Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Intel HD graphics driver give video TDR failure when enabling

ASolo1
Beginner

I have been dealing with this issue for a pretty long time now and honestly do not even remember the cause of the issue. I have a dell inspiron 7000 gaming laptop with an i7 7th gen processor. Currently I have been using the laptop for the past 3 months or so without the intel graphics drivers enabled because everytime i try and enable them, i get a blue scree video TDR failure. I have tried uninstalling, and reinstalling windows, factory resetting, downloading different driver versions and none of it has worked. I even sent it into a dell service center for diagnostics and they hardware came back fine. Any advice or tips would be great.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What Version of Windows 10 are you using? 1809?

Do you have dual graphics?

Tip: Use ONLY the drivers provided by DELL for your laptop.

Note: Dell is solely responsible for support of your laptop, not intel.

Doc

0 Kudos
ASolo1
Beginner

I am running windows 10 home, and yes it is dual graphics, I have a NVIDIA 1050ti

0 Kudos
ASolo1
Beginner

oh sorry, version 1803

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You did not provide your windows 10 version number. Go to start, settings, system, about, and go to the bottom of the page.

Doc

0 Kudos
ASolo1
Beginner

version 1803

OS Build: 17134.706

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

OK, you should upgrade to 1809. However, 1903 will be available very soon, so you may want to wait.

Now, it is imperative that you use ONLY THE DRIVERS FOR BOTH INTEL AND NVIDIA GRAPHICS provided by DELL. You must do this because any switching between the graphics requires the customizations to the drivers that Dell has made.

Doc

0 Kudos
ASolo1
Beginner

ok i am currently installing the 1809 version. Even after using the dell recommended drivers and clean installing them i still get the video TDR failure

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Report back after 1809, and verifying that you have only the DELL drivers for intel and nvidia graphics.

Doc

0 Kudos
ASolo1
Beginner

So i have downloaded 1809 and after trying to install the graphics driver my screen turns black, like it is trying to switch to the intel graphics, and then it crashes after a few seconds.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

After you get all of the updates for 1809, do this:

You would need to remove all of the Intel and Nvidia drivers.

• To do this, I would download the latest Intel and nvidia drivers from Dell.
  • Then, I would disconnect from the net (disable or unplug)
  • Next, in the device manager, I would uninstall each adapter with the delete box checked, which will require a restart.
  • Do this until you get to the "microsoft basic display adapter" for both adapters.
  • Then, install the intel and nvida drivers you downloaded. There is an order, but I cannot remember which is first. Sorry, but you may confirm the order with dell.
  • Once both adapters are installed, reconnect to the net.

Doc

0 Kudos
ASolo1
Beginner

Currently i have the microsoft display adapter drivers for both slots, however, the slot that the intel graphics driver is usually in has an error and says it is not working properly. I am going to try and download the drivers from dell now.

0 Kudos
ASolo1
Beginner

After reinstalling the drivers i never got a blue screen error, but my laptop would not boot into windows. Eventually it ran a hardware test and i booted it into safe mode, disabled the drivers and then restarted my laptop and it booted up fine.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

So, what is the current status? All ok, or not?

Doc

0 Kudos
ASolo1
Beginner

So i have the same problem from the beginning, since my laptop will not boot up when i have the intel graphics drivers enabled i cannot play any games or even change my screen brightness or power settings.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Then, you need to get in touch with DELL and demand support.

Doc

0 Kudos