Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics (Core i7) Windows 10

KayN
Beginner

I have a Sony Vaio laptop and I have just updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. With Windows 7 I could plug in another screen and duplicate screens. Now I have upgraded, the computer sees the external screen, but the display does not show on it. (I go into advanced display setting and the details are all there, but when I try to detect the screen, it won't find it.) I have just installed the Intel driver support assistant, which tells me that the driver is the latest version, 8.15.10.2900 dated 26/11/2012. I would be really appreciate any assistance. I have seen information about Beta drivers which may help, but I don't know which one would work. 

Many thanks

Kay

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

In the absense of your report, I suspect you have a 2nd gen processor or earlier.  What this means is your processor is not supported.  But, more importantly, your graphics are not supported.  There is no updated driver from Intel, and you are running the Microsoft generic driver for windows 10, which lacks performance and features.

With a laptop, there is nothing you can do, except to upgrade to a new(er) system.

0 Kudos
KayN
Beginner

Please find attached the report. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Just as I thought.  You have a 1st gen processor:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/49666/intel-core-i7-640m-processor-4m-cache-2-80-ghz.html

There is no driver available from Intel for your graphics on windows 10.  You are stuck with the Microsoft generic driver.

Sorry.

0 Kudos
TacitusBadwings
Beginner

i was reading a post yesterday about HDMI Projection failure after last update. and i went round and round with drivers for hours... 

I found my fix in the "optional updates" section.  I downloaded them all and restored my hdmi projection after a restart. 

0 Kudos