Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20785 Discussions

Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Family - Aspect Ratio Difficulty

idata
Employee

Hi, all!

I'm having a bit of a problem. When I try to change my aspect ratio setting from "Fullscreen (No Border)" to "Maintain Aspect Ratio", nothing happens at all. I'm able to open "aspect ratio options" and make my selection, but the "apply" but remains greyed out and when I click "ok," nothing happens whatsoever; the setting stays on "Fullscreen (No Border)." When I attempt to change the settings by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing graphics options -> panel fit -> maintain aspect ratio, again, nothing whatsoever happens; the old setting remains in effect.

I've tried updating my drivers from the manufacturer's website (I'm running a Dell Inspiron 1545), but the problem persists. I'm unable to use Intel's generic drivers (even using the workaround) as my computer just insists, "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue? I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, in case that's relevant.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

The problem is an internal one. As long as you keep the default (best) resolution the driver switches back to "Full screen scaling". Just use a different resolution, change the settings afterwards -> now the aspect ratio is reset correctly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Got the same problem here and this works.

But my new problem is, that if you start an application, e.g. a game, which switches the resolution from the native to a lower one, you cannot set the setting how it should scale.

Switching to windows results in a the native resolution and where you cant change the settings for the game resolution.

Has someone any other clue, better then switching the resolution before starting the application and change the settings, which is very ugly?

0 Kudos
JTerr5
Novice

This is honestly the most annoying bug in the software. Any time you create a custom resolution at 4:3, you have NO OPTION to maintain aspect ratio. It's complete crap. The driver always decides to stretch full screen.

Please make this the # 1 thing to fix. Make it so we can MAINTAIN ASPECT RATIO for custom resolutions.

I'm purposely bumping all aspect ratio questions so you programmers know how serious of an issue this is.

Also fix the limited 60hz problem for monitors that can go to 120hz. That's another huge bug.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

This problem has been reported here: /thread/51712 Where is "maintain aspect ratio" for Intel HD 4000 on Windows 8.1?

Allan.

0 Kudos