Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Laptop HDMI 2.1 and Mini DisplayPort 1.4 ports use dGPU or iGPU?

G-S
Beginner

For below hardware based laptop -

• Intel Mobile WM590 motherboard
  • 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11950H, 24MB Cache, 8 Cores, 2.60GHz to 5.00GHz, 45W, vPro
  • NVIDIA RTX A5000, 16GB, GDDR6
  • HDMI 2.1 port, Mini DisplayPort 1.4, and USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C Thunderbolt

My questions are -

1. Whether these HDMI 2.1, Mini DisplayPort 1.4, and USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C Thunderbolt ports on laptop will use dGPU (A5000) or iGPU?
  2. I want to use it with VR headsets like Oculus and not sure if these will work if HDMI is connected to iGPU instead of dGPU?
  3. Does laptop's A5000 GPU support HDMI port at all (I couldn't find HDMI in specs, only display ports) and are these laptop HDMIs connected to dGPU? How does this work?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @G-S

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Just to make sure, may we ask you if the laptop you have is one of the Intel® NUC Laptop Kits? We believe this is not the case based on the processor model "Intel® Core™ i9-11950H Processor" (none of the current Intel® NUC Laptop Kits comes with that CPU model) but we want to confirm that in order to set the right expectations. We are asking this because every computer manufacturer (OEM) may customize and design the system with specific features, settings, and customizations to meet their needs and requirements.

The processor has internal connections (pipelines) that OEMs may use to provide graphics functionality and connect to video ports (outputs) on the computer (as per their design). They may also decide if any of the video ports would be connected to a discrete Graphics Processing Unit (dGPU). In that case, the one that handles the technical details and information about the system and its architecture is the OEM and we won't be able to provide or confirm that type of information since that would be out of our scope.

We don't comment on third-party products, therefore, the best thing to do is to check this directly with the Computer Manufacturer OEM for proper assistance and accurate information.

In case these inquiries are regarding an Intel® NUC Laptop Kit, please provide the full/exact model or run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello G-S

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos