Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel iGPU thinks my monitor is a TV now.

waffleRL
Beginner

I know there's a feature on the nvidia control panel when using HDMI to switch from TV resolutions to PC (with higher refresh rates), is there a way to do that but using intel? My monitor automatically used the PC resolutions when plugging it in for the first time. After 2 months of happily using 144Hz I had to travel somewhere and connected a big tv to my laptop for a presentation. Now back home I plug the monitor back in and the option for 144hz is gone, only 120,60 and 50 are available and I'm suspecting it's because it doesn't think it's a monitor anymore. I have installed it's drivers and everything. Still don't see it. I think that's all I have to do to fix it but I can't find it anywhere.

My friend bought a very similar monitor to mine and that was his issue as well, but his HDMI was connected to an nvidia card so he could use the control panel to switch it to PC 1080 x 1920 and 144hz was there.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_Intel

Hello waffleRL,

Please provide the following information:

• What specific resolutions have you tried with the refresh rate?
  • Have you tested a different high-speed cable? With no adapters/converters (straight connection).
  • Could you provide screenshots of the refresh rate options in both Intel® Graphics Command Center and Windows settings?

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

Did you install the monitor driver? how does it appear on device manager?

usually, when you install monitor drivers, it then appears on device manager with a descriptive name, for example: AUS VZ249HE (Asus monitor)...

did you try changing from windows advanced display settings?

0 Kudos
waffleRL
Beginner

Thanks for replying. It appears properly, the driver is installed and working (though it's a bit dated, there's only one for my device and it's from 2019). The resolutions  used to be there but I don't see them at all now. I think it could be the cable's fault (I've been using it for over a year now plugging in and out everyday) but I want to try every possible fix before having to spend money.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello waffleRL,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues with your Intel graphics. I will be glad to assist you.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following information:

• What is the model of your Intel processor or Intel Graphics?
  • Are you able to set the desired refresh rate using the Intel Graphics Command Center?

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
waffleRL
Beginner

The processor is an i5 11400H with the UHD 630 iGPU. It does let me change the refresh rate though only between 50 60 and 120 Hz which is odd because it used to include 144  and more before

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

Please perform the following steps:

Clean installation instructions: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
waffleRL
Beginner

Yes, the clean installation option doesn't work, I think I will have to use DDU for it to completely remove it and then install. I got the laptop as a DOS version, so no OS or drivers installed, and after Installing the old drivers reccomended to me by the laptop manufacturer everything was OK. I want it to return to that state basically, no drivers installed and then install the good ones. That might fix it. Attached both reports. My internet is experiencing outages at the moment so I can't download the old ones and I'm having a hard time opening any webpage, that's why It took me so long to reply.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

As soon as it is possible for you, please try a clean installation but this time with the latest driver version (30.0.100.9864) recommended by MSI (https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GF63-Thin-11UX/support?sub_product=GF63-Thin-11UD#driver) and let me know if the issue persists. This may help us to isolate the issue.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
waffleRL
Beginner

Yes, I did perform a clean install with both the old drivers that used to work  and the new ones reccomended by msi. All it's done is now I can uncheck the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" Which I did, all it added was the interlaced resolutions, 144Hz is still not present. I looked for it on both of the drivers cleanly installed.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response, waffleRL.

I am going to work on this issue. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello waffleRL,

Please provide the following information:

• What specific resolutions have you tried with the refresh rate?
  • Have you tested a different high-speed cable? With no adapters/converters (straight connection).
  • Could you provide screenshots of the refresh rate options in both Intel® Graphics Command Center and Windows settings?

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
waffleRL
Beginner

Yeah it was the cable being damaged, bought a new one and it just worked, thanks for helping!

0 Kudos