Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Intel Iris Xe graphic artefacts while playing Elex game

igority
Beginner

Hi,

When trying to play the "Elex" game (link to the game on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/411300/ELEX/ ) on my laptop with Intel Iris Xe graphic card, the game runs relativelly smoothly (fps wise), but I am experiencing black flickering squares, usually when the objects meet the sky. 
I tried changing every single graphic setting, it did not resolve the issue.
The drivers used currently are up to date (version 30.0.100.9955). I even tried installing older drivers, the issue is always present.
I am reporting this issue since searching online I could not find a single reference about the issue being already reported.
I am attaching different logs about my system, as well as some screenshots of the issue.

Thanks!

Edit: Also attached the "Graphic bug report" file.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello igority,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Does the issue only happen in this game?
  2. Does the issue only happen when playing or does it happen with other applications?
  3. Have you tried using the drivers provided by the OEM?
  4. Do you get any error codes?

Also, please download and install the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
igority
Beginner

Hi Josue,

Thanks for replying. To answer your questions:

1. Does the issue only happen in this game? - Yes. I also tested Borderlands 1 & 2; No Man's Sky, Skyrim, it did not occur on any other game. I strongly believe it is connected to something specific to this game, since I found the same issue reported elsewhere for another graphic card, GTX 1660 here: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/black-flickering-squares-in-game/68329
      Also in the meantime I managed to find this post concerning the same card on the same game, so the issue was here for quite some time https://steamcommunity.com/app/411300/discussions/0/2941370278942979700/ (a screenshot was posted in the discussion which matches exactly my issue)

2. Does the issue only happen when playing or does it happen with other applications? - Only when playing

3. Have you tried using the drivers provided by the OEM? - As I mentioned on my previous post, I currently have the latest drivers. I tried reinstalling several versions, starting from very old to quite recent, the issue is always there.

4. Do you get any error codes? - No error codes, since it is a visual glitch that does not throw any exception

I am also attaching the ssu report. You can also refer to screenshots as well as any other reports I could muster in my original post. Frankly, the issue is quite easy to reproduce, I am certain that if you just try to run the game on this graphic card it will show itself.

If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Regards,

igority
0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello igority,

We recommend performing a clean install of the latest graphics drivers provided by the system manufacturer since these drivers are customized. Follow these steps:

Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 

• Click the search and type Windows updates and click on that option.

• Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Clean installation of the Graphics Driver:

1- Download the latest customized driver from the Computer Manufacturer Support Websites and save the installer on the computer.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Uninstall the Intel Graphics driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

• Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics.html

4- Restart the computer.

5- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

6- If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in Device Manager should now be listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter', or similar. If not, repeat step 3. Repeat the process until it is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'.

7- Install the latest graphics driver provided by the system manufacturer.

8- Once the latest driver has been installed, enable the internet connection again.

If the issue persists, repeat the Clean installation process using the latest Intel® generic graphics driver available at Download Center.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

Best regards,  

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
igority
Beginner

The drivers that the manufacturer recommends are version 30.0.100.9805. I had them downloaded and installed from the manufacturer's website and the issue was reproduced on them as well. In fact, I first identified the issue on those drivers, which prompted me to try to update the drivers to the latest version. Since this did not resolve the issue, I tried reinstalling some of the older drivers. I tried at least 3 versions of different drivers in between before concluding that the issue was never fixed on any single driver released for the Intel Iris Xe graphic card.

This is the reason I am reporting the issue, so that it eventually gets fixed on some future release of drivers. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello igority,

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards,  

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
igority
Beginner

Hi Josue,

Thank you. Let me know if I can provide any additional documents, or if can be of any assistance. 

Regards

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello igority,

There is a known issue and we are working to release a fix soon. We have just released a new driver (version 30.0.101.1069), although the issue is still listed there too, please try testing the driver and check if there are any improvements. Perform a clean installation following the steps provided in previous posts and using the latest driver. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

In case the issue persists, please keep testing OEM drivers and keep checking our Download Center for updates and fixes. 

Also, we recommend you to report this to the game developer too and ask them for recommendations to use the proper game settings. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
igority
Beginner

Hello Josue,

Thank you for looking into this issue in depth. I installed the new driver (version 30.0.101.1069) following the method you provided in the previous post. As suspected, the issue still persists with these drivers. However, I am glad to hear that the issue is known and that a fix is being worked on.
I will be looking out for a new version, and will report here any updates.

Thank you!

Regards,
igority 

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello igority,

Thank you for testing out the driver and reaching back to us with the feedback. Since it is a known issue please keep checking for new driver releases to find out when a fix comes for this issue. 

Also, remember to keep an eye on OEM driver releases for your system, you can ask them if they have any newer drivers that you could try to see if the issue gets better. 

We also recommend you to reach the game developer and check if they have any suggestions for this type of situation and if they do, try them out and see if they work. 

The thread will remain open in case fellow community members would like to add some information or share their experiences and possible fixes for this issue. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Best regards,  

Josue O.  

0 Kudos