Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Issue with dimming on 27.20 UHD driver

Krupers
Beginner

Hello,
My dear friends, I am having an issue with newer WHQL 27.20 driver.

I talked with Dell Support two weeks ago, and they told me not to install 27.20.100.8935 driver and stay on an older version. I did it, but today I got it through Windows Update and cannot turn it back (Windows automatically installs it again, because it is approved).

Problem is with smooth dimming - on an old version 26.20.100.7985 I have no issue, the dimming slider on Windows (as well as my automatically dimming when I am far from my PC) is working perfectly smooth - screen dimming is "fluent". On a newer version, it is... "stepping" and do not know what to do.

Can someone help me with this problem?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello Krupers

Thank you for posting on the Intel‌‌® communities. 

We need more information from the system to identify a possible common issue with the driver. I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile requesting some reports that may contain sensitive information. 

Regards, 

David G.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

Krupers
Beginner

Hello David,
thank you for your reply - I got your email and already answered!

All my best,
Artur.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Krupers

We received the information and we're investigating this request. I'll keep you updated.

Regards, 

David G 

David_G_Intel

Hello Krupers

Thank you for your patience.

I will list some of the information provided via email for the community:

• You're using an Alienware M15 R3 laptop.
  • The drivers are downloaded directly via Dell Support Assist software.
  • Using Dell's drivers;
    • Version 26.20.100.7985 doesn't give you any problems.
    • Version 27.20.100.8935 is where the dimming problem starts.
  • The dimming problem is related to Tobii Eye Tracking when you're not looking at the screen.

With the information and reports provided, we determined that the hybrid graphics could be the cause of this problem. As a last step, you can try a clean installation of the latest generic driver, version 27.20.100.9168:

On that same link, you can find different generic driver versions for testing. Please have in mind that Intel recommends that end-users use driver updates provided by their system manufacturer/provider to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. System manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design.

If the generic drivers don't make any change, we recommend that you check this issue directly with the laptop manufacturer.

Regards, 

David G.

0 Kudos