Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics Driver crashing and recovering until blue screen

BDoug
Novice

I own a Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBD with an i3-5020u and HD Graphics 5500 running Windows 7(64). With no graphics drivers installed, it works with no unexpected issues.

I decided to install the Graphics Drivers that my OEM recommends, version 10.18.15.4248 of "Intel Graphics Driver" and downloaded it from this product page: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/100-15ibd/80qq/80qq002dus/pf0mc45y/downloads https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/100-15ibd/80qq/80qq002dus/pf0mc45y/downloads

After a restart, artifacts began to appear on screen, windows extended out towards the bottom of the screen, pixels randomly colored, and generally violent images were made out of a plain Windows 7 desktop. After a few seconds, I can no longer move my mouse and the computer appears frozen, the screen turns black, then I see my desktop again (still with artifacts) along with a notification on the bottom right that says "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered" and the screen turns black and the cycle repeats a few times until I get a blue screen that indicates that "igdkmd64.sys" is related to the blue screen.

So, I rebooted into safe mode, and just as before I installed the drivers, there are no artifacts and everything works normally. I uninstalled the Drivers, and downloaded the generic drivers which Intel recommends for my device, version 15.40.38.4963 of "Intel Graphics Driver" from this product page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/84699/Intel-Core-i3-5020U-Processor-3M-Cache-2-20-GHz- Downloads for Intel® Core™ i3-5020U Processor (3M Cache, 2.20 GHz) My experience was identical.

I'm happy to provide any additional information that might help me solve this problem.

If it's of any note, before all of this the computer had Windows 10 installed and had similar artifacts but the driver did not crash and there were no black or blue screens.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BDoug
Novice

Well, I don't want to waste any more of anyone's time and I think I've brought this case to a close. I installed Fedora 28 and I saw IDENTICAL artifacts, this is a hardware issue. I don't entirely understand how Intel Integrated Graphics Work but I imagine that without Graphics Drivers there is a fallback graphics mode that doesn't use the integrated chip or something like that, and my integrated graphics chip is fried. Thanks for the help, you can close this thread.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Did you see the brand new BIOS offered under the link you mentioned?

Summary of changes

==================

General Information:

E0CN63WW:

BIOS Notification :

1. Fixed

1) Fix WHEA BSOD issue after load default.

If you need assistance on BIOS flashing, ask Lenovo support beforehand

BDoug
Novice

Really appreciate your response.

I successfully flashed the bios update and reinstalled the latest generic drivers available. Now the computer no longer BSODs. But, the artifacts still remain, and with less frequency (every minute or so instead of every 10 seconds) the driver crashes and the screen goes black.

Now, I don't know what made this Window appear because it doesn't appear every time the driver crashes, but I got one of those windows error reporting windows informing me that 'igfxEM.exe' had crashed with the following log or crash report (not sure what it's called) and here's the 'report'

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: igfxEM.exe

Application Version: 6.15.10.4963

Application Timestamp: 5a8d8d27

Fault Module Name: igfxEM.exe

Fault Module Version: 6.15.10.4963

Fault Module Timestamp: 5a8d8d27

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00000000000306bf

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 7b12

Additional Information 2: 7b12887f1266c11d75834d9159e570be

Additional Information 3: 43e9

Additional Information 4: 43e9d4336027b0f34b8b32d283c246f4

I then installed and used the Lenovo recommended graphics drivers and my experience was identical, but I could not get that Windows error message to appear.

Please let me know if there is any other information I could provide that might help.

-----------------------

Some notes that are not relevant to troubleshooting this problem, but are helpful for posterity's sake if anyone else has the same issue and is using this thread as instructions (for Windows 7 Users):

The Lenovo BIOS Flashing Utility will not run in Safe Mode, so, you must uninstall the Intel Graphics Drivers while in safe mode and then boot into Windows normally to run the utility.

The Lenovo website indicates that the BIOS update is for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 but not 7, you can most likely safely ignore this. But, you WILL run in to this problem flashing the new BIOS if you are a Windows 7 User: The Flash COMPLETELY resets all BIOS settings. In order to run Windows 7, you had to have changed your Boot Mode in your BIOS settings to Legacy. This means after flashing you will no longer be able to boot into Windows 7 and you might see a message saying "Start PXE over IPV4..." You have to enter the BIOS Menu and change your Boot Mode back to legacy.

If you are having trouble entering the BIOS Menu, remember that the Function Key Setting is also reset, by default you must press Fn+F2 at boot in order to open the BIOS menu.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Try drivers from this list https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86210/Intel-HD-Graphics-5500 Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 5500

Select OS from right pull-down menu. Hit "show more".

To bypass message "best driver is already installed", "customized computer manufacturer driver" or "computer is not validated" install driver via have disk method as described at:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface (ignore prolog about MS surface)

Otherwise https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* and create a report incl. 3rd party logs.

0 Kudos
BDoug
Novice

I tried the Beta Drivers, same troubles. Did you mean for me to submit a support ticket with the SSU report or to post the report here as an attachment?

Well, in case it's the latter I've attached the report with 3rd party incl, I ran the utility with the Beta Drivers Installed, let me know if I should run it with different drivers installed or under different conditions.

0 Kudos
ANahi
Novice
"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with windows for x64-based systems"

Why its show me? when I update my Intel HD630 graphics Driver, and my operating systems is Windows 10 x64bit based..so why its show me? pls solve this issue..

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Stay with the thread you created:

Doc

0 Kudos
BDoug
Novice

Well, I don't want to waste any more of anyone's time and I think I've brought this case to a close. I installed Fedora 28 and I saw IDENTICAL artifacts, this is a hardware issue. I don't entirely understand how Intel Integrated Graphics Work but I imagine that without Graphics Drivers there is a fallback graphics mode that doesn't use the integrated chip or something like that, and my integrated graphics chip is fried. Thanks for the help, you can close this thread.

0 Kudos