Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel UHD 620 Graphics Flickering HELP!!!!

ramix
Novice

HI

i have Lenovo Ideapad 520 with this specs:

Intel i7 8 series U

Intel uhd 620 

nvidia mx150 dedicated graphics  (4gb)

i owned this laptop over 3 years and in this 6 month i faced with the annoying issue 

Screen Flickering

i spent so many times on forums and sites and i tried so many ways also i contact with local customer service and there is nothing to fix ! there is nothing damaged in motherboard or monitor

but this laptop keep flickering while intel uhd driver is enabled

but you should know what i did for fixing this :

1- installed fresh and latest windows 10 with GPT and on UEFI

2-updated my bios 

3-tried over 10 version of intel uhd 620 and mx 150 

4- fresh install drivers with Zip file

5-trying to install drivers only with windows update

but nothing fixed 

please help me fix this issue i'm really mad at Intel and this situation is so disappointing  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It's really quite simple; once your warranty ran out, Lenovo abandoned you. They stopped providing driver updates. They probably stopped providing BIOS updates as well.

Here's the issue: Lenovo may have modified the graphics driver to support some feature(s) of their platform. When you download and install the generic graphics drivers from the Intel site, you are losing these modifications. As a baseline, you must return to the drivers on the Lenovo site, no matter how old they are. If this results in stable operation, then you must talk to Lenovo and find out whether they will provide an update package with their modifications.

BTW, I don't know if this is applicable in your case, but this may help other people - if your laptop has hybrid graphics (i.e. a second graphics engine from NVIDIA, AMD, etc.), then there is an even higher likelihood that the drivers have been modified. You must use the graphics drivers from the Lenovo site for this engine as well.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. It is common for them to (they think simplify things; I think complicate things and create questions like this) by referring to this as the VGA driver.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ramix,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

We understand that you are experiencing some flickering whenever the UHD graphics are enabled.

To better assist you I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• Have you tried a external monitor? If so, does the flickering persists?
  • Please confirm your operating system version? Is it 2004?
  • Were any changes/updates made prior to this behavior?
  • Did you download the drivers from Intel website or from Lenovo*?

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1.       Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.      By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3.       Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.       To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

ramix
Novice

Hello Dear ,

when flickering started i tried to attach external display and then flickering has been gone.

yes operating system is 2004 and the latest build no.

no it does not appear after specific update or changes.

yes i downloaded drivers from Intel & Nvidia Official Web Sites.

also i tried to install drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller but nothing fixed.

please help to fix this 

also scan result has been attached

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ramix,

Thank you so much for your response and the information attached.

The fact that there is no flickering when an external monitor is connected could mean that something else may be causing this behavior.

I would recommend the following:

1.      I noticed that you are using an Intel generic driver, as this is a Laptop (OEM) device I would recommend to perform a clean installation of both drivers (NVIDIA* and Intel).

Additionally, please check for any display firmware (if applicable). You can find the drivers provided by your OEM here.

2.      If the behavior persists, I would recommend rolling back your operating system version for testing purposes.

3.      When you state that there is no monitor damage, by any change did you check that with your OEM?

When talking about laptops, the use of OEM drivers/software is essential because your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes.

I would always recommend the use of customized drivers to avoid any potential impact due to the load of non-customized drivers.

Please give it a try and share results with me. 

Esteban D. 

ramix
Novice
1-as i said before i did clean install before

2-maybe the version i have to install is 1907 and that is too old
Also i did a clean install of windows
maybe 5 month ago on 1909 and nothing fixed

3-yes there is no physical damage

The driver that available in Lenovo web site is too old maybe for 2 years ago and i dont khow why does not updated and the new version of windows not supported maybe .

And i have a question the driver that available in Lenovo web is labeled as Vga does it same as Drivers that availble in intel site?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It's really quite simple; once your warranty ran out, Lenovo abandoned you. They stopped providing driver updates. They probably stopped providing BIOS updates as well.

Here's the issue: Lenovo may have modified the graphics driver to support some feature(s) of their platform. When you download and install the generic graphics drivers from the Intel site, you are losing these modifications. As a baseline, you must return to the drivers on the Lenovo site, no matter how old they are. If this results in stable operation, then you must talk to Lenovo and find out whether they will provide an update package with their modifications.

BTW, I don't know if this is applicable in your case, but this may help other people - if your laptop has hybrid graphics (i.e. a second graphics engine from NVIDIA, AMD, etc.), then there is an even higher likelihood that the drivers have been modified. You must use the graphics drivers from the Lenovo site for this engine as well.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. It is common for them to (they think simplify things; I think complicate things and create questions like this) by referring to this as the VGA driver.

0 Kudos
ramix
Novice

that is really disappointing 

thanks Scott for explanation 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ramix,

We really hope that you are able to resolve this matter using the drivers provided by the OEM.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.