Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD630 Drivers for Windows 10 only output 6-bit colors to Dell monitors. U3415W in this case. Are there any drivers that work?

MSavo
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Display output in Windows is only 6-bit. This causes terrible color gradients and is completely unusable for any kind of work with images. I cannot downgrade the driver to a working one (August 2017 according to internet) because my processor is too new.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Tower, built from components.

i7-8700k

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero

Dell U3415W 3440x1440, displayport

Windows 10 1803

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-top: none; border-right: 1pt solid windowtext; border-bottom: 1pt solid windowtext; border-...
0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello maverikki,

I understand that you are currently getting only 6-bit colors in Dell monitors.

Regarding this, I would like to gather some information first, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, I would like to know if you have tried different Display port cables, or different connections, for example: HDMI. It is also important, if possible, to try different monitors to see if the issue is happening with multiple monitors.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello maverikki,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Please provide me with the information requested above.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MSavo
Beginner

Hi and thank you for your response.

Dxdiag output is attached.

The display works with 8 bit on HDMI, but unfortunately only with 49 hz.

I have tried three different DP cables and different DP ports on the monitor, but the result is always 6 bit colors in Windows. The monitor works properly with 8 bit with different video card or my Thinkpad laptop. (with all of the cables).

Edit: After some discussions with Dell support they noted that there is one driver that I had not tested. The color output is correct with Intel 15.47.02.4815 drivers from October 2017. (I got them from: ) This is the first driver to support 8th generation CPUs.

I have attached dxdiag output with these drivers too, perhaps a diff of those could help pinpoint the problem. Something has been broken in the drivers after this release and it might affect other customers too.

Markus

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello maverikki,

Thank you for your response.

We are currently reviewing this to see if there is a problem with this, thank you for providing me with the feedback of the driver. I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello maverikki,

We have been looking into this and our developers are currently working to address this. I apologize but there is no news about it yet, however, I am still checking to make sure, I appreciate your patience. You could try with the driver below and test to see if the color output shows the 8-bit option:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28180/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=98909 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
NW
Beginner

Resolution needs to come soon, because I'd like to know if it will be fixed before my warranty is up. Computer is now useless for Photo and Video Work. I've had to turn down give because my machine simply doesn't work and my other isn't equipped for this stuff.

Useless.

Harsh banding everywhere now.

Been like this for months, and I've been using an old 2013 iMac while waiting for a fix... for the things I can use it for.

But, I'm going to be looking for a refund or exchange of some type, because this is NOT right at all. I'm not buying Intel in the future. The driver support is beyond reproach.

How do developers take this long to issue a fix, ehen this was a massive regression to begin with?

There are no ASUS drivers that restore 8-Bit on Windows 10 1803. Everything gives 6-Bit. Every Intel driver I can find for this machine up to the very latest (force installed, and that's when I'm not BSODing).

I really regret not getting an AMD Notebook. I paid extra for the absolute worse user experience and support a customer could imagine.

$1,400 paper weight. That's what I own now.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello maverikki,

The case is under investigation, however, in the meantime, I would like you to give the newest driver released a try, please refer to the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28180/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=98909 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28180/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=98909

Let me know please.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello maverikki,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to try the latest driver provided above? You as well iNate, please try the driver update provided above.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
NW
Beginner

None of the drivers available work, and all recent drivers list this as a known issue; in fact. Some Intel Drivers cause instability on my system.

I spent hours trying different driver versions a couple of weeks ago. They're all broken, and knowingly so...

All versions of the Intel driver certified for my laptop model (by Asus) have this issue, including the original driver version it shipped with.

Both Microsoft and Asus support point fongers at Intel.

At this point I just want to sell the matching and get something with AMD in it the driver support isn't there, and apparently there are much more i.portat things to worry about than fixing it.

This issue is over a year old, at this point.

Non-certified drivers can only be run in airplane mode. Windows 10 Pro gives no control over driver updates, and the OS will forcibly replace the Intel drive with the latest certified driver for your device model from Windows update. If you don't install that driver, then you literally cannot apply any other updates to your PC, as it requires the driver installation before checking for any other updates.

Your solution is totally practical.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

I would like to provide an update on the latest status of this issue.

I'm happy to report that we finally have a fix for this issue checked-in our latest (internal) driver build. At this point we're just making sure it goes through sufficient quality testing, but it is closer to public release.

The fix should be included in driver build 100.6389 and higher. As soon as I have a release estimate or further news I'll update this thread: .

Once again, thank you for your patience while we worked on this issue.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos