Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel iGPU Iris Xe (i5-1155G7) crashes when using directX 10

rambomhtri
New Contributor II

Hi, I just bought a laptop msi Modern 15 with the CPU i5-1155G7 which integrates the iGPU Iris Xe. I installed all the drivers from msi except for the iGPU driver, that I use always Intel's latest drivers:

30.0.101.1191 (12/14/2021)

Everything is working just fine and to measure the performance I use Passmark benchmarking software. One of the test measures the iGPU, in two categories, 2D and 3D. The 2D works fine, does all the tests and I get a benchmark that is what you would expect from the Iris Xe. All fine here.

In the 3D benchmark, it does a few tests showing videogames scenarios to test the FPS, and it's divided in directX 9, 10, 11 and 12. All the tests work fine, until it reaches the directX10. Then the laptop starts to freeze while performing the test and a message appears in the Action Center (right low corner of Windows) saying that the application was stopped from using the iGPU or something like that, really weird. 

If I go to Device Manager and "update" the iGPU driver, to one that is obviously a previous version of what I had (I believe it was the 1069 driver), the tests work all fine, no error, all fine. However, they perform a little worse than the 1191.

Am I the only one with this problem?
Are the 1191 kind of broken drivers?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
rambomhtri
New Contributor II

As I was expecting, it was just the drivers.

After updating to the newest 30.0.101.1340, my Iris Xe GPU is working, not only fantastic and now the problem is gone, but it's performing better than with the previous drivers from December. Overall, the GPU benchmarks are 8% better than before, repeated several times and consistently giving that extra 8%.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

Your first mistake is to install intel generic drivers as the first option... On laptops, due to customizations made by the manufacturers, users should install the custom driver the manufacturer provides... unless there is a critical issue that is not addressed by custom driver but only by the generic driver, custom drivers are the ones that should run on the system...

I would say that you install the graphics driver from MSI

I personally don't bother with "benchmark results", what matters is the performance in real life... real work... real applications

0 Kudos
rambomhtri
New Contributor II

Absolutely not. Manufacturer drivers go outdated so very soon and they abandon them (obviously), so yeah, my first option in external peripherals such as network card, ethernet card, bluetooth and GPU are ALWAYS go to Intel or nVIDIA. Period. Never had any problem that was not resolved or that only happened in the Intel version and not in the msi version.

For chipset, audio, BIOS and that stuff, go to msi website. For GPU, or networking, go to Intel, AMD or nVIDIA.

Benchmarks are fantastic tools to measure how well your PC performs... I've been doing this for years, decades almost, I know what I do and I know how to read the results.

The point here is not discussing which drivers I should use, the point here is the latest drivers for Iris Xe are crashing in dX10, at least in Passmark. I know as a fact the previos version (generic as well) works fine. I'm hoping somebody can tell me if their Iris Xe does not behave like that with the latest drivers. Or that indeed it's a problem of the latest drivers, which is what I think.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Regardless of your primary problem (let's call this an 'aside'), @megan3000 is absolutely correct. You are going to lose all customizations that the laptop manufacturer may have included - or perhaps created laptop instabilities - if you install Intel generic drivers over the Manufacturer's drivers. You should not be installing the latest from Intel on laptops unless the laptop manufacturer indicates it is ok to do so. Yes, this could mean that you don't have the latest and greatest bug fixes that Intel has released, but this is a problem with the slimy laptop manufacturers not doing their jobs, not Intel. Perhaps the right answer is for Intel to simply not support laptop manufacturers installing their customizations via the graphics drivers. If they did that, you wouldn't have these dependencies that the laptop manufacturers, with their slimy warranties and their slimy, for-profit support groups, aren't going to meet.

...S

0 Kudos
rambomhtri
New Contributor II

Been configuring and building PCs and laptops for more than a decade, and I can't disagree with your statement more. I never ever use the msi/ASUS/Acer/whatever specific drivers when installing the GPU or network drivers (considering they are from Intel or a big name brand with up to date driver delivery). Ever. What's that, an msi from 2016 with perfect fantastic GPU, CPU and WiFi (from Intel). Yeah, lemme install the msi GPU driver from 2017 in 2022. See how good it works with this game.

First of all, it's really, really, really weird that a generic driver makes something go wrong that the msi driver does not (same version, of course). Over the literally hundreds of PCs and laptops I've configured, I can barely name 2 or 3 cases where I preferred the manufacturer's drivers over generics, I don't remember when but I know it happened, probably due to the user wanting to use a weird software from the manufacturer that could only work with those drivers (something about a color app from the manufacturer to fine tune the display).

Second, I really wanna read actual Iris Xe users that can confirm or not this problem is happening in Passmark with the latest drivers. The debate is not "which drivers should I install?", the debate is "are the latest drivers from Intel causing this?".

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

First of all, any user should not be getting from their manufacturer an old driver from 2016, 2017 or similar for this newer GPUs.... The possibility that you have not had big issues before does not make n_scott_pearson's incorrect... Just take a look at the general Intel's disclaimer in the driver download pages and "driver update tools"... they say the same thing...

I always use the manufacturer's drivers on all my systems and on the systems that I have built (desktop PCS) and/or troubleshooted from family, friends and customers...

I can say that I haven't had issues on my systems using the manufacturers drivers... So, if you have had issues with some manufacturers drivers doesn't mean that it is the common scenario...

Surely for a newer graphics controller as the Iris Xe, users should be getting newer drivers... In fact, I have a laptop with Iris Xe and the manufacturer lenovo is giving me very "updated" drivers, with just a couple of months in the delay between the released date from Intel and Lenovo.... With this in mind, I don't think that is worth to install the Intel generics over the lenovo drivers (This is my opinion)

But... if you don't want to try a simple test which is testing the MSI driver (customized for your system specially if it also has a 2nd GPU, therefore, customization is more important...), then it is ok, you are free to do so...

Hopefully someone else that also uses benchmarks may provide any other info...

(I would be worried if the GPU crashes on real workload and using useful-real tasks... but not on benchmarks)

best wishes,

Megan

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

I want to add 2 things:

1- a correction for a typing error... I meant:

• First of all, any user should not be getting from their manufacturer an old driver from 2016, 2017 or similar for this newer GPUs.... The possibility that you have not had big issues before does not make n_scott_pearson's statement* incorrect (...)

2- I understand that for previous models of GPUs (HD 5xxx series, HD 5xx, and some UHD 6xx series) manufacturers in some cases may abandon users and stopped providing new drivers... However, this certainly should not be the case for the newer GPUs such as Iris Xe, Xe Max, UHD 7xx series...

0 Kudos
rambomhtri
New Contributor II

"First of all, any user should not be getting from their manufacturer an old driver from 2016, 2017 or similar for this newer GPUs"

Man... that was an example... of course msi or any other company is not putting 2016 drivers for a CPU's iGPU that's 7 months old. I wanted to point out that if I have a laptop from 2015 with a nVIDIA GT840M, the manufacturer is going to have 2017 drivers for that MAXIMUM if you are lucky, meanwhile nVIDIA is providing a driver for that card that's a few days old, and keep them coming. Nonsense to stick with the 2017 driver.

The same goes for Intel network cards, WiFi or ethernet, nVIDIA GPUs, AMD GPUs, Intel GPUs and not much more. It's in only these cases where I go for the Intel, AMD or nVIDIA page to install drivers. For everything else, I stay with the manufacturer's old drivers.

"But... if you don't want to try a simple test which is testing the MSI driver (customized for your system specially if it also has a 2nd GPU, therefore, customization is more important...), then it is ok, you are free to do so..."

You missed the part where I said, in the very first message, than the previous Intel driver, same "generic" one, does not have this error. I just wanted to make sure this is happening to all users with an Iris Xe using latest Intel drivers.

"If I go to Device Manager and "update" the iGPU driver, to one that is obviously a previous version of what I had (I believe it was the 1069 driver), the tests work all fine, no error, all fine"

I might have to directly ask if any users with Iris Xe and latest Intel drivers (30.0.101.1191 (12/14/2021)) is experiencing this as well, at least in Passmark, because everything else is working just fine (may be because dX10 is never used?).

0 Kudos
rambomhtri
New Contributor II

As I was expecting, it was just the drivers.

After updating to the newest 30.0.101.1340, my Iris Xe GPU is working, not only fantastic and now the problem is gone, but it's performing better than with the previous drivers from December. Overall, the GPU benchmarks are 8% better than before, repeated several times and consistently giving that extra 8%.

0 Kudos