Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20711 Discussions

Issues playing videos on HD520 / Falls Creator Update with Latest drivers

CRgt
Beginner

Hello,

I have an issue with the last intel HD graphics driver updates. I'm using the latest one from november 7 and i'm having issues with videos, all is explained below.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Hardware decoded videos stop working/won't play after the computer goes once in sleep mode on microsoft edge / IE / stock windows "movies app". It still works on chrome / vlc.

Office 2016 also crash on start.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): x

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Asus UX303UA i3 6100u

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Intel HD 520, no other gpu

<span style="font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 10pt...

0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, corentin_.

We have performed some test at our labs, allow me to share with you the results:

First, we used an https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ZA/content/predator-model/NX.Q07EA.001 Acer Predator 15 G9-591-70VM [HD Graphics 530 + Nvidia GTX 970M], Windows 10 64-bit RS3, these were the steps taken:

1. Open a sample video (h.264) on Movies and TV app.

2. During play, paused the video.

3. Closed the laptop lid so it goes to sleep.

4. Waited 10 minutes.

5. Opened the laptop lid, let the system resume.

6. I was able to resume video playback.

Same steps were done as well except replaced the h.264 local file and instead played a youtube video using Edge browser.

As well, same steps were performed using the Intel® https://ark.intel.com/products/89190/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i5SYH?q=NUC6i5SYH NUC6i5SYH, Windows 10 64-bit RS3 instead of closing the lid I had to manually send the system to sleep using the Start option, same results.

Let's try reinstalling the latest Intel® HD Graphics. Please download the 4944 version of the graphics drivers by clicking https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27484/a08/win64_15.65.4.4944.zip here and follow these steps in order to achieve the installation of them:1. Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.

2. Expand "Display Adapter", right-click the Intel Graphics entry, and click Uninstall.

3. On Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the Intel HD Graphics driver then click OK to start the uninstall process.

4. When the uninstall process is complete, disconnect your computer from the internet and make sure it will not auto connect when reboot. Restart your system.

5. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

6. Open Device Manager

7. Expand the Display adapters section.

8. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software. (Note: The graphics entry may be "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" if not, please repeat the first 4 steps until you see this on the Display adapter entry.)

9. Click Browse my computer for driver software.

10. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are found.

11. Click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

12. Reboot your computer when prompted.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, corentin_.

We have performed some test at our labs, allow me to share with you the results:

First, we used an https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ZA/content/predator-model/NX.Q07EA.001 Acer Predator 15 G9-591-70VM [HD Graphics 530 + Nvidia GTX 970M], Windows 10 64-bit RS3, these were the steps taken:

1. Open a sample video (h.264) on Movies and TV app.

2. During play, paused the video.

3. Closed the laptop lid so it goes to sleep.

4. Waited 10 minutes.

5. Opened the laptop lid, let the system resume.

6. I was able to resume video playback.

Same steps were done as well except replaced the h.264 local file and instead played a youtube video using Edge browser.

As well, same steps were performed using the Intel® https://ark.intel.com/products/89190/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i5SYH?q=NUC6i5SYH NUC6i5SYH, Windows 10 64-bit RS3 instead of closing the lid I had to manually send the system to sleep using the Start option, same results.

Let's try reinstalling the latest Intel® HD Graphics. Please download the 4944 version of the graphics drivers by clicking https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27484/a08/win64_15.65.4.4944.zip here and follow these steps in order to achieve the installation of them:1. Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.

2. Expand "Display Adapter", right-click the Intel Graphics entry, and click Uninstall.

3. On Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the Intel HD Graphics driver then click OK to start the uninstall process.

4. When the uninstall process is complete, disconnect your computer from the internet and make sure it will not auto connect when reboot. Restart your system.

5. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

6. Open Device Manager

7. Expand the Display adapters section.

8. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software. (Note: The graphics entry may be "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" if not, please repeat the first 4 steps until you see this on the Display adapter entry.)

9. Click Browse my computer for driver software.

10. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are found.

11. Click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

12. Reboot your computer when prompted.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, corentin_.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached to the post above and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

Hello,

Sorry for not coming back to you earlier !

So I did yet another clean install of windows 10. I did what you suggested me, I also set a group policy setting to stop windows for updating drivers without my consent. I can confirm this time that it works, after like 3 days of uptime it still works ! Thanks for taking your time to help me ! And since then I installed just chrome, office and it still works.

So I think somehow windows updates my drivers with a buggy one ? Or either one of the few of programs I installed the previous time I did a clean install causes a bug (I had only installed batterybar, intel power gadget and.. that's all i think)

I rolled back to 4901 since brightness keys don't work on 4944 but apart from that everything is fine ! I'm glad to have a working laptop, and it's not a hardware issue so i'm relieved.

0 Kudos