Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

Iris Xe - Carbon X1 9th Gen - Latest Windows 10 drivers causes external displays to constantly CTD

chan1011
Beginner

System: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9

CPU: i7-1165G7 (11th Gen)

Dock: Lenovo Hybrid USB-C Dock

Display: Asus XG438 @ 3840x2160 60Hz via HDMI to Dock

ISSUE: I received the laptop on July 2021, the out of the box drivers causes the external and laptop displays connected to constantly CTD/freeze/TDR/hang.  I've even tried doing full "Reset my PC" and that did not help.

Default Windows 10 Driver:

PASS - HDMI connected directly to laptop

FAIL - HDMI connected to Dock

RESOLUTION: The older driver build 27.20.100.9749 found on the Lenovo site seems to work without issues.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello chan1011,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I would like to share some Intel recommendations:

1. If using a laptop, always use the drivers from the laptop manufacturer first. In this case Lenovo.

2. Always use a straight connection, adapters may cause unexpected issues. Remember that Intel does not support adapters.

3. Check with the manufacturer if the adapter is compatible with the laptop. Even if the graphics are from Intel, Lenovo can place some restrictions and limitations on their products.

My advice is to check with Lenovo to confirm if the "docking station" that you are using is compatible or supported on their latest drivers. For the moment try to roll back to the driver version 27.20.100.9749 since it seems to work properly, maybe the latest drivers from Intel are not compatible with the system.

Best regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
chan1011
Beginner

My issue is that Windows seems to auto-push the newest WDDM driver and when that happens the system goes fubar 😞

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello chan1011, 

In this case, you may need to stop Windows from updating automatically your system. You may find some steps to block Windows from updating your system:

- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

However, my recommendation would be to check with Microsoft and/or Lenovo for further instructions.

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos