Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics causes Out of Range on VGA Monitor using HDMI-to-VGA Adapter

CWilk11
Beginner

I'm using an hp 15-f004wm laptop. The monitor cracked during a recent car crash. Thus, I'm trying to use an external monitor that I had available. The laptop only has an HDMI Port. The monitor only had a VGA Port. When I connect the Monitor to the laptop, I get an 'Out of Range' message. I have played with the Resolution and Refresh Rate (using a different monitor), but cannot resolve this issue. I know that the adapter and cables are working properly because I can plug it into my desktop computer and it works no problem.

At first, I could at least get the cracked monitor to display a garbled image but now it goes black and flashes when the 'Out of Range' monitor is connected.

Any help to resolve this ASAP would be appreciated. The laptop is useless without a functional monitor and I can't use my existing desktop monitor each time I need the laptop.

Thanks,

Charles W.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to contact HP for assistance with your laptop. HP is solely responsible for support and warranty of your laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello CWilk11,

Thank you for posting on this Intel Community.

To connect an external monitor to a computer with HDMI*, DisplayPort*, VGA or any other video input, it is possible to use adapters. However, we cannot guarantee that your setup or adapters will work as expected since they cannot be validated/tested. Also, your setup may or may not work due to bandwidth, compatibility issues, or a hardware limitation.

In this scenario, a straight-through connection with a single cable is recommended.

Does this issue happen if you connect your computer to an external monitor using a direct connection with a single cable? (HDMI* to HDMI*)

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
CWilk11
Beginner

A straight HDMI connection does work on this computer. I've actually had the same laptop and a different monitor work with the same HDMI-to-VGA connection. I've also had the same HDMI-to-VGA connection work with this monitor to a different computer. Just weird how this laptop and this monitor do not want to communicate.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello CWilk11,

Thank you for your response. 

If this behavior does not occur when connecting your computer directly to the external monitor, via HDMI* to HDMI*, it means that the connection you are using, HDMI*-to-VGA Adapter, may not be supported.

Our recommendation is that you can contact your system manufacturer for validated display configurations. They may also have a list of validated adapters for your computer.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
CWilk11
Beginner

I think you misunderstood my response then. There is no VGA connection on the laptop, nor is there an HDMI connection on the specific monitor I'm trying to use. So a direct connection from the laptop to the monitor is NOT an option.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello CWilk11,

Please allow me to clarify what I wrote before. 

Based on your response, "a straight HDMI* connection does work on this computer", we understand that you tested your laptop with other monitors using an HDMI* to HDMI* connection (No adapters). If this configuration, HDMI* to HDMI*, works with other monitors, then the problem is most likely related to the adapter, which may or may not be supported by your computer.

The only recommendation we can provide in this scenario is that you can use other adapters, or a direct connection, HDMI* to HDMI*, with other monitors.

Now, we understand that you are trying to use an adapter between the laptop and a monitor that only has a VGA connector. However, there is little we can do for you since Intel cannot guarantee that using adapters in your setup will work as expected. Having said that, please follow these recommendations to continue troubleshooting this issue. 

1. Make sure your BIOS, OS, and drivers are up to date. If you need to update your BIOS, we suggest that you contact your OEM since this procedure involves some risk that may damage your computer.

2. Are you using the latest graphics driver provided by your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)?

Note: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

If the problem persists after installing the latest OEM driver, you can try installing a generic version for testing purposes:

We supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

Please let us know if you are able to resolve this issue with the suggestions provided.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello CWilk11,

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
CWilk11
Beginner

Sorry to be sarcastic, but obviously you cannot assist with my problem as you do not support use of 'known good' adapters. I've had to go a different route. I will, however, remember this issue when purchasing future computers and motherboards that I will want to avoid Intel displays as there is really no support for them.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello CWilk11,

Thank you for your feedback. It is highly appreciated.

We will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos