Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Intel quick sync on Windows server 2019

sdeku
Beginner

HP EliteDesk 800 G2 TWR - Core i5-6500 with Intel graphics 530 running latest version 26.20.100.7985 from 3/20/20

Folks - How do I know if Intel quick sync is enabled and working on my Windows server 2019 server? I have read some threads and am confused as they state I should have a secondary monitor show up but I only see my Acer 23-inch monitor in display settings. Is there any other utility that van verify if my quick sync is enabled?

Thank you

0 Kudos
18 Replies
sdeku
Beginner

Anybody?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello sdeku,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

To better assist you, please provide us with the following information:

• Is the application you are using Intel® Quick Sync Video-enabled?
  • What is the application you are using?
  • Is this application supported on Windows* Server 2019?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
sdeku
Beginner

It's Blue Iris and intel quick sync is enabled and this app is supported on server 2019

Thanks

0 Kudos
sdeku
Beginner

How do I proceed to troubleshoot this? Do you possibly have a test utility I can install and see if it uses quick sync correctly? I'd like to confirm if the BIOS and windows are allowing quick sync to work

Thanks

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello sdeku,

Thank you for your response.

First, we would like to confirm that your processor supports Intel® Quick Sync Video. Go to https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html > Intel® Core™ i5-6500 Processor > under Processor Graphics > Intel® Quick Sync Video > Yes.

Now, to check if Intel® Quick Sync Video is enabled and working, you might need to optimize this software first. You might need to contact the software developers or forums to obtain step-by-step instructions on how to optimize this software. However, there are a few steps we can take to have more information about this.

• Go to your Blue Iris Options -> Cameras -> Hardware Accelerated decode parameter. Are you able to choose Intel? Please attach a picture.
  • Go to the Task Manager > Performance tab > GPU. Is your computer reporting Video decode usage? Please attach a picture

• Are you able to run the DxDiag*?
  1. Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R.
  2. On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK.
  3. On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information.
  4. Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
sdeku
Beginner

Yes. It's selected in BI - btw, I'm curious how you know about BI so well; do you run BI at home too?

Also Intel website's does show it supports quick sync and I verified this before purchasing the computer too - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/88184/intel-core-i5-6500-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html

Attached both files

0 Kudos
sdeku
Beginner

Somwhoe the screenshot didn't come through so re-attaching

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello sdeku,

I personally do not use this software. Sometimes Intel Customer Support may attempt to reproduce an issue or specific behavior with applications that support Intel® Quick Sync Video.

The picture shows that Intel® Quick Sync Video is enabled. This technology is actually enabled by default.

Were you able to check the Video decode usage in Task Manager? This could let you know if the onboard graphics is reporting Video Decode activity. 

Regarding your question about a utility to check the Intel® Quick Sync Video activity, what we can recommend is that you check this with the software vendor.

Now, we would like to know if you are experiencing any issues while using Blue Iris.

If you are experiencing issues, please let us know how you are using this software.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
sdeku
Beginner

where in the task manager should I check video decode usage

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello sdeku,

Go to the Task Manager > Performance tab > GPU > Video decode usage.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
sdeku
Beginner
BI is running in service mode in the background and GPU shows 0 or 1%. When I open the console to view a live feed from a camera, GPU 3D jumps to 10 or 11% but Video decode and other graphs stay at 0%. What does that mean? Thanks
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello sdeku,

Are you able to attach a picture of the Task Manager showing this information?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
sdeku
Beginner
see below for image [image: image.png]
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello sdeku,

Please find below some useful information about Intel® Quick Sync Video:

Intel® Quick Sync Video will not generate or present itself as a secondary display or monitor. It is just the capability of the GPU to encode and decode specific video formats rather than putting that work on the processor.

Most cameras have their own Encoder, and it may not rely entirely on Intel® graphics through Intel® Quick Sync Video for video recording. The results the Task Manager is showing are for Decoding, which is not the same.

Follow these recommendations to make sure Intel® Quick Sync Video is working:

Test Decoding capabilities: Try playback of a video file (h.264, h.265 or VP9 if its Youtube*) by using Movies & TV app or similar software that supports Intel® Quick Sync Video and check GPU performance in Task Manager. It should increase while keeping processor performance low.

For encoding, you could launch an encoding app that does not rely on cameras, to eliminate the variable of a camera using its own encoder, and try encoding a video to h.265. For example, Handbrake.

Finally, it is worth mentioning that the latest generic drivers for your Intel® Integrated Graphics are only compatible with Windows* 10. We do not support it on Windows* Server OSs. For this reason, if there is an issue, we can only validate and work on it if it happens on Windows* 10.

Wanner G.

sdeku
Beginner
I did these two things 1) Played a sample youtube vp9 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kb8s0P9D4I and again, the GPU/3D chart shows 15-20% but Video encode and other charts stay at 0% 2) Used handbrake and opened a large video file, hit Encode and 3D chart goes to 5-7% but other charts stay at 0% With the above data, is it safe to assume that GPU is just not working on this computer or does the 3D chart jumping show it's working? What's the difference between these two charts? I do understand your drivers are meant for W10 but W2019 is based on W10 Thx
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello sdeku,

• We are still unable to see the picture. Could you please attach the picture and/or a short video directly to the thread?

• Also, could you please try to run several instances/videos at the same time to see if the OS shows some activity? 

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello sdeku,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello sdeku,

What we can also recommend is that you contact your computer vendor to make sure BIOS is up to date along with the OS.

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos