Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Intel HD4400 4k @ 60hz

ABeck2
Beginner

I have a Dell Optiplex 9020 with an Intel 4400 HD integrated graphics card. From everything I understand, 4K @ 60hz should be entirely possible with this computer. I'm getting "exceeds bandwidth" when trying to move to 4k @ 60hz. 4k @ 30hz and 1080p at 60 work fine.

I have looked in the Intel Graphics Control Panel - see below. According to my processor, this shouldn't be a problem.

This clearly shows the supported resolutions of the monitor I'm attaching (a Denon AVRS receiver capable of 4k @ 60Hz).

I'm using Intel's graphics drivers for the 4400 (but I've tried Microsoft's generic, Intel's generic, etc). The screenshots were taken while using Driver v 20.19.15.5058. I've since tried some other versions but none of them get me past the dreaded "exceeds bandwidth".

I'm going DP out > HDMI via an adapter cable. All my cables are 4k high speed rated for 4k @ 60Hz. I've tried one adapter cable, and one adapter with an HDMI cable (two actually) and the results are the same. Though I haven't "verified" the cables with any other sources or components, I can't seem to figure out what else the problem would be.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello projects067,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can see that you are unable to set the resolution for 3840x2160 @ 60Hz.

Regarding this, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

I would also like to request the model of the monitor that you are currently using. Also, please bear in mind that Intel* does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. It is recommended to try a connection with a straight HDMI to HDMI or Display Port to Display Port.

Finally, I would like to request a graphics report. You can refer to the link below for instructions on how to create the report, make sure to attach it to the thread as well:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ABeck2
Beginner

The requested documents are attached. There are two dxdiag reports - one with the Media AV Receiver and one directly connected to the TV. As you can see, they both show the same capable 4k/60 connection but refuse to lock in at the 60Hz setting.

The AV receiver is a Denon AVRS720W.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

projects067: Thank you very much for providing that information and sharing those files.

The Intel graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your system.

We recommend to install the graphics drivers provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since those drivers were manufactured by them to work with your specific platform.

I found version 20.19.15.4835 ,A06, please try test that driver and let us know the results:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/ed/en/edbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=5MT71&osCode=WT64A&productCode=optiplex-9020-aio

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
ABeck2
Beginner

Same results as before, "exceeds bandwidth."

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello projects067,

Thank you for your response.

I can see that you have also tried the manufacturer's drivers to no avail.

I would like to know where you are trying to change the resolution that you are using in the system, in other words, I want to know if you are going to "Graphics properties" or are you changing it directly from Windows?

You can refer to the screenshot attached to check how the option graphics properties looks like, just right-click on the desktop and it should allow you. Also, take a screenshot of the options shown under "resolution", try lowering the refresh rate to 59 if applicable and see if the option for the 4k shows.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ABeck2
Beginner

I attempt to change the resolution from Intel's "control panel" (as seen in my above snapshots). Graphics properties, as you indicated in your last post.

I didn't have time to generate a screenshot, but I attempted 59hz, same result "exceeds bandwidth."

Thanks,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello projects067,

I will require the screenshot when you click on the drop down menu that shows the different resolutions. This is because in the mode that you are using right now, according to the graphics report the resolution should be listed. Please provide me with the screenshot.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ABeck2
Beginner

Attached per your request.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello projects067,

I was double-checking the posts you have made for this issue and I found that you mentioned you are using an HDMI > DP adapter. This could be the potential problem, I say this because the Display Port side has a bigger bandwidth compared to the HDMI and there could be problems like bottlenecks of the data transmitted for example.

Also, Please bear in mind that Intel* does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. So, up to this point, what we can try to test and see if this is the problem is to use a direct HDMI to HDMI or DP to DP connection.

Let me know the outcome please.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello projects067,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to test with a straight connection?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ABeck2
Beginner

Testing with a straight connection won't be feasible due to the monitor having only HDMI inputs and the 9020 box only having DP outputs.

I've done further testing on the same hardware but this time on a Linux OS. Initially the results were the same, only showing the 30hz refresh option. Through additional research I was able to force 4k@60 working when connected via the same physical link as described above, though I have not had a chance to test this configuration in the intended production environment (ie - with 4K video playback, etc).

It should be noted (for any future readers who may stumble upon this thread) that I only have the 4K60 working when directly connected to my TV, via the Denon AVR S720W is not currently working, though I highly suspect a Linux configuration issue with the "modeline" that is being manually set.

In the near future I'll update this thread with my final results, purely for anyone who may stumble upon this in the future.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello projects067,

I appreciate you taking the time to keep this thread updated for user who may be experiencing the same issue. However, in this case we do not support nor can we validate the use of the different AVR receivers and since it is working with a direct connection to the TV then it is working within specifications.

Let us know your findings.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ABeck2
Beginner

Just for anyone following along at home - to make sure the *most* correct information is here - I *was* connecting the PC in question (running Windows) directly to both the TV and AVR in different tests, NEITHER worked as advertised (not JUST the AVR). (see post # 2 above).

Only the TV works directly connected while in a Linux world, but not on the AVR. Just to clear that up if was confusing for Intel support here or anyone viewing at home.

More updates to come.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello projects067,

I can see that the issue persists, first, I would like to thank you for clarifying. Now, I need to requested the complete model number of the display you have. Using the System Support Utility report I was not able to find it so please look on the device itself and provide me with the complete model so we can have more information.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ABeck2
Beginner

The monitor is an LG 55UH7700 SUHD 4K TV.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello projects067,

I was researching for a while about the problem that we are trying to address, the model of the TV and the drivers. After a while I was able to find a setting that must be turned on to get the option of 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz in the TV.

The option for Ultra HD Deep Color must be turned on in order to get the resolution desired, I have taken a screenshot of the path to get to the option, it has been attached so you can refer to it, also the manual of the TV in the link below:

https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-55UH7700# manuals https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-55UH7700# manuals

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ABeck2
Beginner

Hi,

I appreciate your research in the matter, but I believe we may have a slight misunderstanding of the working vs non-working configurations of the setup here.

In a WINDOWS environment:

Intel4400 via Dell 9020 > directly to the TV... DOES NOT WORK 4k60

Intel4400 via Dell 9020 > via Denon AVRS ... DOES NOT WORK 4k60

In a LINUX environment:

Intel4400 via Dell 9020 > directly to the TV ... WORKS 4k60

Intel4400 via Dell 9020 > via Denon AVRS ... DOES NOT WORK 4k60.

I have tinkered with the LG TV settings you specified, but it is not relevant to the problem. Both options on the setting for HDR (as you can see in the screen shot you provided) support 4k@60, it's just a matter of 4:2:0 vs 4:4:4 vs RGB color spaces. This is not a resolution setting, though I see where the compatibility issues may be an issue, that is not the issue in the Windows environment here.

I truly believe this is an Intel Driver issue, or purely Intel advertising support for something that doesn't work.

Thanks for all your help,

0 Kudos
ABeck2
Beginner

Another update:

No matter which driver is used, Windows 10 reports the monitors as "Generic PnP monitor" - which doesn't seem to allow for HDR. The Intel HD 4400 supports hDR, does it not?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello projects067,

Thank you for your responses.

To answer your question, HDR is supported on 7th generation and newer platforms. That would be the reason why you are unable to use that option.

Now, regarding the main situation, I would like to let you know that I went ahead and tested the driver 15.40.41.5058 on a system with HD Graphics 4400 and it was able to output 3840x2160@60hz on Windows 10 without an issue, like many other users have as well through the past years (this is a +4 year old Graphics controller after all). Our test was on a direct DP 1.2 to DP 1.2 connection. I believe the issue here is coming from the DP-to-HDMI adapter.

While I'm not saying that it is 'defective' but rather the Graphics driver is not working correctly with the TV due to this 3rd party adapter. We do not support usage of adapters/converters.

Regards,

David V

ABeck2
Beginner

Thanks for clarifying the HDR question.

I understand that this is a 4+ year old product. It doesn't change the fact that the setup works fine on a Linux based system and not a Windows based system. At best, it's a Windows/Intel driver compatibility issue.

Thanks for your help on the matter.

0 Kudos