Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Intel HD-series Contrast Problem... blooming / overly bright areas - How to fix?

ALtek
Beginner

I have now tried three different computers (all laptops)... different makes and models - two have Intel video, and one has AMD.

I hooked all of these up to a 2nd screen - a new DLP projector.

The Intel, in many scenes, unwatchable.

AMD laptop is 100% fine, video looks beautiful in all cases. Color and Contrast is perfect.

Both Intel laptops (HD3000 & HD4400) have a huge and same exact problem... massive light blooming in the bright areas of the screen.

... scenes with windows where light comes through, bright room lights (ceiling, walls, etc) and even light that reflects off people's faces end up white or yellow-white and shiny

... scenes where there are not bright white or yellow areas the contrast and colors look great.

I have done numerous searches over the past two months and found most people saying to turn off Adaptive Contrast and Power Savings. Both are off. I turns off ALL enhancements I could find in all menus. Noe of this helped at all.

Anyone here know how to fix this issue?

thank you for the help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Ltek

Could you post the DX Diag reports for both the systems with this issue?

Does the issue occur when you connect to a LCD type display or only on the projector?

Also, what model of DLP Projector are you using and how do you connect to it?

Have you tried adjusting the Display and Color settings in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ALtek
Beginner

Where do I find the DX Diag reports?

These are all laptops so there is an LCD screen on them... but I don't use them. I only connect to a Benq W1070 DLP projector. The AMD based lappy (3 years old) output a perfect Full RGB signal and I think what is happening is the Intel HD4400 (3 day old laptop) is clipping the Whites / WTW and maybe Blacks / BTB ... the Whites are so hosed it is like staring at the sun, on screen.

I have tried using both RGB & YCbCr ... YCbCr is worse but RGB is still unwatchable in many scenes.

Also, I'm running the latest drivers.. updated today from the default drivers that came with the laptop... no difference.

Please tell me there is a fix and this high-end laptop is not a waste.

thanks!

0 Kudos
Filip_Z_Intel
Employee

win key + r

type dxdiag

press Enter or OK button

Then press Yes when asked

Then press "Save All Information..." button

Attach content here

By the way - could You post screenshots with difference? (they *might* show the difference)

0 Kudos