Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Intel UHD 620 screen tearing and glitching

Steve241
Beginner

Hello, 

After updating to the latest version of my graphics card, noticeable screen tearing or glitching starts to occur. This type of problem only occurs if there's movement on my screen. I tried preforming a clean uninstallation and installation but the problem still persists whenever I do update my drivers. I tried running safe mode while UHD 620 is installed  to see if its a software issue and the problem stops when in safe mode. The weird thing is this problem has been occurring throughout the years and usually happens when my drivers are REALLY outdated so I easily just update my drivers using a clean installation and it's back to normal. However, I couldn't preform the usual installation to fix the screen tearing issues with these recent updates so that's why I'm reaching out for advice on how to fix this issue. 

Provided are videos of my display while using the Microsoft Basic Display drivers, a video of the screen tearing in action while updating my drivers, and my SSU report

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Steve241

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you have tried performing a clean uninstallation and installation process but the issue persists. We also noticed you mentioned that "you couldn't perform the usual installation to fix this problem". Therefore, we would like to review the clean installation process and try this one more time.

It’s worth mentioning that Intel® provides generic versions of software and drivers. When talking about laptops, the computer manufacturer (OEM) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes. For this reason, we recommend the installation of the drivers provided by the manufacturer to avoid any potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. This is especially important on platforms with dual-graphics configurations (e.g.: Intel® + Nvidia*).

According to the Acer website, the recommended driver version for the Intel® Graphics controller on this computer is version 24.20.100.6286.

Note: We recommend contacting ACER* Support and checking with them if they have a newer version of the customized graphics driver.

To install the driver, please these steps:

1- Check if there are Windows updates available and if so, please update the Operating System, refer to Update Windows* for more information.

2- Download the latest ACER* driver from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel® VGA Driver Version 24.20.100.6286.

3- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

4- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

5- Expand the Display adapters section and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager (e.g.: Intel® UHD Graphics 620).

6- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

7- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

8- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

9- Open Device Manager once more.

10- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel® UHD Graphics 620 or similar, repeat steps 6-8.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded Acer* file to install the driver.

11- Reboot the computer when prompted.

We also recommend checking with ACER* Support to make sure the system is running the proper and customized driver for the NVIDIA* GeForce MX150 discrete graphics card.

If the issue persists, you can repeat the process using the latest generic Intel® Graphics DCH Driver (.exe file) version 31.0.101.2111.

If the problem is not solved, please kindly review and try the additional steps below and provide us with the outcome:

1- Check for any equipment near the display/computer that could be causing electrical noise.

2- If possible, try changing the refresh rate to a lower setting and test the behavior. For instance, based on the report, the built-in display supports a Minimum Refresh Rate of 48Hz. You may change this from the Intel® Graphics Command Center > Display > General tab or use Windows Advanced Display Settings.

3- If the Panel Self Refresh setting is available in the Intel Graphics Command Center, test by disabling it by following the steps in this article: How to Enable and Disable Panel Self Refresh. (Note: the availability of this feature depends on the OEM customizations).

4- Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

5- Based on the videos, our understanding is that the behavior is observed on the laptop's built-in display. Could you please test using an external monitor with a straight-through connection and let us know if the behavior is different?

6- Does the issue happen inside the BIOS configuration screen?

7- Is the behavior happening when the system is plugged into the power source, when using only battery, or with both?

8- The integrated Intel® GPU hardware doesn't use a separate memory bank for graphics/video. Instead, the GPU uses system memory. Therefore, we would also suggest running a test for the memory RAM.

Sometimes, computers have a built-in tool from the manufacturer that allows users to run some tests on the system, including tests for the RAM. Usually, this is loaded from the BIOS or a key during system POST. We recommend reviewing your Computer's User Manual or checking with Acer* Support to see if this option is available on your system and for the proper steps.

You may also try a third-party tool to test the RAM. For instance, Memtest86+*, a free, standalone memory testing program.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Steve241
Beginner

Hey Andrew, 

So I tried installing the driver recommended by Acer and the latest version of the DCH driver but the problem still occurs. I will try to answer all the additional steps you provided for me. 

1.  Not sure what particular equipment may cause interference as I typically use my laptop on either my desk that doesn't have any other electrical devices or my bed so I assume no on this one. 
2. I tried lowering refresh rate while the drivers were installed but no luck 

3. I do not have this option 

4. Attached
5. So the problem doesn't occur on an external monitor which narrows it down to a display issue on my end. Which is weird because I'm currently using the Basic Adapter and it works just fine. 
6. No, with both drivers installed. 
7. Both 
8.  Ran the test and my memory ram is working fine

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Steve241

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Steve241

Thank you for your response and for the report.

Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Steve241

After reviewing this further, based on the troubleshooting tried so far, the type of issue, and the fact that the behavior doesn't occur on an external monitor, this is pointing out the issue is related to the built-in display.

At this point, our recommendation is to report this to the computer manufacturer ACER* so they may provide you with further assistance on this matter.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos