happens at night, when the monitor is turned off (can bee seen in Windows' event log). It happens with Displayport as well as HDMI. The monitor runs on its native resolution (2560x1440).

I'm looking forward to your reply.

-Oliver

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello OGrah,

Thank you for your response.

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 

4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Also, please attach a screenshot showing the display adapters shown under device manager so I can check some details. A screenshot of the event viewer showing the error code would help too.

David V

0 Kudos
OGrah
Novice

David,

okay, in order to use the system at all, I had to prevent Windows from installing the Intel driver using gpedit. It works without problem using the Windows default driver. Now I disabled that rule and manually installed igfx_win10_100.6912. See sceenshot below. The error happened twice within the next five minutes. See event viewer screenshot below. I ran dxdiag, and I re-ran SSU, see attachments.

Thx,

-Oliver

31-07-_2019_09-38-31.png

31-07-_2019_09-39-56.png

0 Kudos
OGrah
Novice

Here's the updated SSU.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello OGrah,

I would like you to try doing a clean boot and see if the error happens then. In order to do a clean boot, please follow the steps in the link below: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. * 

Let me know the outcome please.

David V

0 Kudos
OGrah
Novice

I have followed the steps and deactivated all Non-Microsoft services, as well as all Autostarts. I still got the same crashes. I also removed nod32 antivirus temporarily, but still got the crashes. When I deactivate all Microsoft services as well, I cannot do anything on the system to check if the problem is still there, as I don't have network connection or anything, then. Please advise, thank you.

0 Kudos
OGrah
Novice

I also tried with different monitor, different DisplayPort cable once again. No solution. All this has cost me *days* now. I need a stable system. It's not like the i9-9900K was a cheap CPU. Will either have to buy an external GPU now, or drop the Intel stuff alltogether, I guess. 😞

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello OGrah,

At this point, what I can recommend you to do if possible is to re-install the operating system. If after doing so, the error stops then it means it was an error with the O.S, if the issue continues then it would mean that there is a problem with the processor and we would replace it for you as long as it's within warranty period. You can have more information in the link below: 

https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo

Please let me know the outcome or how you would like to proceed.

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello OGrah,

Were you able to check my previous post? 

Please let me know if you were able to test this or, if you need more assistance I will be more than glad to help.

David V

0 Kudos
OGrah
Novice

I unplugged all drives, plugged in an empty SSD, installed Win10 1903, installed Intel drivers, installed Firefox, ran web.basemark.com test and after a couple of minutes got the same igfx crash as before (picture freezes, turns black, back on, multiple igfx events in event log as above).

Next steps?

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello OGrah,

At this point, I would recommend you to either contact your Intel local support directly via phone, chat or else create a ticket. You can have more information in the link below: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html

I have sent you an e-mail to the e-mail registered in your account with your ticket number for this issue which you can reference when you contact our live support directly. 

David V

0 Kudos
OGrah
Novice

FYI, I replaced the processor, and the problem did not appear any more. Thanks again for your assistance.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Tanks for this update.

Leon

0 Kudos
Josciv
Beginner

Hi there,

I'm in the same boat now. I certainly hope that changing the processor (or graphics card) isn't the only solution because my warranty expired literally 4 days ago... 

Any other solutions are more than welcome!

0 Kudos