Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Intel Iris Plus 640 graphics video stutter after Dec 2021 windows update

gtintc
Beginner

I am using an Intel NUC7i5BNHXF (see SSU scan attached for detailed config). After updating windows 10 in November/December the video playback started to stutter with driver ver 30.0.101.1069. I upgraded the graphics driver to 30.0.101.1191 and the stuttering was fixed. With this driver, black & white checkered artefacts appeared on various apps including Plex HTPC ver 1.9.0 (https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-htpc-feedback/703205) . There are screenshots attached also of these artefacts. When I roll back to 1069 the artefacts go away and the stuttering reappears. I am using 1080p, 60Hz. Could you please help in resolving these two issues?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
gtintc
Beginner

Ok. I downloaded & installed the latest available driver from the NUC7i5BNHXF download page. This appears to have fixed both the stuttering & the artefacts issue. Thanks very much. The NUC specific driver is very old – 27 September 2018, ver 24.20.100.6286. I will do some more exhaustive testing over a range of different media to make sure the issues have been fixed. It would be reassuring that the sustaining engineers for the NUC are doing ongoing testing with all the windows 10 upgrades. In addition I am sure there are fixes and performance improvements to the newer versions of the drivers that I am assuming could be adapted to the NUC’s h/w footprint. I am assuming you are a retired Intel employee? I am an Intel retiree. All the best.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The BN NUCs require a customized graphics driver to work properly and you will wipe out these customizations of you install any generic intel graphics driver packages onto it. Install only the driver packages that are offered through the downloads page for the BN NUCs. Yes, I know that they are old, but it is what it is and you are on your own if you use a newer driver generic graphics driver package.

...S

0 Kudos
gtintc
Beginner

Ok. I downloaded & installed the latest available driver from the NUC7i5BNHXF download page. This appears to have fixed both the stuttering & the artefacts issue. Thanks very much. The NUC specific driver is very old – 27 September 2018, ver 24.20.100.6286. I will do some more exhaustive testing over a range of different media to make sure the issues have been fixed. It would be reassuring that the sustaining engineers for the NUC are doing ongoing testing with all the windows 10 upgrades. In addition I am sure there are fixes and performance improvements to the newer versions of the drivers that I am assuming could be adapted to the NUC’s h/w footprint. I am assuming you are a retired Intel employee? I am an Intel retiree. All the best.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sadly, when they reimplemented the drivers to support the DCH driver model, the workaround used on the BN NUCs could not be supported. This means that the driver, as it is, is all there is.

Sorry I don't have a better answer,

...S

0 Kudos