Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Issue with resolution changing

Mirso
Beginner

Hi,

I have since few week the Intel Arc A770 16GB graphic card installed.

But i notice that when i change the display from current 1440p to 1080p and than go back to my main display with 1440p, the graphic card doesn't understand the new available resolution and instead of switching back to 1440p is stands by max 1080p settings.

With change display i mean the real change not the settings, use different display with full hd maximum resolution.

I can reproduce this also with other technique, i don't need to change the display.

Use some older game with lower resolution, and close the game, the resolution stands on 1080p.

This doesn't occur always, sometimes only, but its a hard work to get the sported resolution, in my case.

In World of Warcraft the FPS drops down to 40 FPS, depends on the area i currently am.

In Crysis is the FPS drop even worse FPS max 20.

All settings are on max.

But good think is that the card never gets warm, is always under 70°.

Any idea how to solve this with the resolution change?

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello Mirso,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ Arc communities.

We understand the issue that you are experiencing with your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics (16GB), and we will try our best to provide you with a solution for this issue.

To start we would like to gather the following pieces of information:

• Did the issue start as soon as you installed your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics (16GB)?

• Do you have the resizable bar feature enabled? in case you are not familiar with this feature please refer to the following article:

• What Is Resizable BAR and How Do I Enable It?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000090831/graphics.html

• What is the output and type of cable that you are using at the moment?

• Are you using any adapters or converters?

•  Download and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* make sure to check the box "Everything"

and save the resulting .txt file you can attach it to your reply.

Link for Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mirso
Beginner

Hi Robert,

thank you for support me with this, by installing the Intel Arc A770 was no issues, the card was instantly recognized and the driver are installed, so no issues with this part.

Questions:

• Did the issue start as soon as you installed your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics (16GB)?

Answer:

No, first time installed graphic was all ok, no issues, all works as expected.

• Do you have the resizable bar feature enabled? in case you are not familiar with this feature please refer to the following article:

Answer:

Yes, resizable bar feature is enabled.

Note: This issue doesnt happen always, is somehow random accident.

Possible important information: because of my work i share my display, keyboard and mouse between 2 PC's: first one is my private gaming PC and the second one is my business PC, 

to do that i have KVM Switch from ATEN PETITE CS692 2-Port USB, HDMI KVM Switch connected to share this in/output hardware: display keyboard and mouse.

Maybe was the KVM Switch reason for my issues?

Now for testing purpose i unplugged the KVM Switch and have the display directly connected to graphic card, i will write you a update  here about the result of my current test with direct connection between the display and the card. 

Used Cable: Standard HDMI cable used to connect the Monitor (Display) to graphic card.

A log file is attached to this message as suggested.

But the best solution for me would be if i can continue to use KVM Switch its little bit easier to share the hardware with w PC's.

With best Regards

Mirso

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello Mirso,

Thank you for posting your reply and all the details and information, 

While you finish your testing we will be checking the issue internally and reviewing possible recommendations for you.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello Mirso,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

• Please let us know if you were able to complete the testing with the direct connection to the card?

In case you have any updates please share them with us.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
Mirso
Beginner

Hello Robert,

yes i did testing with the card direct connected to the display, and some new situation i have noticed.

But here more information about testing.

The issue didn happen anymore after i update my Windows to 22H2 (Build 19045.2486). So with this updated no issues are occur anymore, regardless how the display is connected to the graphic card.

I try it several times with changing the display like in my first posting, replaced my main display with 1440p to 1080p and back to 1440p display. All works fine. This test was made with the KVM Switch between the card and display,

and also no issues when the card is directly connected to the display.

One part still present, the hard blinking and some visible artifacts are on the screen while the display is blinking.

This happens in this case, lets say test case:

My setting for this:

- Use the KVM HDMI Switch between graphic card and display

- Set screensaver timeout to 2min.

- Set display energy timeout for off to 5min.

- All other energie settings are on max (need full power of cpu because this is dev and gaming pc)

See attachment for settings, text is in german but pretty self explained

- Do nothing anymore until the display goes off, now when i want to continue to work and for example i move my mouse or i press some key on keyboard the monitor wake up but than i have this issue with blinking and pixel artifact's on the screen.

If i let the system with display off for longer time than is better to reproduce, because if i use the keyboard quick after the display goes off i could not reproduce this, only if there is for longer time no input to system.

After a while, max 2 min, this blinking stops and i can continue with my task.

INFO: This issue i could not reproduce when the card is directly connected to the display, only if the KVM HDMI Switch is in between the hardware. But the test was only 2 days short because i need the switch :(, i will test it directly connected this full week and i would update you at end of testing if this is ok.

Best regards

Mirso

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello Mirso,

Thank you for posting this update, we appreciate it, and we are glad that most of the issues seem to have been resolved after the update, however as there are still some issues/flickering and you were able to reproduce this issue, we will perform more research with the information we have at hand.

If you are able to perform further testing please share the results with us, we will get back to you as soon as we have an update.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
Mirso
Beginner

Hello Robert,

i have new information from the ticket i mention, now i testing the issue whole week and the issue happens again without KVM HDMI Switch.

I playing the Windows Mahjong game, i provide this time how the missing resolution value in the settings look like.

Pay attention to the first jpg there is the default setting set to 2560x1440 pixels, but when the error occur, the heighest setting is

1920x1080 pixels, the 2560x1440 is not in the list any more, so the only way to get back the max setting is to unplug the HDMI cable from the display and plug in again back.

In the attached files are the diff to see, when this happens the screen icons are very big.

Thanks for help with this issue.

Best regards

Mirso

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Mirso,

We appreciate your response and patience.

This time I would like to recommend completing a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers installing 31.0.101.4034 since doing a clean install of the software/drivers for any hardware can help to fix specific issues that can be associated so any additional software that might be causing malfunction. We understand that you already installed this driver; however, sometimes corrupted files from previous installations of drivers can linger on a system which can cause driver updates to not work as expected.

Also, I would like to request more information about the issue you are experiencing:

• When you mentioned that you are not using KVM Switch, does it mean that you are using a straight connection between the monitor and the graphics card, HDMI to HDMI?
  • Your processor has an integrated GPU, could you try disabling the Intel® Arc™ graphics card and check if the persists when only using the IGPU?
  • Have you tried different HDMI cables? Did you test using another video output, for example, DP?
  • Are there any specific steps that trigger the issue?

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Mirso,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Mirso
Beginner

Hello Jean,

i did the steps like in previous post, so i remove all older existing drivers, there was also older stuff from nVidia which was my previous graphic and did a clean install of latest intel graphic drivers, result at end.

Answer to you questions:

1)  Yes i connect the graphic directly to the display

2)  Yes my CPU (Intel i9 10900k) has an integrated graphic, before my Intel ARC A770, 16GB was delivered i worked with this integrated graphic unit and i had never this issues, i worked for about 3 weeks without any issues

3)  Never trying another cable or connection like DP

4) There are no specific steps to reproduce, nothing what can be helpful to improve product etc. its just happen randomly when using games like Zuma or Microsoft Mahjong for about 30min or longer this is for the issue with the resolution settings like in attachment, and the screen artifacts was when switching between my PC with the switch or when the System comes from idle status back.

Now after i did complete clean installation of the driver, that means complete removing from the system the ARC graphic from system old drivers etc. i reinstall like in your post suggested all newest drivers and since them i had no issues with graphic, not when using this games or when using with my switch, this test goes over an week.

If this stay the next days without issues i would say that the clean re-installation of the drivers was the solution in my case.

Reinstalling was the best suggestion to try.

Thank you very much for your support

Best Regards

Mirso

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Mirso,

We're glad to know the information helped. Hopefully, it will help other community members. Since the thread is now solved, we will close it. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos