Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 - Add Dedicated Video Memory

Aymeric49
Beginner

Could you please tell me if it is possible to dedicate more Dedicated Memory Video? I Have 

• Total Available Graphics Memory: 4166 MB
  • Dedicated Video Memory: 128 MB
  • System Video Memory: 0 MB
  • Shared System Memory: 4038 MB

This is for gaming purpose, is there anyway I could have a better graphic to play games that i presently can't run?

Many Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Let me say this a little better. Once upon a time, the parameters in the BIOS were used to reserve memory at runtime. It was found that this limited the overall performance of the system. As a result, when the DCH-architected Windows drivers were introduced, support for this capability was not included. The Windows drivers dynamically manage the memory dedicated to graphics based upon current demands. When demands are low, the memory is released and is available to speed other processing. When demands are high, the amount necessary to support this demand it is made available (up to 50% of your system's memory).

Permanently dedicating (more) memory to graphics will not improve graphics performance. In fact, it is more likely to reduce overall performance.

A problem that folks have run into is with older games that do really idiotic things like refusing to run if there does not appear to be enough memory dedicated beforehand. This is a bug in these games. You need to get a fix from the game developers.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your graphics will consume up to 50% of available system memory.  Dedicated video memory is irrelevant in today's world.  

0 Kudos
Aymeric49
Beginner

Thanks For your reply, does that mean that my computer dedicated video ram is running on 50% of 4038 MB (2GB)?

It won't let me play games that requires 2GB minimum of Video Ram.

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, your dedicated ram is controlled by the bios.  Your system ram is the amount of memory your system has, and your graphics will take up to 50 % of that.  You want more memory for games?  Add more memory to your system.  And, forget about this "dedicated" ram.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Followup - just to help you understand graphics memory:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics.html

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Aymeric49
Beginner
Thank you for your prompt reply, I am sorry if that question sound basic to you but how can I add more memory to the system and can I change the dedicated ram via the bios?
Thanks
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Your system has memory slots.  I do not know the maximum amount of memory your system can support.  Contact your system manufacturer.  You may have empty slots that you can add memory to, or you may have to replace the memory you have with higher density memory.  All this will do is increase your system memory.  Remember - I told you to forget dedicated memory.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Let me say this a little better. Once upon a time, the parameters in the BIOS were used to reserve memory at runtime. It was found that this limited the overall performance of the system. As a result, when the DCH-architected Windows drivers were introduced, support for this capability was not included. The Windows drivers dynamically manage the memory dedicated to graphics based upon current demands. When demands are low, the memory is released and is available to speed other processing. When demands are high, the amount necessary to support this demand it is made available (up to 50% of your system's memory).

Permanently dedicating (more) memory to graphics will not improve graphics performance. In fact, it is more likely to reduce overall performance.

A problem that folks have run into is with older games that do really idiotic things like refusing to run if there does not appear to be enough memory dedicated beforehand. This is a bug in these games. You need to get a fix from the game developers.

...S

0 Kudos