Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20708 Discussions

Irregular fanspeed after GPU update .4644 on Acer Bifrost Predator A770

AP6
Novice

Hi

After updating to the latest videodriver, it was not informed that a vbios was included in the update looking at the release notes.

After the 4644 update, the fan started an unusual behavior at idle, it starts to ramp up to around 40% then go down to 0% at idle (0RPM - 2000RPM circa), looping. During game it acts normal or fixing the fanspeed, it acts normal.

I have done following to TRY revert the problem with no success;
DDU first, 3 times in safemode
reverted back to .4578 (when everything was OK)
Updated BIOS
Windows Updated
Updated AMD chipset
Reinstalled Arc
Reinstalled windows
In safemode, fan behaviour is still the same, so that confirms Vbios problem.
In Acers Predator software, over 50% to 100% will make the fan "stabilize", below 40% will bring this 0RPM-2000RPM behaviour

I cannot see any fancurve option in Arc control for some reason. It's dissappeared. Thereof using the Acer software to control fanspeed.

General PC info:
MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI (MS-7C92) BIOS 1.E0
Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64 bit) Version (Build) 22H2 (10.0.19045)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics
Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics Version31.0.101.4644
RAM 16GB

Thank you

/AP6

Labels (1)
14 Replies
AP6
Novice

Any updates on this issue?

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello  AP6,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. I see that you are having irregular speed issues with your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics after updating the driver to version 4644, I understand how annoying this can be, I will be happy to help you.  

To have a better understanding of the situation, please answer the following questions:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
AP6
Novice

Hello Andres!

Thank you for your reply!

@Andres_Intel wrote:

Hello  AP6,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. I see that you are having irregular speed issues with your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics after updating the driver to version 4644, I understand how annoying this can be, I will be happy to help you.  

To have a better understanding of the situation, please answer the following questions:

• I see on the screenshot that you shared, the temperature is 41°C, what is the maximum temperature you have seen when the graphics card is idle?

I am not certain what the idle maximum temprature it's been on. I'm guessing around 30-45c depending on what summer day it is.

• When you reverted the graphics driver to version 4578, did the issue disappear?

The issue did NOT disappear as my suspicion is the update (.4644) reflashed the VBIOS with different firmware.

It is attached to this post.

Thank you!

/AP6

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello AP6,

Thank you for your response, all the information provided has been really helpful.

I will start with an investigation of the issue and as soon I have further information I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello AP6,

Thank you for your wait time.

I have been working on the investigation, Intel is taking this report seriously, and it is working together with Acer to get a solution as soon as possible.

Once we have an update we'll let you know.

Regards,

Andres P.

AP6
Novice

Andres

Thank you for your reply.

I am very satisfied that you are taking the matter seriously to resolve the issue and have brought it to attention to the people responsible for developing the firmware!

I'll be looking foward for a solution as soon as possible.

/AP6

0 Kudos
Felipe_Intel
Employee

Hello AP6

Intel is aware of a fan speed issue impacting some users. We are working to release an updated Intel® Arc™ Graphics driver that resolves the issue this month.

0 Kudos
tron03
Beginner

Hi,

same issue here! I have a Acer Intel Arc A770 Bifrost.

After Update 4644 including Firmware the Fan goes Up and Down 0>40%>0%>40% and so on.

I have changed the Card with an nVidia 3070 because a have to work...

I try to change the fan settings with ARC Control. If i set the curve to 33% the Problem is gone.

But 33% all the Time is to noisy and i think not good for the GPU.

I have installed different older AND newer Drivers - NOTHING helps.

I hope we get an Update soon as possible.

Best Regards

Robert 

0 Kudos
Swiip
Beginner

I have the same problem, and tested some stuff:

all setting in ARK controlecenter

Full speed: 3650 rpm

50%            2100 rpm

30%            1500 rpm

Due to this numbers, there seems to be something wrong.

30% is the lowest possible setting, and sometimes it shuts down the fan completely.

I think someone tuned the PID-controller wrong, or uses the same rpm setting for both of the 2 fans (and not a percentage of the actual max. speed, as the 2 fans are different).

Setting the fan speed to 33% stops the cycling of the fan, but is quite loud.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Felipe_Intel
Employee

Hello AP6, 

New driver 31.0.101.4824 was released, which includes a fix for the fan issue. Please visit our download center  and download and install this driver and let us know the results.

0 Kudos
Swiip
Beginner

Hi

The new update 31.0.101.4824 fixed the automatic fan mode somewhat, but still has an oszillation from 1133 to 1300 rpm when idle.

Setting it to the minimum 30% fixed, sets it to 1400 rpm with low idle diviation which is a nice improvement.

GPU temperature ist still only at 41°C in my setup at fixed 30%, is there any valid reason why i can not set the controle speed to lower than 30%?
Or is there any workaround for this, as the automated setting can set it to 1150 rpm is for sure possible in hardware to do so.

Thanks a lot for this upgrade, it removed the most annoying aspect of my A770 bifrost.

If you can upgrade the software to allow for setting 20% on the fans, that would be great.

0 Kudos
AP6
Novice

Felipe

As you guys were working with Acer for a fix, Acer wanted my card as a RMA claim for them to investigate it further. Once I got the card back they've kept my old one and given me a new one, so I cannot confirm if the update has fixed it or not. Please refer to the other forum members in this thread if they think it got fixed or not and help them out..

AP6

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just a few comments,

1. Oscillation between 1133 and 1300 RPM is the result of a very small change in the PWM duty cycle that is being sent to the fan. This means that the underlying temperatures are stable but slightly variable. 
  2. I haven't seen a PWM fan that cannot sustain 25%. I wouldn't go lower than that, however, as chatter may result if the fan is struggling to keep spinning. That said, I cheat a lot and use 20% as my minimum duty cycle.

...S

0 Kudos
Swiip
Beginner

Hi

This behavior of cycling ( which is now not anymore in the auto setting, but still there when using custom setting), together with the 1133-1300 rpm oscillation make me think it's  a v-bios PID controller problem.

There may be some Integral windup/down problems, this could to my knowledge be fixed by disabling the integral part at low rpm/temps.

Current experimental settings of 28% to 100% lets the card have 1010-1065 rpm over a nice and quiet 24 seconds, bevor shutting down to 0 and restarting immediately. ( so 1000 rpm sould be possible to be set as a fixed speed, which is around 25%)

Swiip_0-1694775967861.png( please also add temperature steps to this graph)

This state of settings and results does not make any sense, and i think it only works because the internal PID controller is so slow.

Basicy its using a PWM to switch the whole PID controllers input on and off.

Would be nice if the driver team could fix the PID controller, or give acces to lower fixed fanspeeds than 30%.

Thanks,

0 Kudos