Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21076 Discussions

Intel Iris XE blocked 3440 x 1440 30 Hz on AOC 34 monitor through HDMI 2.0

Hazakis
Beginner

Hi! There.I have an 34 inch monitor AOC U34G2G4R3 wich has a max refresh rate of 144hz.

My graphics card is the the Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics Family running on a I7 11th generation.

And whenever i'm running the latest version of the intel graphic driver, i always get my refresh rate blocked at 30hz ? 

As soon as i install version Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.5084  I get blocked at 30hz on 3440 x 1440 resolution.

The funny thing is that if I uninstall this version and install version 30.0.101.1404  I have automatically  60hz and 100hz.  I'm not expecting 144hz of course, but 100Hz is fine and definitely not 30hz.  Laptop is connected by HDMI.

My question is, why is this older version allowing me this refresh rate and the newers not ? 

Is this something someone on Intel could tackle of future versions? 

I attached the Intel SSU with the latest drivers and the one with older drivers.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Hazakis

Thank you for reaching out on the Intel® communities. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your concern.

Upon reviewing the two SSU files you attached, we observed that there are two distinct systems involved - a Dell Vostro 7620 and a Vivobook ASUS Laptop X3500PC_K3500PC. Regardless of the system, our recommendations for graphics drivers remain consistent. It's essential to note that Intel® provides generic versions of software and drivers. However, in the case of laptops, the computer manufacturer (OEM) may have made modifications or customizations.

To mitigate potential issues arising from the use of non-customized drivers, we strongly recommend installing the drivers provided by the manufacturer.

We hope this information addresses your queries. Your feedback is valuable to us as we strive for continuous improvement.

Should you have any further questions, feel free to let us know so that we can proceed to close the thread.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Hazakis
Beginner

Hi, @IsaacQ_Intel  sorry for the SSU not being the same.

So , yes, the laptop is a asus K3500PC. I went on asus website and downloaded latest driver  V31.0.101.4255. Driver that is built by Intel.

Of course, my monitor automatically is stuck on 30hz again. 

And got back to 30.0.101.1404  and got 100hz. 

What did change on the drivers so that i'm froze on 30hz ? Is that something that can be put back on next release of the drivers? or a change that I can do my self ? 

Regards,

Mauro Hazakis

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Hazakis

Thank you for your reply.

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Hazakis,

Thank you for responding. Following our investigation, kindly furnish us with the EDID data under both the old and new driver installations, with the monitor connected (information retrievable from the IGCC report). Ensure the PC-to-monitor connection mirrors the setup when it previously functioned with the old driver, ideally without a dock and without the use of adapters.

IGCC Report: Follow these steps to generate an Intel® Graphics Driver report for the Intel® Graphics Control Panel or the Intel® Graphics Command Center. Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers.

Have you initiated a support ticket with ASUS to inquire about the same issue? If not, we recommend doing so.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Hazakis,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Hazakis
Beginner

Hi, yes I will, Today I will post the IGCC report for you to analyze. Thanks

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Hazakis,

Thank you for your reply.

We will be waiting for the document.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Hazakis
Beginner

Hi, I attached reports the reports with the Asus latest drivers, the Intel latest drivers and also the driver that allows the monitor to work with 100hz refresh rate.

Will also open a support ticket with Asus. Thanks.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Hazakis

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your input. I will now investigate the issue internally and provide you with further details shortly.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Hazakis

If it's possible for you: check HDMI and THB ports using below instruction. Screenshots can be uploaded to thread.

So if your HDMI<->monitor connection is working, then:

• Right click on desktop and select "display settings"
  • click on external monitor, scroll down inside settings window and select "advanced display"
  • in "display information" section user will see name of his monitor and under name there will be graphics card to which monitor is connected

Update Nvidia drivers also:

• Asus site latest version: 30.0.14.7186
  • Nvidia site version: 546.33

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
Hazakis
Beginner

Hi, after installing both drivers.

Hazakis_0-1705620448717.png

Hazakis_1-1705620483292.png

Hazakis_2-1705620544747.png

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Hazakis

Thank you for getting back to us.

After reviewing the screenshots you provided, could we confirm that the issue has been resolved? Kindly provide clarification at your earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
Hazakis
Beginner

Hi, no, it's not resolved. Because I'm using Intel graphics 30.0.101.1404  and that allows me to have 100hz. If I use Asus latest version or Intel's latest version , i'm back to 30hz. does not matter what Nvidia drivers version I have. 

I have to use this, which has already 2y on it.

Hazakis_0-1705937351401.png

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Hazakis

Thank you for getting back to us.

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Hazakis

Thank you for your patience.

Based on the research we made regarding the information we have in this case, we still don't have info from you about which GPU is handling the screen (depending on port and load) - check the attached picture.

I was looking again at how it might be possible for HDMI 1.4 to work with 100Hz refresh and the only option I could find based on this nice calculator from LTT are those settings:

• resolution: 3440x1440
  • color depth: 8 or 10 bpc
  • color format: YCbCr 4:2:0 ==> key option

So please check if it is possible to set it up like that. 

GPU_display_connection.png

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Hazakis
Beginner

Hi Isaaq, 

Yes my setup is like that. But that's my internal monitor on laptop and only goes to 60hz.

On my 34 inch external, it should do 99hz/100hz but it does not unless i use very old drivers. 

And each time windows updates that driver, it goes bananas again. 

Happened just now. 

Hazakis_0-1707663982577.png

Now i have to revert back to version 30.0.101.1404 to get my 100hx back. It's a issue on my hdmi on my setup. Something changed on the drivers that now blocks this refresh rate somehow.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Hazakis,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Hazakis

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos