Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21062 Discussions

Intel uhd 620 graphics brutal flickering

parlevjo
Beginner
My hp elitebook 850 laptop screen starts flickering when I install the Intel Driver for it. A couple of weeks ago I installed the latest Driver and it looked like the problem was finally gone. But after two weeks it started flickering again and now in such a way you cannot work with it. With the previous Drivers that was also the problem. I have done a clean install but that doesn't help. A install and re install also does not help. The laptop is now on Windows 11. When it was on Windows 10 I only had the flickering problem when starting a movie and only in the beginning of the movie
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @parlevjo  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear that you have dealing with this since before, I will do my best to assist you here. 

What is the full laptop model?  

Please check the steps recommended for this issue: How to Fix a Flickering Screen with Intel® Graphics 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
parlevjo
Beginner
Hi @Jocelyn_Intel
The Full laptop model is "HP EliteBook 850 G5" Thx for the link. A lot of them I already have tried. The others I will do when my daughter comes home with the laptop
0 Kudos
parlevjo
Beginner

Hi @Jocelyn_Intel

I have done everything in How to Fix a Flickering Screen with Intel® Graphics

But it does not help.

The service "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" does not exist in windows 11.

Then I tried to remove the UHD 620 driver completely with Display Driver Uninstaller" and use the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

But it keeps automatic installing the UHD 620 driver.

Because i was left with unknown items in devmgmt.msc I have now reinstalled windows 11 completely. Same problem.

I have a partial work around to use the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

I have made a configuration in gpedit.msc to exclude the hardware id (PCI\VEN_8086) of this graphic card for installation of drivers. See Prevent Windows 10 from installing/updating a specific driver? - Super User. If you do this at the moment you have the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" installed it will not install the intel driver.

This works so good that after you uninstall the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" it will not install a driver for the graphics card at all. 🙂

The screen does of course not flicker in the BIOS. Why should it. It only flickers if I have the intel driver installed.

With the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" it does not flicker at all.

This is however only a partial solution as my daughter always has the screen brightness low and with the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" you cannot alter the brightness of the screen.

Also will it maybe have problems for graphics programs she is using.

See attachment for the flickering.

0 Kudos
parlevjo
Beginner

The system is by the way using the driver of the manufacturer of the laptop (HP)

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @parlevjo  

Thank you for the information provided. 

In that case, please try the following steps in case you haven't until now when you have the laptop and check out the notes below: 

Note #1: Make sure to check you have all the Windows updates before doing the driver installation. Also, make sure to do this step disconnected from the internet (wi-fi or wired connection) since Microsoft updates drivers automatically and prevents doing the clean installation successfully. 

Note #2: Since this is a laptop, we recommend checking with your System Manufacturer and using the driver software provided by them to avoid potential installation incompatibilities. Intel supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. 

Note #3: In case you had to use the Intel driver, please find the instructions on how to install the driver in this article: How to Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 & Windows 11*

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @parlevjo  

Thank you for the information provided. 

Just to confirm, did you follow the Clean installation process?  

Please follow this process using the Device Manager, not DDU and make sure to do this step disconnected from the internet (wi-fi or wired connection) since Microsoft updates drivers automatically and prevents doing the clean installation successfully. 

1. Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows. 
  2. Go back to the Intel Graphics entry in the Device Manager. 
  3. Right-click Intel Graphics and click Uninstall. 
  4. In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK. Note: You have to do this until the driver completely the option Delete the driver is greyed out or not visible. 
  5. Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete. 
  6. Open the Device Manager. 
  7. Expand the Display adapters section again. 
  8. If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in Device Manager should now be listed as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, Standard VGA Graphics Adapter or similar. 
  9. Then, install the graphics driver provided by the System Manufacturer. If it doesn't work, repeat these steps and then use the latest Intel graphics driver

Please let me know the results, if the issue persists, please attach an Intel SSU report to investigate further this issue:

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
parlevjo
Beginner

Hi @Jocelyn_Intel 

I have done the instructions

1. Uninstall the drivers with internet off. After each time rebooot and select the device and choose "update driver" untill it did not find anything and last reboot
  2. Installed: "sp147819 Intel Management Engine Driver.exe" and "sp147252 Intel Video Driver and Control Panel.exe"
  3. Still screen flickering
  4. Started again. with 1)
  5. Turned Wifi on and started "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" and downloaded gfx_win_101.2115.exe from Intel® 6th-10th Gen Processor Graphics - Windows 
  6. Started again with 1) as windows update installed a new driver.
  7. Installed gfx_win_101.2115.exe
  8. Still screen flickering
  9. Windows update found newer version 31.0.101.2121. Installed that one
  10. At the moment no screen flickering but I am confident it will start again. Sometimes it takes 2 weeks before it started flickering
  11. If it will flicker again I will start from 1) and install gfx_win_101.2125.exe from Intel® 7th-10th Gen Processor Graphics - Windows*
  12. Ssu report uploaded

Best regards

Johan Parlevliet

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @parlevjo  

Thank you for your reply and confirmation on this. 

Let me investigate more about this. I will let you know if there are updates or recommendations as soon as I have them. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
parlevjo
Beginner

Hi @Jocelyn_Intel 

I have done the following

1. The screen started flickering after my previous actions
  2. Uninstall the drivers with internet off. After each time rebooot and select the device and choose "update driver" untill it did not find anything and last reboot
  3. Install gfx_win_101.2125.exe from Intel® 7th-10th Gen Processor Graphics - Windows*
  4. Ssu report uploaded
  5. Waiting for screen to flicker

Rgds Johan

0 Kudos
parlevjo
Beginner

Hi @Jocelyn_Intel 

The screen started flickering again.

I think there must be a bug in the intel software. If you search on intel "hd 620" flickering  or intel "uhd 620" flickering you get so many results.

Can the product team of the driver solve this please

Rgds Johan Parlevliet

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @parlevjo  

Thank you for your time. 

We understand your discomfort about this issue, however, as we have done all the Troubleshooting possible, we recommend you contact your System Manufacturer for further assistance with this flickering issue, as it does not seem to be driver-related.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
parlevjo
Beginner

Re: as it does not seem to be driver-related.  

What a strange conclusion. I work in the IT and my conclusion is the other way around.

As soon as I use the Intel driver the screen starts flickering, If that happens as soon as I use the windows basic driver the flickering is gone and I have a beautifull screen

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @parlevjo  

Thank you for your time. 

We understand your point of view and discomfort about this, however,  we have done all the Troubleshooting possible from our end.  

Our recommendation is to contact your System Manufacturer for further assistance with this flickering problem, it does not seem to be driver-related.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @parlevjo    

I hope you are doing great. 

As we have not heard back from you, we will proceed to close this thread now. 

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us back and submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos