Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Intel UHD Graphics 620 issue with YouTube 4K@60Hz

JKarl4
Beginner

Hello,

I have issues viewing YouTube content in 2160p at 60 Hz. The video is stuttering and YouTube's "statistics for nerds" reveals that about one third of the frames are dropped. I have a steady internet connection of about 60 Kbps and the buffer health is around 10 s. Thus the problem seems not to be with my connection but rather with the playback of the content. The stuttering is worse when viewing in fullscreen but noticeable otherwise as well. When switching from 2160p to 1440p the stuttering is reduced but some frames are still dropped (in fullscreen).

I'm using a laptop with an Intel Core i5-8250U, Intel UHD Graphics 620, 8 GB 2400 Hz DDR4 RAM and an external (extended) monitor. The external monitor runs at 3840x2160 resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate while the laptop monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080 and is also running at 60 Hz. I've tried connecting the monitor with an HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 with similar results. I'm using Windows 10 Education (10.0.17135) and graphics driver version 23.20.16.4973.

Best regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello kajoel

Thank you for joining the Intel® community.

Allow me to share with you that the operating system that you have installed on your system is a beta version that is not supported by our drivers, therefore we cannot guaranty what performance/behavior of the system.

Details about the Intel UHD 620 graphics driver please refer to the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27988/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126789 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27988/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126789

Hope this help.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
JKarl4
Beginner

Hello,

My mistake, according to Windows Update the Windows version I have is 1803 and the build-version is 17134.286 (the previous information came from Intel's Graphics Control Panel). I don't think that this is a beta version but please correct me if I'm wrong. Since my original post, I have updated my Intel graphics drivers to 24.20.100.6286. In a test, with the same YouTube video as last time, about one fifth of the frames were dropped, which is an improvement (if the measurement errors aren't too big) but still unwatchable.

Best regards

PS. Here's a link to the video I use for testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3AKlscrjmQ& 4K Video Ultra HD 60fps Epic 2160p Drone Footage Filmed in 4K RAW! - YouTube

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kajoel

Thank you for confirming the information on your system.

Please provide me with the following information:
  • What is the brand and model of your laptop, the external display, video cable used for the testing?
  • Provide me with the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* report (see the steps below).
  • The Intel graphics report with the external display connected to the system (see the steps below).
  • I would like to verify if you have tried to play downloaded videos with the same format on the system, do you have the same outcome?

1. Run the utility.
  2. Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
  3. Once the scan is complete click on "next".
  4. Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
  5. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

• Intel® Graphics report. Please follow the instructions below:

1. Right click on the Desktop, and click on Graphics Properties.
  2. Click Options and Support, and then click Information Center.
  3. Click on Save (save it in your desktop).
  4. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
JKarl4
Beginner

Hello,

• My hardware:
    1. Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 920-13IKB
    2. External Monitor: BenQ BL2711U
    3. Connection (I have tested both of the below with similar results):
      • Satechi "aluminum type-c to HDMI cable 4k 60hz" and the HDMI cable provided by BenQ (included with the monitor).
      • CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 3 Plus connected to my laptop with a certified CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 cable and to the monitor with the DisplayPort cable provided by BenQ (included with the monitor)
  • Regarding Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* report: see attached file: system_report.txt
  • Regarding Intel graphics report (with external monitor connected): see attached file: graphics_report.txt
  • Regarding downloaded videos: I don't have any 4K 60Hz 10-bit-colour-depth VP9 encoded local content but, given a sample video, I would, of course, like to test.

Best regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kajoel

Thank you for the information.

Allow me to share with you that looking into his graphics report I noticed that the laptop reports a native resolution of 1920x1080p at 59.94Hz/60Hz, in this case, is important verify with the OEM what is the supported output for the video ports on the system and if this native resolution may affect the external display output.

Please bear in mind that Intel® does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. We can recommend you to update your graphics driver, that in some cases will fix the problem also I would recommend testing straight connections (HDMI® to HDMI ®, DP to DP).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos