Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD graphics with nVidia Quadro won't work with Apple monitor

MTurn4
Beginner

I just got a Lenovo P52s and also have an adapter for Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 hoping to get this to work with an Apple Thunderbolt 2 monitor. NVIDIA Quadro P500M and Intel HD Graphics 620 are the specific video hardware being used here. This does work with an X1 which does not have the nVidia graphics card but I cannot get this to work with the Intel and nVidia graphics.

I have updated all firmware and drivers with no difference to the issue.

Thunderbolt.exe will come up with a dialog showing that it sees the monitor but when I select Always allow it will not keep the setting. It auto reverts back to do not allow. The monitor does not even flicker.

If I set in the bios for Thunderbolt to allow all devices then Thunderbolt.exe will trap out with an exception error when I attach the monitor.

Log Name: ApplicationSource: Application ErrorDate: 7/10/2018 1:33:23 PMEvent ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: ErrorKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: QWJTG.cisco.com

Description:

Faulting application name: Thunderbolt.exe, version: 17.4.76.8, time stamp: 0x5ae03f84

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x09154e1e

Faulting process id: 0x1e24

Faulting application start time: 0x01d41878ec55ea93

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Thunderbolt Software\Thunderbolt.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 00ea32a7-cd0d-4fed-af4c-e157e4c3b41d

Lenovo support has not really been very helpful but this does appear to be an Intel driver or nVidia driver issue.

Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Michael_T. I will be more than glad to assist you.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with a DxDiag* report. Please follow these steps to generate it:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the .txt file that was generated. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

In addition, can you please share with me the model of your monitor? Additionally, are you able to connect your system using a different monitor? Furthermore, can you please try using a different cable?

Antony S.
0 Kudos
MTurn4
Beginner

Hi Anthony

The DXDiag is attached. I've tried different cables and configurations. I've also worked with Lenovo support, who despite all the advice of updating firmware, drivers and testing this and that, have been completely unable to change the symptom at all.

Additionally, I will say that I won't be able to do much more on this since it has been too much time to put toward the effort that it's taking time away from my other tasks. So I had to swap monitors. However, I do believe that as others in this organization start to adopt the P52s instead of the MacBook Pro, this will become a common issue. It would be good if it could be figured out.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your response, Michael_T.

Can you please share the model the Apple* monitor? I would like to know as well, are you able to use this monitor with a different computer?

Furthermore, please try a straight cable? Using a TB3 to TB2 cable can create a conflict between the laptop and the monitor.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
MTurn4
Beginner

The monitor was just an Apple Thunderbolt 2 27" monitor. I think it's was really the only model like that for Apple.

I was able to get this monitor to work with a Lenovo X1 6th gen laptop. Using the TBT3 to TBT2 connector did work fine with that laptop. There is really no option for a straight cable of any kind as the Apple Thunderbolt display only has 1 connector and that is the Thunderbolt 2 connector.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Michael_T.

Firstly, allow me to mention that we recommend using straight connections to a display since the use of converters and dongles may not work and the results may vary. It is worth to mention that both, the Lenovo* X1 6th generation and the Lenovo*P52S have the same graphics controller (Intel® UHD Graphics 620) therefore, the controller is able to connect to the display.

Since the monitor works with a different laptop this might be an issue with the handshake between your system and the display.

I recommend you to get in touch with https://support.apple.com/ Apple* Support so they can provide you with drivers for your monitor. I am aware that you have contacted https://support.lenovo.com/us/en Lenovo*, however, you can double check with them if they have the hardware required to replicate this behavior and share the results with you.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
MTurn4
Beginner

Hi Antony

Hmm..

First, as stated previously, there is no way to do a straight cable. The monitor has a thunderbolt 2 cable permanently attached with a male end as the ONLY video input. Blame Apple for this setup...

Second, You are correct that the Lenovo X1 6th gen and the P52s both use the same graphics controller on the front end (Intel® UHD Graphics 620). The difference is that the P52s also has an nVidia Quadro P500 to handle higher end graphics tasks. However, I do believe that in the initial communication to the monitor, the Intel® UHD Graphics 620 should be handling that handshake and monitor setup task.

• If the above is correct, then why does the monitor work on the X1 but does not on the P52s? They would both be using the same graphics card and drivers at this point correct??
  • Since the difference here is that the P52s also has the nVidia Quadro, doesn't it make sense that this issue may have root cause between the Intel and nVidia integration?
  • Lastly, I found it very odd that the thunderbolt.exe software would trap out as stated previously. The monitor is recognized but the software would not allow access and if forced it traps.

Anyway, I appreciate the help but I had to do something else since I was losing too much productivity wasting time trying to get the apple display to work. So I now have a Dell attached and it works great.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos