Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Intel HD Graphics Lags on High-Resolution Displays (Not Powerful Enough to Handle High-Resolution Displays.)

Jump to solution

Hey there.

I own an ASUS ZenBook UX510UW (which features a 4K display) running Windows 10 version 1903, build 18362.175.

Since the first day I bought this device, which was about 2 years ago, I've been struggling with a problem that I call:

Laggy and sluggish visual interface:

Description & details: Visual animations, such as minimizing/maximizing windows, toggling the task view, scrolling in the browsers and other applications, sometimes typing, etc. have noticeable lags and feel sluggish.

Important: All of my drivers are up-to-date. I checked with multiple applications including "Intel Driver & Support Assistant"; so, please don't just say: Update your drivers!

However, the most important point is: When I change the resolution from 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels) to Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels), the problem completely disappears, everything feels as smooth as it should be.

And I'm not alone. Many many users on different devices and even different operating systems (i.e Windows and MacOS) have reported this issue. Some of them are:

In Windows:

Intel HD Graphics 530 lags in 4K on Zenbook Pro UX501VW

Slow UI animation performance.

Terribly Laggy Animations and User Interface in Windows 10 in High-Resolution Screens

Surface Book 2 Task View Lag (and other high-resolution laptops included)

4k laptop lag in Windows 10 UI animations

Laggy animations and effects at 4K resolution (running Windows 10)

Windows 10 Animation lags

Windows animations become choppy over time in Creators Update

Window Surface Book 2 Choppy Window Animation and Jitter Surface Pen's Experiences

etc.

In Mac OS:

Mission Control laggy

Why is Sierra's UI animations so jittery and laggy?

MacBook Pro 2017 '15 UI Laggy Animations

Extreme UI Lag MacBook Pro 2017 15" 10.13.6

I've gathered a few tips and notes that I think are worth mentioning:

1. The problem is more noticeable in the apps that have been built with the Electron.js framework: (Like VS Code, WhatsApp Desktop, etc.). For instance, here is an issue that was posted in 2016 in the GitHub repository of VS Code about the exact same problem: Poor performance on large resolution)
  2. The problem is often less noticeable in UWP apps (Windows-related): I personally experience a smoother visual interface in UWP (Universal Windows Platform) applications.
  3. The problem is less noticeable when the Windows 10 transparency effect is disabled: I've seen many people saying so, and I'd personally confirm it as well.

I've been doing research and reading people's experiences about this problem for about 2 years, and finally, I came to the conclusion that this problem comes down to the fact that Intel Integrated Graphics (probably) do not have enough power to handle visual interfaces and especially animations smoothly in high-resolution displays. These are some of the reasons why I think so:

1. The problem is not OS-dependent: As I mentioned earlier, people on different devices, including Windows machines and Mac computers have experienced this problem. (I also provided some links that you can check out.)
  2. The problem disappears when the resolution is decreased: As I (and many other people) mentioned, the problem is completely gone when the resolution is decreased.
  3. The problem gets fixed when changing the display graphics processor to the dedicated GPU: My laptop doesn't have the option to change the display GPU, and so I've never experienced this personally, however, I've seen a few cases where people reported that their problem was fixed due to changing their default display GPU from Intel HD Graphics to their dedicated GPU.
  4. The problem doesn't exist in the devices that do not have Intel Integrated GPU: This one is a big one! As far as I know, this problem only exists in laptop computers, and laptop computers, as we all know, often haveon-board Intel graphics processors. I've personally never seen a case where the person reporting this issue owns a desktop computer. (desktop computers often have dedicated GPUs)
  5. The problem has never been fixed by multiple OS updates over time: This problem is reported to Microsoft and Apple multiple times, but their OS updates didn't make any difference, I personally don't feel any difference from 2 years ago when I purchased my device, and first experienced this issue.

Any further update or help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

26 Replies
Highlighted
Novice

I'm sorry, isn't there anybody in charge who could help us?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Wow, you need to learn how to read the forum - "Intel customer support is available Monday-Friday 7AM to 4PM PST"

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello everybody

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

Al.Hill has provided you with accurate information this behavior has to be reported with each Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) since this is related to the design of the laptops

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I'm sorry but don't you think it's related to Intel since many people with different devices (HP, Dell, Microsoft Surface Book, etc.) have this exact problem while they have one thing in common and that is they all happen to have Intel Integrated Graphics in their device?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

No. Even if it is, it still requires you to go to your laptop manufacturer. Stop trying to create a situation that does not exist.

Now, answer one simple question - Have you contacted ASUS and tried to work with them?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I think if I didn't mention my own laptop, I wouldn't have so much trouble convincing different people that this problem is not only about my specific laptop, and is universal.

However, it'd be highly appreciated if you respond.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Answer the question - Have you contacted ASUS and tried to work with them?

Doc

0 Kudos