Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics Shows Invalid Format.

HMaso1
Beginner

Hey, I have a problem with my pc. I played a game named "Metro 2033", I changed the resolution in it. Since then, my tv is showing "invalid format". I run my windows in safe mode and therefore, disabled my Intel HD Graphics from Device Manager. (I'm currently using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter). I even upgraded the drivers of my Intel GPU but it didn't worked. (As far as I think, my Intel GPU has a higher resolution which my TV can't support.) Please Help Me!

(My Specs:

System: Dell OptiPlex 7010 (desktop)

Processor: Core i5 3470S 2.90GHz

RAM: 12GB

DirectX: 12

GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 2500 (I'm having problem with this one)

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What version of windows 10 are you running? 1903?

This is the latest graphics driver for your processor:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28799/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-

Doc

0 Kudos
HMaso1
Beginner

No, I'm using the Windows 10 1803 version. Would that driver work on this version?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The latest driver. You are making the assumption that it is the driver, and have not considered that it may be your game or TV..

It may be the driver, but it is unlikely that HD 2500 graphics will get any new support, being as old as it is.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And, you should update to 1903 for the latest support. And, 1909 or 19H2 or October 2019 release (whatever Microsoft wants to call it) is about to be released. So, you are falling behind. Why worry about just the driver? The OS update is just as important, perhaps more so.

Doc

0 Kudos
HMaso1
Beginner

I upgraded, but its not fixed.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello HMaso1, 

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

Please let us know if you were able to follow the recommendations provided by Al.Hill.

We will be glad to assist you if the issue persists.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
HMaso1
Beginner

I followed all the recommendations by him and i'm thankful for the help but the issue isn't solved. I upgraded my OS to the latest version (Windows 10 1903). The TV still shows invalid format, i've even changed the resolution from safe mode, but whenever i restart, it shows invalid format. Is there any way i can change the resolution for that Intel GPU without enabling or using it?.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

As I wrote earlier "You are making the assumption that it is the driver, and have not considered that it may be your game or TV.."

What resolutions does your TV support? Have you tried the TV settings?

Doc

0 Kudos
HMaso1
Beginner

When i first ran the game and changed the resolution, it was supposed the change the in-game resolution, but i dont know if it changed the system resolution or my hardware became faulty as the time when i changed the in-game resolution, my screen started showing invalid format. My TV can support upto 1920x1080 resolution. And yes i've tried the TV settings. I've all the drivers and softwares up to date.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What resolution does the game want?

Does the TV support that specific resolution?

Have you contacted the game manufacturer?

Have you tried the game on another computer with an external monitor/TV?

Doc

0 Kudos
HMaso1
Beginner

I changed the game resolution to 800x600. I've also played other games on this resolution and they were all fine. The TV can support this resolution. I don't that I need to contact the manufacturers because the fault is with my Graphics Adapter.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello HMaso1,

To use video scaling features (e.g. using different resolutions), you need to have the onboard graphics enabled.

• What are the display resolutions you are using in both the display and the game when using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter?

• Are you running this game through a platform (e.g. Steam)? Is it installed directly on your computer?
  1. We could not find the official system requirements for Metro 2033 (Metro 2033 Redux?), but it seems that this game was designed to run on Windows 7, 8 ( and older OSs) and discrete graphics.
  2. For example: System requirements Metro 2033 Redux - Steam

• Now, most PC games work fine on Intel® HD Graphics and Windows® 10. However, some older titles may have compatibility issues with the operating system, and not with the Intel® HD/UHD Graphics drivers.
  1. The game may require a software library or component (for example, DirectX* 9 or older) that is no longer automatically installed on Windows* 10.

Try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Run the game as Administrator:
  1. Right-click the game executable file.
  2. Click Run as Administrator.
  3. When prompted by the User Account Control (UAC) click Yes.

• Run the game in Compatibility mode:
  1. Right-click the game executable file.
  2. Click Properties.
  3. Click the Compatibility tab.
  4. Enable the option Run this program in compatibility mode for:
  5. Select the compatible Operating System from the drop-down menu.
  6. Click Apply.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello HMaso1,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello HMaso1,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos