Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

Intel graphics control panel won't lauch.

lbart7
Beginner

Hi,

I have downloaded the intel graphics control panel to access my UHD 630 graphic propoerties. However, it won't launch, stating that "intel graphics driver is unavailable. Check the driver status then launch the application". I cannot access graphic properties from the desktop neither, as right-click menu does not include intel graphics properties.

I have a dell xps 15 9570 with dual graphics. I have latest dell intel graphic drivers. I have tried all the drivers, from dell and directly from internet, to no avail. I have disconnected from the internet to uninstall and reinstall drivers, as mentionned in several threads, with no effect. What should I do?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Hi lbart7, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. We recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform. Even though you mentioned that you already installed the driver we can always try to do a clean installation of the driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html After following those steps, please try to install graphics driver version 24.20.100.6287 ,A02: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=HFTD6&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-15-9570-laptop If the problem persists, we can try to install the Intel® generic graphics driver version DCH 25.20.100.6519: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28515/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126790 There are some steps that we can try in order to access the Intel® graphics control panel: First we want to uninstall all drivers from the system first so under Video Adapters we see 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'. To do this properly follow these steps: 1. Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer. 2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 3. Uninstall the DCH driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features. 4. Restart the computer. 5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 6.1.1 Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 6.1.2 In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 6.1.3 Click on 'Uninstall'. 6.1.4 Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 7. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1. 8. Restart the computer. 9. Reconnect to the Internet. 10. Download the Intel Graphics Control Panel from the MS Store. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
lbart7
Beginner

Hi, thank you for your answer. Tried all these to no avail. Still no way to acess Intel graphics control panel (either through right-click or through MS app).

What can I do?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, you should only be using drivers downloaded from Dell's website; you should NOT be using drivers downloaded from the Intel or NVIDIA sites. When dual graphics solutions are used - and especially in laptops - there is a high probability that the graphics drivers have been modified to support switching between solutions (as well as other features (brightness, etc.) in the case of laptops). Using the generic drivers from Intel and/or NVIDIA will not include support for these features and could cause improper operation. Thus, your first task is to do the following:

1. Disable Internet access (unplug you Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless).
  2. Uninstall the Intel and NVIDIA Graphics drivers you currently have installed.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Install the latest Intel and NVIDIA Graphics drivers that are available on Dell's site.
  5. Re-enable Internet access.

Ok, once that it done, let's look at the version number of the Intel graphics driver you have installed. If the version of the Intel Graphics Driver that you have installed has a build number (i.e. the last four digits of the version string) that is 6444 or higher, then you have a version of the new DCH driver. In this case, the DCH driver installers cannot install secondary items like the Control Panel app. You have to separately download the app from the Microsoft App Store. If the build number is less than 6444, on the other hand, you have a legacy (non-DCH) driver. In this case, the driver should have installed a Control Panel app already and you do not need the DCH version that is provided in the Microsoft App Store. Attempting to use this DCH version will (surprise!) result in a message saying that the (DCH) driver is unavailable.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
lbart7
Beginner

Hi,

many thanks for your answer. I use the dell version (6287), but no desktop right-click option for intel, even after suppressing and reinstalling driver. Conversely, I used the DHC version and the MS app would not launch. The issue is elsewhere!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Hi lbart7, You are very welcome, we are sorry to hear the issue persists. Please try the following steps: -In Device Manager check Intel® Graphics Driver version is DCH 25.20.100.6519, if not the latest then install it. Check if issue still remains. -Go to Apps & Features, uninstall the Intel® Graphics Driver uninstall all driver versions until the only one remaining is the MS* Basic graphics driver. Then reinstall the latest available Intel® Graphics Driver DCH 25.20.100.6519. Check if issue still remains. -Go to App & Features, look for Intel® Graphics Control Panel. Click on “Advanced options”. Click on “Terminate”, then Click on “Repair”. Then Click on “Reset”. Restart the PC. Check if issue still remains. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
lbart7
Beginner

Thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately, these steps do not improve the issue.

I attach an intel diag of my system for further investigations.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
lbart7, You are very welcome, thank you for the report. In this case the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the computer, which is Dell, to verify with them if they might have a customized graphics driver to fix this problem or if they have further suggestions on this matter: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04 Please let us know the results. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
lbart7
Beginner

For those facing the same issue, since intel support was of very little help here:

I was finally able to get things straight and working by using ddu (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) to uninstall both intel and nvidia graphics drivers, then re-installing both drivers with the version provided by dell. Contrary to what the ddu app suggests, I did not use windows in safe mode for this manip.

Best

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
lbart7, Thank you very much for sharing that information, we are sure it will be very useful for all the peers viewing this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos