Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20916 Discussions

Intel graphic driver

Klempa
Beginner

Hello im trying to update my intel graphic driver it says that i overwrite oem or something like that my cpu I5-1135g7 is in that update list is it safe to update the driver or shoul i stay with the driver that is installed?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If this is a laptop (or AIO PC), the manufacturer may be modifying the Intel Driver package to (also) support specific features of their hardware design. Overwriting with a subsequent generic driver from the Intel site will eliminate these modifications. This can cause features - buttons, keystrokes, etc. - to stop working and could even make the system unstable. For this reason, Intel always recommends that you use the drivers provided by the manufacturer and that unexpected operation could be seen if Intel's generic drivers are used.

Typically, being asked for permission to overwrite the driver is an indication that the Intel Driver and Support Assistant believes that the driver may have been modified by the manufacturer. If you choose to use the Intel generic drivers, you are on your own and unsupported. Being bold and unafraid of the bleeding edge (and perhaps a tad looney), I will regularly overwrite existing drivers with updated generic drivers from Intel. I then test to see if it has adversely affected system operation. If it does, I go back to the manufacturer-provided driver. This can be a long and involved operation, so, unless you are knowledgeable enough to also to do, I don't recommend installing these generic drivers.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Klempa
Beginner

Yes i have a laptop imso confused the intel control room software says i have the best drivers installed and the intel driver and support assistant gives me a 1GB graphic update i rly dont know what to do my system feels a litlle bit bad too its a brand new laptop btw 

0 Kudos
Klempa
Beginner

u said I go back to the manufacturer-provided driver. This can be a long and involved operation, 

a backup brings me back to the manufacturer provided driver or is not that simple?

0 Kudos
marcus0
Beginner

updating your Intel graphics driver is generally safe, but it's a good idea to check your laptop manufacturer's support website for any recommended or customized drivers. If you decide to go with the generic Intel drivers, ensure you read the release notes and consider creating a backup before proceeding with the update.

0 Kudos
marcus0
Beginner

Updating graphics drivers can be beneficial for performance improvements and bug fixes. However, it's important to exercise caution, especially when dealing with OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) drivers, as they are often customized by the computer manufacturer for specific hardware configurations.

Here are some considerations before updating your Intel graphics driver:

1. Check OEM Support:

• Visit the official website of your laptop or computer manufacturer (OEM) and check for driver updates specifically tailored for your device.
    • Some OEMs modify standard drivers to optimize them for their hardware, and using generic drivers from Intel may not be fully compatible.
  2. OEM Customizations:

• OEMs sometimes make customizations to graphics drivers to ensure stability and compatibility with other components in their systems.
    • Using drivers directly from Intel may overwrite these customizations, potentially causing compatibility issues.
  3. Driver Release Notes:

• Read the release notes provided by Intel for the updated graphics driver. This information often includes details about improvements, fixes, and known issues.
    • If the release notes mention compatibility with your specific CPU model and no conflicts with your OEM, it may be safer to proceed.
  4. Backup Current Driver:

• Before updating, consider creating a backup or restore point for your current graphics driver. This allows you to revert to the previous state if any issues arise.
  5. Intel Driver & Support Assistant:

• Use Intel's official Driver & Support Assistant tool. This utility can identify the latest Intel drivers compatible with your system, reducing the risk of installing incompatible versions.
  6. OEM Support Forums:

• Check your computer manufacturer's support forums or community to see if other users with the same model have successfully updated to the latest Intel graphics driver without issues.

Ultimately, if your OEM provides regular driver updates and there are no specific compatibility issues mentioned, it's generally safer to stick with the drivers provided by the manufacturer. If you decide to update using the generic Intel driver, proceed with caution and be ready to roll back the update if you encounter any problems.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@marcus0   "Check your computer manufacturer's support forums or community "

Is that not what the user did by posting here, or do you need ChatGPT to help you answer that?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos